RAINBOW BRIDGE 2014: 12 NEW RELEASES

Started by rainbowbridge, January 01, 2014, 10:46:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rainbowbridge

Updated as of 4/7/14

HELLO!!!

This new lovely bunch of coconuts is some kind of a monster. I've been told that it's pretty counter-productive and frankly stupid to release so much at once. But what they don't know is that "pretty," "counter-productive" and "frankly stupid" are three of my middle names. This started off as a handful of just 5 new releases, while the rest were to be put out in 5-tape batches periodically, as was the one before this one. As time went by, I kept working and working and ended up busting out almost ALL of the upcoming releases I had on the assembly line within a several month period. I didn't wanna keep killer jams just sitting on my shelf for the sake of "not releasing too much at once" so... here it all is, just in time to be just a little bit too late for all of that holiday cash you already spent on better labels and artists.

NOTE! The following releases have less than 3 copies left: Weak Password, Core Dump Diaries vol 1 & 2, Time Pretzel Logic and Ideas Of Permanence.

☯ ~ ☯ ~ ☯ ~ ☯ ~ ☯ ~ ☯ ~ ☯ ~ ☯
http://rainbowbridge.storenvy.com
http://rainbowbridge.bandcamp.com

Justin Marc Lloyd/+Pregnant Spore - Solar Activity & Civil Unrest 6" Lathe+CDr w/ Pregnant Lloyd - The Conscious Superbeing c16 RB-173

COMING SOON - PREORDER: http://rainbowbridge.storenvy.com

Newton - Rotting Rainbows b/w Goodbye Candle Haus c32 RB-174

A bogglin tape-heavy + out of this world noisy collage from a hardcore vet of bizarrities you all know and love. Maybe you know him as half of FUN or his gorgeous label of mostly 1-2 minute tapes (but there are other gems of other lengths and formats in there too!) called BREATHMINT. He hides, a lot. In Philly somewhere most of the time. Crack open YouTube and search for him massaging a guitar with Rat Bastard at Cheap Fest IV in Richmond, VA! Anyway, Side A's an assault of every god damn color in the spectrum. Sounds like total synth madness with a dizzying stereo image panning party. Side B is the legendary and much anticipated and super confusing collage masterpiece of a bunch of super drunk friends of mine totally trashing the basement of Candle Haus, complete with lots of glass, after their last show before they all broke up and ruined the noise scene in Fairfax, VA.

Black ink on either light blue, yellow, pale dark red, neon orange, lime green/white zebra print, or dark violet card stock, hand-numbered.  Hand-painted tapes. Limited to 34.

Crank Sturgeon/JML - Input Reddy The Triple Sics split c32 RB-175

Broken and just beautiful, Crank. Electro-acoustics + feedbacky/jacked-up-input-jack electronicy surges and the flicking around of tapes or voices or maybe some pencil sharpeners or something? I don't know. True life this is Crank Sturgeon perfection! Side B is the *totally mysterious* "JML" with only 3 releases out so far plus one compilation appearance. Tape loops, actively ruining a turntable that didn't belong anyway, a visit to a sketchy petting zoo behind a gift shop on the Upper Peninsula in Michigan, MI, etc. Within the last 7:30 minutes you might hear a demo/"B-side" from the Anxiety Flood Cont. sessions by Justin Marc Lloyd for some reason. I'd say this tape is hard to listen to.

Black ink on light pink or hot pink card stock, hand-numbered. Chrome, hand-stamped, prison shell tapes in hard plastic cases. Art by JML. Limited to 36.

Scant/Swallowing Bile - Youth Fountain split c32 RB-176

Scant is Matt Boettke of Richmond, VA. He is one of the most important people on the east coast. He co-owns a new show/art space in RVA called Auxiliary and he's booked tons of shows for local and touring artists along with having a gigantic role in RVA Noise Fest, Cheap Fest and the legendary DC-area house venue, Candle Haus (RIP). His piece on this tape is just flooring. I know him to rehearse and record and erase over and over again, for literally months, to the point of me wanting to wring his fucking neck. Very few could touch this, or get even close. Minimalism in it's perfected stated. Matt is a patient and plan-oriented performer. He's a nazi about texture and timing. This art is like... fine. So fine. Bonus: his contributed recording was 17 minutes long due fuzzy elementary school math training on Matt's part. Matt agreed to let it go to the dubbers 'as is,' as the remaining one minute of material will later be available for listening when the tape is out of print and a download goes up.

