Best Industrial/Noise Compilations

Started by Jaakko V., December 21, 2013, 01:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: CMSFoundation on August 28, 2015, 10:23:40 PM
Höga Nord has already been mentioned, and deserves all the praise it gets. Each track is long enough to absorb you, distinct enough to be a contrast from the other three, and representative of a certain style that was happening at the time, like Bocksholm's metal hammering and queasy atmosphere or Vårtgård's corroded rusty blasts or Dusa's tape-damaged violin and episodic editing sequence.

ah forgot Höga Nord, damn fine compilation
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: Zeno Marx on February 02, 2017, 10:22:18 PM
Best Industrial/Noise Compilations

http://www.special-interests.net/forum/index.php?topic=4233.0

I merged the messages from both topics.

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on February 02, 2017, 09:26:19 PM
I miss vinyl compilations. Some nice, reliable label should start compiling one right now & invite Mania to contribute...

I think obstacle might be that costs of making vinyl vs. demand for the vinyl compilations. No matter how great the release, I think vast majority of people look down compilation as sort of obsolete idea. Perhaps, the traditional concept of just throwing in bunch of random submissions into one CD is useless now.

However, like expressed by few people here, some concept - be it theme, geographic or style, it could still be very interesting release. It's all about how well release is curated. Who to ask, and learning to reject crap even if it creates butthurt.

I've been toying around with few compilation ideas, and we'll see if something actually comes out during this year.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

BlackHole

Quote from: Scat-O-Logy on February 02, 2017, 09:43:25 PM
Quote from: bitewerksMTB on February 02, 2017, 09:26:19 PM
I miss vinyl compilations. Some nice, reliable label should start compiling one right now & invite Mania to contribute...

THIS. Red Scum will be released on vinyl by Viva Angel Press, quite limited edition.

Great news.

Ashmonger

I like the compilation tapes that Unrest does too, they're generally just filled with quality stuff even if there's here and there something I like less.
Hated Perversions is great indeed, due to both the tracks and the layout. Gender with no purpose, other than... and Animal Bizarre are nice too, due to the tracks and the samples in between.
When it comes to CMI, I only have Flowers Made of Snow, it's been years since I listened to it, but I really liked it as well.
Let's not forget All My Sins Remembered, I'm not fully through it, but so far I've been impressed by the general quality of the music, the layout and the writings.
Transmissions of Hatred is something I really should get, judging by the line up.
Projekt Neue Ordnung that Tesco is going to release seems like it should be great too, not certain whether I'll get it though, will depend on my finances...

In general I've got the feeling that Noise/Industrial/PE compilations are more interesting than Black/Death/... Metal compilations. One reason might be that Metal compilations most often seem to have some sort of promotional aim. This does of course also count for the Unrest compilations for example, but there also seems more quality control...

david lloyd jones

united forces comps on unrest are indeed joyful.
also audio dissection's Americanise reissue
an afflicted mans musical box
morality and it's reply, riposte on broken flag
that reducto ad absurdum comp that  featured photocopy of Manson on the sleeve with gothic letraset-badly reproduced and derivative though it is/was.
rising from the red sand.
f&v series comps-nyrkki &

GEWALTMONOPOL

None of the compilations from Unrest are about promotion. As if we're trying to pimp the artists or something. Fuck that!

While we're on the subject. Contrary to popular delusion the three UFoI compilations aren't even Unrest releases, they are festival releases. Hard as it may be to fathom for some but I challenge anyone to find where it says Unrest Productions on those tapes because it doesn't. The people who added them on discogs didn't bother to find out and jumped to conclusion.

Either way they are done. No more festival compilations. I'm sick of doing them.
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...

Duncan

Also never been able to understand why people associate those comps with unrest.

Ashmonger

Wow, I'm sorry if I offended you by my wrong assumption. I however didn't mean that you were pimping the artists, I do however feel that with being attached to the fest and being spread even among people who weren't at the fest (as is the case with me and I really like those comps as I said earlier), they're in a different category than conceptual compilations such as the ones that f.e. Institute of Paraphilia Studies releases.
And I didn't notice whether it says Unrest or not on the cover, stuff like that doesn't really interest me that much either to be honest.
Anyway, let's keep it to that I think those comps are very good. I know hate is great and all, but you don't always have to focus on that alone, hehe.

GEWALTMONOPOL

A mild irritation on my behalf being lumbered in some less serious category with the UFoI compilations. There are themes attached to all three of them as well although not to the nerdy and obvious degree as for example various IOPS releases. The themes are traceable via the artwork and the samples in the Black Insignia tracks.

It's not of huge important to me either that they are not actually Unrest releases. In some ways I enjoy the confusion and the blind assumption but it doesn't alter the fact that they never were released on Unrest.

I should be able to disagree as well as offer factual corrections without being accused of having a go.

Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...

Ashmonger

I stand corrected.
Didn't accuse you of anything, but your reaction seemed quite pissed off to me, which surprised me, hence my reaction. (And I figure that's how your average war gets started with more mighty people, hahaha.)
But let's keep it at that, before this turns into some kind of therapeutic session.

collapsedhole

not mentioned in this thread yet, but i just pulled out...

DON'T HUNT WHAT YOU CAN'T KILL - 3xCD - L.White Records

hard to believe this is 15 years old now. massive collection means some filler tracks but also a lot of good ones... and especially great ones from Anenzephalia, Dodsdomd, Sickness, Today I'm Dead, Propergol, Taint, Grunt, Rasthof Dachau, Skin Crime, Streicher, Atrax Morgue... Grey Wolves with a classic, especially 1 year after 9/11.

500 copies and easily accessible, a great introduction to the genre's for new folks and cheap enough to own the fanatics probably already have it

collapsedhole

while i'm at it...

CATACLASTIC FRACTURE, CD + CATACLASTIC FRACTURE, Vol.2 CD - both on Deadline Recordings, both with insane long tracklists and short bursts from all involved. personally i find these really enjoyable listens, even with the not-so-great tracks, hearing the seemingly infinite takes on noise and uh 'difficult music' entertains the shit out of me for the duration of the discs.

NO PART OF IT

This one is like a holy grail to me.
https://www.discogs.com/Various-La-Chair-Entre-Les-Lignes/master/367140

There is also stuff from the Necronomicon label, which I have only heard in portions at a radio station, but always good at any point in the tape:  https://www.discogs.com/label/65676-Necronomicon

Also, not so much noise, but VHUTEMAS ARCHETYPI is crucial for me; LAIBACH, SPK, Gerechtigkeits Liga, Hunting Lodge at their best, etc. 

A caterpillar that goes around trying to rip the wings off of butterflies is not a more dominant caterpillar, just a caterpillar that is looking for a bigger caterpillar to crush him.  Some caterpillars are mad that they will never grow to be butterflies.

https://www.nopartofit.bandcamp.com

anotherwaytogetold

Not really a compilation album.
But this video had a huge impact on me. Great bands, good editing, good titles selection.
Still watch it from time to time with pleasure: Deadly Actions Live Retrospective 1994-1996.

Bleak Existence

oh yeah that video was so good bring back good memories to me