Studio Monitors

Started by m., November 09, 2013, 01:43:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m.

I'm planning to buy some decent ones for my home studio.
I was looking at this: http://www.thomann.de/gb/esi_near05_aktive_nahfeldmonitore.htm
Could this be a good score?
Advices, opinions,things to avoid etc...?
Thanks in advance!

ironfistofthesun

I Think the key factor is price. As with home hi fi there are so many price entry points, I wouldnt get too obbsessed with brands with big price tags. I have some krk near fields and I love them. When I get some extra cash I will be upgrading and also getting the bass bin. These are active, I have had one issue with the tweeter blowing, however the service with KRK was excellent , I think the unit was back within five working days. I also have some good headphones, which are totally vital for me and would even go as far as saying more usufull than my KRK's....but trust your ears. most stores will let you run a iPod with your audio thru a demo pair.

m.

thank you very much
there are some KRK in a local shop that I'll try out ( there are some cheaper ones as well like some Samson and Yamaha but they'll suck I guess).

online prowler

Good thread.

A friend of mine uses GENELEC. Can vouch for the brand. Quite rich sound. Also possible to purchase additional sub.

http://www.genelec.com/

FreakAnimalFinland

I kind of get the idea of "monitors", but at the same time, I think if vast majority of music I listen is through certain speakers I have in stereo system, despite they might color or adjust the sound (= not being 100% neutral), I know how they do sound and this way I can compare to pretty much every record I have heard.
Where I would need "neutral" speakers, if there hardly is neutral listening situation? Most of my stuff, before it gets published, I test through speakers, possible two other sets of home stereos, headphones and music also in car stereos. But most of all, I do everything to sound good in set up I have.

All Genelec speakers I have heard, sound good though. Bigger models are quite expensive, but are powerful enough to be used even as small PA if someone would want to do so.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Human Larvae

the necessity of monitor speakers is questionable, but since I have them, I wouldn't want to go back to hifi speakers. They are just generally clearer than hifi speakers and give a more accurate version of your mix. Depends on how nerdy you want to go about your musik

vorago

I have heard good about Esi near05, and planning to buy pair of those.

nidding

I have a pair of Adam A7X's and they're amazing. Can't praise Adam enough. The prices are very reasonable also considering the sound quality you're getting. They're uncompromising though and they're definitely not flattering - if somethings shit, it will definitely sound shit on these; you can hear everything.
A thing that's great about the A7X's apart from sound quality, is the frequency response and range. You have insane headroom on these and they portray bass very precisely.
I think it is with monitors as it is with a lot of gear - you get what you pay for usually. But you also have to be realistic about what you need.

pentd

hear hear... (that was a pun)

KRK, esi, genelec.. all is good...

i would say go for active ones, that way you have amplification which is (at least on paper) calibrated to that speaker, and dont have to go through the hassle of having to need an extra amp for passives...

also... those behringer truth boxes sound ok too

seems like nowadays theres such a huge market for all kindsa gear that nothing is hard to find, standards are quite high, choices are plenty, so yea probly like ifots mentioned, your wallet will decide.

urall

Looking into buying monitors as well. Until now i always listened with headphones and ran my mixer through a small crappy guitar combo amp. But due to space issues (yes that small amp is getting annoying in a small room) and it's crappyness, i want to get rid of said amp and get some small but decent monitors.

I've been looking at the KRK Rokit 5 G3 - but someone recommended the Yamaha hs5 monitors.
I'm no audiophile, i just want something decent wrt price/value. Not sure if i'll hear the difference between the KRK's and Yamahas anyway :)
But any opinions on this ?

C601

Quote from: urall on October 20, 2016, 11:13:21 AM
Looking into buying monitors as well. Until now i always listened with headphones and ran my mixer through a small crappy guitar combo amp. But due to space issues (yes that small amp is getting annoying in a small room) and it's crappyness, i want to get rid of said amp and get some small but decent monitors.

I've been looking at the KRK Rokit 5 G3 - but someone recommended the Yamaha hs5 monitors.
I'm no audiophile, i just want something decent wrt price/value. Not sure if i'll hear the difference between the KRK's and Yamahas anyway :)
But any opinions on this ?
Yamahas are more reference very flat no bass go with krl

diigitae

personnaly,i have focal cms 40 and am happy with by the way the main things i s the price you want to put on it .
don't have try other studio monitor in fact the husband of my sister owned it so i try it and buy it on thomann .

ju..