Bringing it gritty and un-pretty, mister Ethan Ebeling, a wild and crazy kid from upstate, NY who's been making people in the "black t-shirt harsh noise scene" piss their god damn pants for only a short time now. I don't know where he came from but he hasn't been out of the womb as long as a lot of us and he's got more control over his sounds and performance than most of us had at this point in Ebeling's venture in experimental music. When it comes to "this kind of noise," I get really picky and all that. But I know Ethan, and I've heard Ethan, and I didn't have to hear this piece before I said "absolutely" to putting out a split with him and Boettke on it. Sure enough, his piece struck me like chewing tinfoil and being dragged under a 16 minute tidal wave full of huge boulders and broken glass. You might know Ethan to have a mic in his hand, but not this time. Swallowing Bile's minimal, tumbling textures and spits of feedback, with piss as icing, is words enough!

Black ink on pale light blue card stock, hand-numbered. Hand-stamped, hand-painted, solid white shells with paper labels in hard plastic cases. Art by JML. Limited to 37.

Silver Moult/Sorcerer Torturer - Fecalibrium/Grotesqueticles split c32 RB-177

Scott Kindberg, the sole soul behind the Midnight Sea/Petite Soles/4EYES labels, and one half of Ginger Cortes, performs about 16 minutes of aggressive grossness. Sounds like some mics, soaring feeeeedback, muscle spasms, some tapes, and the most blown out signal that could've been attained at the time. Minimalism in sharp, dirty and primitive presentation. Speaking of dirty, Sorcerer Torturer, the noisiest and shittiest noise-grind solo act still active is from the Dayton/Cinci area of Ohio. That place just cannot stop breeding quality. Justin Lakes, Matthew Reis, Luke & Nate Tandy, Dan Rizer, and way too many more to list! Stu, the Torturer himself, is one of them, but he's the only one with a thick suburban Ohio accent, an embarrassing obsession with Canadian indie-pop, and a bag full of electronics that can survive being thrown from a car on the highway. It's happened and it was my fault. It was almost as terrible and hilarious as Stu's 16 minutes of blistering drum machine blasts, tinny distortion, indecipherable and puffed-up Spazz-esque vocals like his mouth is full of balls and feces. Rock n roll.

Black ink printed on lime green card stock, hand-numbered. Hand-painted, hand-stamped, white shells with paper labels in hard plastic cases. Art by Alyssa Herlocher & JML. Limited to 27.

Juice Machine/PCRV - Ideas Of Permanence split c62 RB-178

As for the group that organized this split, there is the fruitful Juice Machine on side A. They keep Oregon nerdy, freaky, and full of love. Roger Smith and Heather Chessman are an electronics improv duo and they like to jam on that dry analog sound so good. Minimalist humming and buzzy bees glide around at the perfect pace, dripping between discordant arpeggiations and scrambled synthesis spasms. For a while they'll sit almost completely still, letting that moaning womp just exist. And then, with haste, an inappropriately(/perfectly)-timed angular whine will drop out of a box thingie with knobs on it, sci-non-fi style. It's impossible to tell how intently they play, because there is this level of ideal awkwardness and true freeness in their performance. Or maybe they are just seasoned improvisers, listening to the voices in their heads that say "flip that toggle, but then turn that knob slowly and massage that mood."

PCRV is a master of his craft. I've seen his sophisticated live performance. He seems at ease, like he knows exactly what he's doing, but he knowingly admits the level of improvisation and flirting with unpredictability he utilizes in his work. He baked up 4 muffins of totally psychedelic and deranged and harsh-ish hashish. Ideal layering and contrasting of textures. And ideal periods of a single dimension, to separate the complex from the minimal. The nature of the layering is the highlight of these pieces. Matt Taggart of Billings, Montana (wait, Montana is real?) has come so far since he started bustin' moves as Pop Culture Rape Victim aka PCRV in the early 2000's. His sonic palette has widened significantly as clearly heard on this release. He's outstanding at abstracting his deeply-rooted musical intellect (yes, the dude plays rock n' roll music!) and these strange atmospheres prove it. It is often difficult for the properly trained musician to achieve freedom from structure, and even more difficult to work their training in tastefully. Taggart kills it, and my ears thank you.

