Amplifiers for noise : Combo?

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, January 21, 2014, 05:43:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bleak Existence

Levas

Very good topic at the right moment.
Mainly I was using - nice and bassy Hartke vx410 + HA2500 head, VOX AD50VT guitar amp and Wharfedale SVP-15P monitors. After years and overloads of sound because "the louder the better to rehearse in" Wharfedale monitors went silent and, well, RIP. I'm still thinking whether there is a need for monitors or no, but it seems just like a rather expensive addition to equipment if playing just noise.

Coma Detox

I've always used the same rig, two Ampeg 8x10's a SVT-4pro and an old beat up acoustic head, mic'd with shure sm57's.  I'd like to add a decent condenser mic into their too at some point if I get to recording again.

STREETMEAT

good topic. i use a broken 2x12" combo amp. one of the 12" speakers is missing. input is broken so i have to plug the cable half way/quarter of the way in to get loud sound. i wouldnt have it any other way. if i record using it ill use the shitty built in mic from my digirecorder or a crank microphone.

AVFN

currently searching for my first amp. the big question seems to be: how important is wattage? does anyone here have an opinion on how wattage can affect the volume or frequency range?

Stipsi

I recently bought a randall high gain combo for guitar, recording some metal junk with contact mics and
pedals, using a shure sm57, but at the moment i have a lot of difficulties to find a decent sound.
Not loud neither thick.
Probably i have to adjust something.
North Central
Mademoiselle Bistouri
Daddy's Entertainment.
PERVERT AND PROUD.

Nolan

Quote from: Stipsi on December 04, 2017, 06:44:54 PM
I recently bought a randall high gain combo for guitar, recording some metal junk with contact mics and
pedals, using a shure sm57, but at the moment i have a lot of difficulties to find a decent sound.
Not loud neither thick.
Probably i have to adjust something.

Try different mic placements, the mic facing directly to the centre of the speaker will make things brighter, just off centre will give it more body, ideally set up two mics in these positions and mix the two results (watch for phase inversion, very easy to fix if recording digitally), also try one mic close to the speaker and one pulled back some distance to capture different sounds.

For junk metal i've had the best luck recording it once, then reamping it again clean and loud and recording that. If you have impedance with reamping run your signal through a cheap mixer before it goes into the amp. Too much gain and volume on junk metal can render it very blurry, which may or may not be what you're going for.

Peterson

I need a smallish practice amp with a true spring reverb, hoping those who play guitar could help with recommendations. All but one music shop in my area closed down so I can't really mess with stuff in person as I'd prefer.