Artifacts sent via postal services

Started by Levas, February 06, 2014, 11:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Levas

Well, I don't know how to name this theme. The thing is, today while packing and unpacking stuff and I remembered one old story from Lithuanian underground that happened some 20 years ago or so. There were two bands - black and death metal. Black/thrash metal one some of you might probably know, it's Dissimulation - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_esn4iccl8o. The other one is still without any release so the name is not important cause it's mostly unknown. The more interesting thing is that these bands were always conflicting and it was quite difficult even to have them on one bill. They are not that friendly nowadays too. The reason for conflict was mostly ideologic.
So death metal band just one time sent to black metallists toilet paper that was just used. well, shit and so on. This has got even more intense after some fights like "don't send me your shitty toilet  paper" : "Fuck you you black metal faggot" and fists went into action. But sort of communication by exchanging shitty used toilet papers continued for a few years while people became bored with that.
Other thing was when I started receiving slices of cheese from a band here in Lithuania. They lived in a different city and I've got a dozen or more letters with one slice of cheese because once drunk I talked about how cheese is very good with beer, etc. This was not the conflict, but it was just interesting to get that years ago. It's a pity I've stopped receiving these cheeses because of lack of communication from my side...
I know that people were exchanging goodies more frequently in earlier years and now it's enough to whine somewhere on the internet, but these sort of intentionally absurd or hateful things are always something to remember and to share. Perhaps that shitty paper or cheese could be called mail-art, but I doubt that. If you have something to share - write here. It would be interesting to read.

burdizzo

Seeing as you mention toilet paper - years ago, when I had a bit of time, I used to write people letters on rolls of (unused!) toilet paper, and roll it back up, and send it that way. Not hateful, but a little absurd, I suppose.

Levas

well, it's not so good comparing to used toilet paper, but more interesting than writing on a back side of a flyer or so.
Also some years back I've read about the release or the style of recording or something like that where the dictophone or something like that would be sent from one person to another and it would be triggered by sound and thus after receiving a package, a person would have a whole recording of travelling of the package. Maybe it was done frequently, I don't remember, just have some reminescences reading about this on noise fanatics or so.

online prowler

Perhaps that shitty paper or cheese could be called mail-art? HÆ!HÆ! Nice one!!!

Very good thread. Can't remember anything at the moment though. Quite interesting the package recording. Will look into that.

Bob

So he has a new label now Familjegraven (family grave) https://www.facebook.com/familjegraven
I think this will just be a tag or label for his project Brighter Death Now releases as the name maybe imply s
"New Brighter Death Now album 'With Promises of Death' out on October 15th on his new label, Familjegraven"

GEWALTMONOPOL

I once carried a bottle of dark brown morning piss on me for a couple of weeks hoping to run in to an "old friend" who'd pushed his luck more than any decency would allow for. Not mail art in the traditional sense since it would have been delivered by hand from the creator himself. Unfortunately I never ran into the old friend and the moment has since passed so my hand delivered mail art statement will never happpen. Shame because I know for a fact that he CRAVED that quarter litre of rancid piss all over his person.
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...