Black ink printed on super light blue card stock, hand-numbered. Chrome, prison shell tapes with a A-side stickers in hard plastic cases. Art by JML.

Collapsed Arc/Justin Marc Lloyd - Time Pretzel Logic split c90 RB-179

If you know anything about David Russell's work, you likely are familiar with his incessant addiction to/fascination with electro-acoustic short-loops. If you've seen him live, he's probably exploded some baby powder in your eyes and then afterwards given you a big, sweaty hug. What you might not know is that he was once bald and performed at the first ever Rainbow Bridge fest in Baltimore, MD for $20. I was pleasantly surprised when he seemed more than interested in doing a 45 minute piece for a split let alone a solo album, but his piece does deliver! It's like a party that gets shut down just as you're finally starting to get really fucking weird. Russell's signature sound never gets old because he's able to make the most fluid and flowing jammage out of seemless 2-ish second loops, forever, without ever making the same source sounds twice! His palette consists of a lot of bells and whistles (literally), but this is a true ebb-and-flow-er! This A-side makes up for all the small editions of short releases of his I've missed out on.

At the flip of the tape, and Justin Marc Lloyd drags 3 distinct 15-minute pieces into the picture, from vastly different recording sessions, further exploring/controlling/being controlled by electronic feedback, home-made devices, tape collage+manipulation+loops, cheap keyboards, and guitars. All three songs have titles and concepts referencing the Invisible Source Field. Or, to make things easier for you, perhaps refer to them as the belt-sander, the oxygen deprivation, and the time a crowded mystery-pocket of particles got married in a sinkhole.

Black ink on lilac card stock, hand-numbered. Hand-painted, hand-stamped, hand-stickered retail tapes in hard plastic cases. Art by JML. Limited to 23.

Justin Marc Lloyd - Core Dump Diaries Vol. 1 & 2 2xc60 RB-180

120 minutes of archived audio. A double whopper of junk drawers filled with rehearsals, experimentation, tests, room-ambient work-out music and a few feline disruptions. Recording methods from walkmans to cell phones to computers.

Black ink printed on dark, pale red card stock, hand-numbered. Hand-painted, stickered cassettes. Soft poly cases. Both cassettes are joined by a spiffy stretchy band of some sort. Totally post-rubber band age. Art by JML. Limited to 12.

Juice Machine/Path To Lobster Believers - Weak Password split c30 RB-181

Stumbling upon shiny new c30s that my friend sold me at a yard sale=I hit up Roger and Heather (again!) for (another!) split! I just love Juice Machine too much and it's become a problem. Patient, screwy analog electronic dreams. Sometimes it's liquid and sometimes you can chew it. From headaches to sleep, the machine never stops dispensing, because it is a proudly free-improv world those two live in. Recorded in either the early 70s or perhaps the year 2733.

The Path's piece is strictly micro-cassette collage and manipulation, mastered insultingly nicely. High fidelity shit-fi. Out of tune acoustic guitar meandering, improvisational vocal poetry, broken thrift store keyboards, taped recordings of taped recordings playing in the next room, found-object resonance and texture experimentation, all garbled nicely by dying batteries. Sounds drunk in a sewer.

Each copy comes with a one-of-a-kind abstract collage/painted j-card and a printed insert with info. Solid black tapes with hand-painted paper labels on the A-sides. Limited to 18.

FASX/Prgnnt Spr - The Wizards Of Waverly Place Was My Father split cs RB-182

Repurposed cassettes of various lengths, quality checked, featuring three opuses per artist equalling 22-ish minutes of blather per side. FASX is relatively new on my sonar. Probably because he's 12 or 13 or something. Marceline Clanton (formerly but actually never Wade Clanton), aka FASX of Colorado somewhere, has become a pretty good friend of mine. He runs Null Religion and releases mega nice tapes every once in a while. Marcy's side features a little tape collage and home-altered electronics, but totally blown to bits and smooshed up to your teeth. You can even feel the frequencies giving your choppers a little cleaning that you know you're long overdue for. Consider this tape a post-card from your dentist.

Prgnnt Spr is a blatantly anonymous project by who knows that injects some Xanax-electronics, a party of synthesized oscillating, and a family of tapes & records into the picture. A soundtrack for micro-organisms from Planet X to dance to. "Crunchy." -actual quite from bassist of Gwar.

Black ink on baby-blue card stock, hand-numbered. Hand-painted, hand-stamped paper labels on various types of cassettes in hard plastic cases. Limited to 31.

