Started by Ulmer, June 09, 2010, 11:18:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

XXX

Quote from: Zeno Marx on October 18, 2015, 03:09:11 AM
the list finalized.

1st tier:
Abu Nidal LP 1987
Coup d'Etat LP 1987
Coup d'Etat/Abu Nidal CD 1992 (incomplete reissue)
Bhutto CD-single 1991
United States of Islam CD 1991
Zul'm CD 1992

2nd tier:
Iran CD 1988
Intifaxa CD 1990
Satyajit Eye DAT 1993
Hamas Arc CD 1993
Drugsherpa 3"CD 1994
Drugsherpa reissue (Archive series; with the other tracks on the master submitted at that time)
Hebron Massacre CDEP 1994
Al-Zulfiquar Shaheed CD 1994
Nadir of Purdah CD 1994-1995
Minaret Speaker CD 2015 (Archive series; 2 tracks originally released on the Minaret Speaker 7" in 1996; *one of the bigger surprises from this organization process)
"Hand of Fatima" track 1999
The Unfinished Mosque 12" side A only 2000 (Archive series; from Drugsherpa 1994 master)

3rd tier:
Jazirat-Ul-Arab LP 1987
The Rape Of Palestine LP 1988
Betrayal CD 1993
Vote Hezbollah CD 1993
Veiled Sisters 2CD 1993
Citadel CD 1994
Blue Mosque 2CD 1994
Zealot 2CD 1994
Sycophant of Purdah 1994 (Archive series; ONLY "For Muntaz" because the Gary Numan-esque synths)
Silknoose CD 1995
Un-used Remix's 1994-1995 (Archive series; unfinished and untitled material)

this list has been a huge help for me getting into one of my now favorite acts. the "top tier" is some of my most spun as of late. thanks to ZenoMarx & all others for the help.

Zeno Marx

How many new releases are actually John Delf using Muslimgauze as a source?  What the hell does "post production" mean?  I'm sorry I keep coming back to this.  I don't care to be so skeptical, crossing the line into cynicism at times, but some of this story feels opaque.  On the positive side, if someone is booking 4-6 hours of studio time and walking into said time prepared and ready to go, I can believe there is a lot of unheard material collecting dust.  A lot of unfinished material, which is where John Delf could be tempted, or enticed, into a heavy hand.

Listening to In Search of the Abraham Mosque 2011 the past couple days.  While not focused and falling off the rails here and there, it is satisfying.  The dub and digital pop that I didn't care to hear from him, but also solid percussion and smart field recordings with lively ambiance.  Parts of it I don't care if I hear again, which almost don't feel like Muslimgauze, but rather an emulation; but also segments that would be at home in my 2nd tier or 3rd tier.  I don't know if it is me or what.

https://www.discogs.com/Muslimgauze-In-Search-Of-The-Abraham-Mosque/release/3057839
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

host body

Quote from: Marko-V on December 15, 2016, 05:49:51 PM
Quote from: collapsedhole on October 20, 2015, 09:18:38 PM
anyone care to share thoughts on the book (which also came with a compilation CD) "chasing the shadow of bryn jones"? i sometimes feel compelled to buy it off of discogs - listed under the title of "a putrid oasis" - but know to little about it to ever pull the trigger...

beyond that it is a biography, what else is there? interviews, notes on recordings, etc?

The book is essential to anyone interested in Bryn's work and life. There's very few interview snippets from the man himself, it seems like he wasn't very talkative person in a first place, but Ibrahim manages to interview a lot of people who have actually met and worked with Bryn along the years. The author even visits his past home where his dad still lives (or lived at the moment of writing the book) and manages to take a quick look into his room and interview Bryn's family members. All kind of topics are covered here: his techniques of recording, analysis on music, his mental state with various ups & downs, childhood memories, gigs and travels etc. The only disappointments are that I wished there was much more pictures of the cover art, inserts etc. and a detailed analysis on his vast back catalogue. Otherwise a great book. I own the big box of records and a book and accompanying compilation cd. Somehow I feel like the LP's on the box set does not represent the best of his catalogue but maybe that's just my vague first impression... seriously gotta take another listen. Still I don't regret bying the whole package (especially because as a bonus gift I got the Hussein Mahmood... promo LP for free along with the purchase).

does anyone know if it's available digitally? i'm very much a fan, he had a very singular aesthetic that i admire greatly.

