gear setup for noise (pictures)

Started by jesusfaggotchrist, April 05, 2014, 09:22:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cementimental

It's a pioneering personal computer, I think a misspent childhood waiting for Manic Miner and Bubble Bobble to load from cassette is half the reason I even like noise and extreme electronic sounds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0EfycbDhiw

dietsociety

Quote from: l.b. on April 17, 2014, 09:55:50 PM
Quote from: Cementimental on April 17, 2014, 12:20:55 AM

any and all gear setup photos are valid in my book.

why? not trying to be a prick just curious. do you think they are all equally, comparatively valuable? Or valuable in and of themselves?

I think that even if it's a setup that you've seen many times, if the person is doing something interesting with it - it's worth hearing/seeing. I've seen a lot of setups where it's contact mic -> dod distortion (grunge/thrash/whatever) -> mixer. Is that interesting in and of itself? No, maybe not - but settings, environments etc are all factors that lots of people want to discredit/discount. That stuff can be gleaned from the most typical setup and boring photo.

Here's Skull Servant NE/SE's setup for the last couple months.

Traynor 6 channel mixer where everything pretty much goes into. Boss DSD-2 Digital Delay/Sampler is connected to:

Shopping cart with contact mic.

Typically the oscillator box (built off of the Weird Sound Generator schematic) > Boss DS1 > Boss RC3 Looper > mixer & Digitech PDS20/20 > mixer
Trogotronic 101 > mixer

These were taken today after we fucked around last week for some recordings that we have upcoming.

dietsociety

Holy shit, sorry for the big photos.

online prowler

Quote from: Cementimental on April 21, 2014, 12:23:53 AM
It's a pioneering personal computer, I think a misspent childhood waiting for Manic Miner and Bubble Bobble to load from cassette is half the reason I even like noise and extreme electronic sounds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0EfycbDhiw

Hæ!Hæ! I remember those scratching sounds from the Commondore Vic 20 and 64s ! Oh' what memories of a life well spent wasted !

andy vomit

the vomit arsonist :: basic setup, although i've recently swapped the monotribe out for a microbrute
thevomitarsonist.wordpress.com
danversstaterecordings.blogspot.com

Cementimental

Got a third micro pedal (the really cheap rat clone on the left, like £15 from China on ebay) today, tried a really tiny feedback loop. :) Not many pedals this size are actually all that cheap, and most of them are clones of pretty boring/non-extreme pedals, but they are cute and saving table and bag space in pedal-centric live setups is very appealing :)

dietsociety

Quote from: andy vomit on April 22, 2014, 05:19:53 PM

the vomit arsonist :: basic setup, although i've recently swapped the monotribe out for a microbrute

I've been looking for a Boss SP 202 or 303, what's your opinion of the 303?

tinnitustimulus

least obivous would probably be  the Holowon Static Egg fuzz and the space heater element in the back.

Felicia Gaggins

nowirehangers

Most recent Forbidden Colors setup I have been recording with.
The Yellow box is a Critter & Guitari Kaleidoloop.

Cementimental

https://soundcloud.com/cementimental/cementimental-live-polarity-bash-anatums-abode-london-23-may-2014

Nice low-tech show in a squatted art/community space. I was supposed to make my idea of 'pop music' but that whole concept went out of the window since I didn't have time to prepare anything so I just went for contact mic junk via home made fuzz and bought octaves. :)

Zugzwang Productions

Quote from: tinnitustimulus on April 25, 2014, 11:13:00 AM

least obivous would probably be  the Holowon Static Egg fuzz and the space heater element in the back.

Just curious to know how you use the Tascam (it's a Portastudio 414 right ?) in live condition ? I bought one and want to use for tape loops. If you have tips and tricks for feedbacking or cool stuff like that I'm all ears.

tinnitustimulus

I prefer TASCAM 424 mk I and mk II for better tape speed options, but mine are broken. I use loops but I also switch over to live channels. for feedback loops i usually just put the effect sends to the line in channels, but i've seen the headphone jack used too, I just burn things out too fast to want to try that.

For multitrack tape loops, the only advice I'd have is to make each channel distinct, each a different frequency range, a different texture, but make it complementary to each other, like adding colors to a palette to make a painting. It is better not to have every channel full sounding because they are just going to cancel eachother out, though I like having one channel that does this to cut everything else out suddenly.  

Sometimes i record loops on the fly during the performance, but it's never usually good. Even when I saw a performance where one was using live instruments and one trying to do tape loops of the other, it just came out with not very engaging loops. It's not a immediate effect like the loop station, it needs more engagement and prep.

That I also "cheat" and use a  digital delay on the fx loop to loop the loops to more loops, and use a pre amp so the signal will go over everything else since effects loops try to be tame to prevent feedback. Keeps the process more organic and interesting, and sometimes I'm practically making a song using the pitch control with it, albeit a very crude one which keeps me in the harsh noise realm hopefully (though I did steal that technique from someone who is released on Not Not Fun multiple times).

Andrew McIntosh

Quote from: tinnitustimulus on July 19, 2014, 12:52:01 AM
loop to loop the loops to more loops loop to loop the loops to more loops loop to loop the loops to more loops loop to loop the loops to more loops loop to loop the loops to more loops loop to loop the loops to more loops loop to loop the loops to more loops loop to loop the loops to more loops loop to loop the loops to more loops loop to loop the loops to more loops loop to loop the loops to more loops loop to loop the loops to more loops loop to loop the loops to more loops loop to loop the loops to more loops loop to loop the loops to more loops loop to loop the loops to more loops loop to loop the loops to more loops loop to loop the loops to more loops loop to loop the loops to more loops loop to loop the loops to more loops loop to loop the loops to more loops loop to loop the loops to more loops loop to loop the loops to more loops loop to loop the loops to more loops loop to loop the loops to more loops loop to loop the loops to more loops

You'll have to forgive me, I just felt compelled.
Shikata ga nai.