Widow's Bath - And Their Children Shall Adhere To The Graves Of Those Slain c10 RB-183

Remastered extractions from files recovered from a field recorder hidden in the corner of the performance room of the legendary DC-area noise-bunker Candle Haus. And here are some more really long sentences that may or may not be run-ons: Justin Marc Lloyd & Matt Boettke occasionally team up and construct a "set" that doesn't really sound like either of them when they are on their own. But as this tape evolves, the trademark still/breathing drones of Matt Boettke, and the tape abuse and electronic alterations of Justin Marc Lloyd come right the heck out of the woodwork. And this is all before 10 minutes clocks in and ends the tape. This is the last material Widow's Bath had sitting around and unreleased, and it was even recorded several years ago. Until they record again...if they record again...muahahahaha *fade in the tape*

Black ink printed on lime green/white zebra print card stock, hand-numbered. Hand-painted, A side-stamped paper labels on black foil tapes in hard plastic cases. Art by JML.

RB-184 HMMMMM....

Breakdancing Ronald Reagan + Pregnant Spore - Are Rock-hard And Bodacious collaboration CDr RB-185

2 weeks of in-person jamming between Johnny Cash of Austin, TX and Justin Marc Lloyd of Chicago, IL resulted in this beast of much intermittence and contrast. This contrast, in style and preference in experimental music, presented "problems" that redeemed themselves by repurposing themselves as something new, significant, and personal. Recorded on various devices, mixed and mastered by both Cash and Lloyd. This 11-track collection of total improv is rough on the ears and stretchy on the brain. Crisp looping of shared electro-acoustic devices processed individually. Feedback used as drone zones and mangled textures, sometimes at the same time. Digital synth flirtation, equal parts destructive and stupid. There are bouts of minimalism and restraint, to shine light on disorienting dynamics, but it's an  overwhelming head-scratcher in the end. Guest jammage by Nathan Hill! For fans of slicey-dicey kooky-kinky vibes.

Black ink on neon pink or light blue card stock, housed in XBox & Playstation cases w/ one-of-a-kind inserts carefully picked from some rich household's recycling bin. Hand-stamped CDrs. Art by JML. Limited to 45.

Breakdancing Ronald Reagan - Enabler (Long Live The Home) CDr RB-186

There are hundreds of videos of BRR (Johnny Cash) playing live on the internet but I promise you, even though he is really tight live, what you've heard and seen doesn't come close to this album!! Not necessarily because I think it's his "best work." It's just that, if he actually ever performed this album live in particular, anyone in attendance would likely collapse. I like that idea, so I put it out. I'm talking limbs rotting, falling off like Barbara Maitlin's jaw. Mad cow disease, even. My mind is just melting and melting with every spin. I could say more but I want to surprise everyone who grips one. I've decided to issue a disclaimer, however. I'm not sure what it says because it's written in gibberish. It's on the insert, but it's printed in invisible xerox ink. Literally invisible. A black light won't help you decipher it. It will however accompany your listen nicely if you ever went through a slightly gothy, risk-taking parachute pants stage. This is true parachute pants experimental sound collage. But not without hints of BRR's ~signature~ harsh-acity and spastic decision-making.

Black ink on neon yellow card stock, housed in XBox & Playstation cases w/ one-of-a-kind inserts carefully picked from some rich household's recycling bin. Even the original inserts for the games have been left in the cases because why the fuck not, it's BRR. Hand-stamped CDrs. Art by JML. Limited to 45.

Coming later in a totally different order than this: The Others (Andrew Kirschner & Jake Johnson/Moltar) c32, Developer Remixes JML c21, Ted Mankin & The Ingrown Tobies / OK Putrid / Yves/Son/Ace / Path To Lobster Believers 4-way split c90, v/a - Potpourri Of Andrew c90, Terrorist Financing c5, Skin Graft c100, Blood Stereo 6" lathe, The Human Excuse c60, Endometrium Cuntplow CDr, JML c120 of new and previously released material, 229 c5, J. Marcloid c16, Tärr c21, Robert Ridley-Shackleton/Blue Spectrum split c20, Copkiller c60, Somnaphon/Inappropriate King Live split c40,

OTHER NEW RELEASES!