Decrepitude

There's supposedly going to be a CD-version of the VOD box. Fingers crossed that it's available with a book also.

PeekingRat

Quote from: Decrepitude on December 27, 2019, 10:46:02 AM
There's supposedly going to be a CD-version of the VOD box. Fingers crossed that it's available with a book also.

Where did you get the info on the CD box?

absurdexposition

Quote from: PeekingRat on January 09, 2020, 04:35:52 PM

From VOD Facebook group: "VOD-Designer Sandro Schleier has already finished his design works for the Muslimgauze 11 CD Box-Set reissue of "Chasing the Shadow of Bryn Jones" to be released Mid 2020"

https://www.facebook.com/vinylondemandrecords/posts/2033398013464103
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

PeekingRat

Quote from: absurdexposition on January 09, 2020, 05:52:57 PM
Quote from: PeekingRat on January 09, 2020, 04:35:52 PM

From VOD Facebook group: "VOD-Designer Sandro Schleier has already finished his design works for the Muslimgauze 11 CD Box-Set reissue of "Chasing the Shadow of Bryn Jones" to be released Mid 2020"

https://www.facebook.com/vinylondemandrecords/posts/2033398013464103

Thanks. I'll definitely be grabbing a copy when it comes out.

Zeno Marx

I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Zeno Marx

Would Muslimgauze be embraced by 2000s industrial culture like it was in the late 80s and 90s?  Maybe part of the Ant-Zen stable rather than Staalplaat/Soleilmoon?  Or with some type of political world music situation totally removed?  Compilation/tape culture and being distributed by Red Rhino helped guide the experimental audience to him.  Tastes are so focused now.  His dub and hip-hop direction notwithstanding, even his earliest work with some industrial sounds is so far removed from anything going on here today.

I'm surprised Iran hasn't been reissued on LP.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Zeno Marx

I've been re-listening to his very earliest work from '83'-86', Observe With Sadiq Bey 1999, and Tandoori Dog 1998 (reissued as separate CDs with bonus tracks).  My opinions of the latter two have changed a bit, but I could also just be fiending.  I still feel like nearly every track on Observe could be much shorter, as if it is an album of ideas and demos that he never went back to edit.  So much repetition, but if you're in the mood for him and the tabla, there it is.  I don't know what tabla rolls are called (maybe just rolls?), but lots of quick finger work.  It can get tedious, but it's very satisfying if you're in the mood.  Tandoori Dog strikes me as transitional work.  He's experimenting with tones and style that aren't all-out dub yet, though a fair bit of Jaagheed Zarb is based on beats and ideas that could be mistaken for Beastie Boys segments circa '92-'94 (no slight...I like the BB).  More funk than dub or hip-hop.  He still has my full attention with almost all of this 4LP set (still digesting the bonus tracks).  Hammer & Sickle 1983 hit me square and hard.  If you want to hear him not sounding like what we associate with Muslimgauze, try "Dissidents In Exile" from a 1984 comp; a pretty great electronic track.  All of this caused me to create a 4th tier on my list, but I'm still organizing it.

Also, yet still new-to-me archival releases, like Damascus and Dome of the Rock (recorded in 1993).   And Deceiver 1996 is cued.

I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Zeno Marx

Good and interesting points.  Confident here, but self-doubt there.  Clearly nerdy.  "Are any of these good?"

and "political desert cyberpunk ambient".  Right on.

I have to admit I've never thought of associating Cabaret Voltaire.  I look forward to going there.

EDIT:  anyone honed in on his art and graphic design?  Did he do it all himself?  Or did he leave it up to the labels?  Thoughts?  Opinions?
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Zeno Marx

Quote from: SILVUM on May 24, 2020, 10:33:15 PMI approach each "release" as something where I have the expectation of one enjoyable piece of music, most albums are total garbage save 1 or 2 tracks where he finally hits the mark that he keeps banging his head against, or you get the outlier oddity tracks where he just fucking tries something different, and those are why I listen (besides all the 80s stuff which is far more edited and considered more patiently).
This punishing truth makes it difficult for someone who prefers the album over the single or EP.