* JUSTIN MARC LLOYD - YOUR CD (LOVE EARTH MUSIC) order

'Your,' Justin Marc Lloyd's newest effort, is an 11-track/57-minute vivid and conceptual effort intended as a highlight of JML's output. It acts as a slightly higher-fi, more focused follow-up to the double-CDr set "Erroneous Zones" (Rainbow Bridge, edition of 22). However, this does not mean it lacks awkwardly dynamic meanderings that are performed in such a way that they are "relevantly juxtaposed" alongside whatever other gunk is bubbling. Sometimes it is as if the spitting is the guitar figure, while any remnant of loosely timed string plucking is just metaphysical accompaniment conducted by some aspect of nature. The album draws a broad range of inspiration from industrial music and abstract electronic composers, but somehow simultaneously, it suspiciously smells of krautrock, post-punk, and no-wave stylings, like it's all fighting to be heard at times. And although the grit of shrill electronic devices arguing with each other has it's place in 'Your' (as heard in 'Panic Dreams' or the 'Feeling Submissive' tracks), the album also explores the psychedelic side of textural discordance (best portrayed in both 'Most Of The World' and 'Justice Trap And/Or Party'). It is worth mentioning that valleys of space for choral carrier-bleed and hiss are always within reach among the moments of minimalism and punctuation; the wrinkled tape-tape loops cycling, or the modified keyboards barely sputtering down-tempo'd sequences through a cheap pitch-down effect. All "problems" easily "fixed," but the embracing and flirtation with imperfection and dysfunction is an obtuse and vital aspect of JML's work.

The album as a whole JML describes as "a collection of audible manifestations of (sur)realized aspects of Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy. This not only includes it's core values as legitimately important, but also a hefty fascination with the bland and banal stigma of "self-help" in our culture." REBT is defined as a comprehensive, active-directive, philosophically and empirically based psychotherapy which focuses on resolving emotional and behavioral problems and disturbances and enabling people to lead happier and more fulfilling lives.

The CD's eco-pak packaging features stream-of-consciousness mixed-media art printed on all sides of the packaging. The inside contains a xeroxed page of art and lyrics along with the CD, which doubles as a full-color Wayne Dyer mask. (Wayne Dyer is a motivational speaker and the author of "Your Erroneous Zones.") The whole thing is distributed in a clear plastic CD sleeve/bag for protection.

This staple in JML's discography is a very self-defining release, much like the Year Of The Water Dragon series, or the Anxiety Flood Cont. c22 that is now pending a re-release. 'Your' was released by California's popular noisy imprint Love Earth Music, who is also home to releases by Crank Sturgeon, Merzbow, Brutal Truth, Cock E.S.P., Bastard Noise, KK Null, and the label's family collective, +DOG+. It is being sold for only $6 and is limited to just 150.

Also in stock in the distro:
* Water Bullet/Tween Heat split c46 (Minerva)
* JML - I'm Sorry For The Thoughts Assigned To My Name (Wasted Capital Since 2013)
* Tärr / Cornelius F. Van Stafrin III – Split 12" LP (OMS-B)
* Various Artists - 4 Things 3" CDr (Bicephalic)
* False Flag - Metal Birds 3" CDr (FTAM)
* Metalux - Paw The Elated Ruins c36 (Obsolete Units)
* Kilt - Culos Asados c44 (Obsolete Units)
* Power Windoze - An Air Of Fresh Breath CD (Crystal Magic)
* Inappropriate King Live - Concrete Tapes #6 (Modem Drama) c20 (For Noise's Sake)
* OK Putrid - Staple_Jammer 3" CDr (Petite Soles)
* Dialtone Aggressor #1 Zine+CDr (Forever Escaping Boredom)
* Copkiller/Cops split c30 (Asoundesign Recording)
* The Three Pound Enigma (Dementia & Hope Trails/Boar/Bob Bellerue) split c90 (Null Religion)
* Dan Of Earth - Grab Your Hairnet And Warplugs And Come To The Machine c24 (Colbeck Labs, 2013)
+ tons of titles from Canada's Prairie Fire Tapes and sister label Dub Ditch Picnic!

Discogs distro: http://www.discogs.com/seller/angelhair0
(includes most distro & RB items + TONS of second-hand jams!)

NEW SWAMP CIRCLE BATCH (FREE DOWNLOAD) COMING SOON AT http://swampcircle.bandcamp.com

rainbowbridge

hello, updated the initial post for some corrections and up to date info