Quote from: SILVUM on May 24, 2020, 11:27:57 PMHe was trained as a graphic designer, it's almost like once he stops worrying about how it looks he just implodes and becomes unable to frame his own work, leaves it in the hands of others and they don't really reduce flow.
An hour or two later, this explanation sank in and hit.  Man.  Thanks for the perspective.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Bloated Slutbag

Here's a list I put together quite a while back but don't think I ever posted. Just basically whittled down to the ones that still for me retain some redeeming value, sometimes on the basis of a handful of tracks. No insights orders tiers rhymes or reasons, just fun on occasion to blindly grab from the select pile and remind myself that yes I still dig the shiz-

Return Of Black September
Salaam Alekum, Bastard
Observe with Sadiq Bey
Speaking With Hamas
United States of Islam
Al-Zulfiquar Shaheed
Sycophant Of Purdah
Gun Aramaic 1 & 2
Unfinished Mosque
Chapter Of Purity
Kashmiri Queens
Farouk Enjineer
Jazirat-Ul-Arab
Hand of Fatima
Vote Hezbollah
Fatah Guerrilla
Jaal Ab Dullah
Azzazin 1 & 2
Coup D'Etat
Mullah Said
Sandtrafikar
Armsbazzar
Satyajit Eye
Drugsherpa
Hamas Arc
Jebel Tariq
Fakir Sind
Abu Nidal
Silknoose
Re-mixs
Narcotic
Flajelata
Maroon
Intifaxa
Citadel
Bhutto
Infidel
Zul'm
Sufiq
Azad
Hajj
Iran
Uzi

A few- Kashmiri Queens, Farouk Enjineer, Jaal Ab Dullah, Infidel- squeak in literally via one or two tracks I can't quite part with. Never say never.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

accidental

Thinking i'd start from the beginning i picked up Kabul close to two decades ago. Never liked it much. I can't remember which i picked after that, it was either Uzi or United States of Islam. I've played Uzi a couple of times the last two months. And I just can't stand the drums/ryhthmic side of Uzi. The percussion underneath is alright i guess. Curious to hear what others actually appreciate about this record?

I haven't listened to United States in over a decade. But i remember a very monotone 'beat' (4x4?) throughout the entire record which did not please me. I'll give it another spin soon. I picked up Sandtrafikar for cheap some years ago as i had heard good things about it. I haven't played it yet.

Having heard Kabul, Uzi & United States, and feeling no desire to try another one like those, are there other sides of Muslimgauze - completely different from those mentioned in my post? Preferably released prior his passing.

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: accidental on June 30, 2020, 08:10:19 PM
Thinking i'd start from the beginning i picked up Kabul close to two decades ago. Never liked it much. I can't remember which i picked after that, it was either Uzi or United States of Islam. I've played Uzi a couple of times the last two months. And I just can't stand the drums/ryhthmic side of Uzi. The percussion underneath is alright i guess. Curious to hear what others actually appreciate about this record?

Quote from: SILVUM on July 01, 2020, 02:24:00 AM
Uzi is pretty mediocre to my ears also, and agreed, the drum machine is what ruins it.  It has 4 decent tracks where the elements work for the goal of like, tension cinematics.  If it was just a 7" of these more atmospheric tracks it would be cool.

Interesting criticisms of Uzi and I'd agree, though it's plainly there at the bottom of the list I posted. The first thing I ever bought from Muslimgauze was Abu Nidal, at the recommendation of the the guy at the record shop (who also ran Freedom In A Vacuum - that is to say for me at that time a trusted source). I took it home, played it, hated it, for similar reasons to those outlined above. However, it gradually grew on me...long long after I'd properly got into the project. I dusted it off and the first (title) track I played just hit. So I think for me a good part of the appeal is that it is an important piece of the early puzzle. I'd call Uzi a more abstract rendition of Abu Nidal (and complement to Coup d'Etat). edit but on review yes some of the hard panned percussion on Uzi can distract / cheapen the experience.

One thing about the project- it's hard not to hear bits of everything in everything else. And recordings issued in close proximity tend to have more relative um everything in them than others.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag