- MICROPHONES -

Started by online prowler, October 21, 2013, 09:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NaturalOrthodoxy

Old-ish thread, but my brother bought me the Crank Sturgeon Town & Mouth report mic for christmas. Excellent present- aside from the obvious vocal mic purpose has anyone used this for recording anything else- up close for junk metal or getting a lofi room recording?

terrorist

I have been making microphones from old phones specifically for use with pedals for power electronics. I have sold ten so far but they take forever to make and it isn't nearly worth the time but I do enjoy it a bit so I will likely continue to make them accordingly. Take a look here:

https://hmhs.storenvy.com

I am in the US but I will ship anywhere if you are willing to pay the $22 for shipping. Contact me at dysgeusian@gmail for more info or go through the shop. I can also customize these if you need something special made. These act not only as a microphone but also serves as a 'Kill Switch' to disrupt the signal and give you more possibilities blah blah fucking blah... ☻
☩☩☩☩☩☩☩☩☩☩☩
hmhs.storenvy.com
terrorist.storenvy.com
noisevirus.bandcamp.com
ignorantear.bandcamp.com
dysgeusiarecords.tumblr.com
dysgeusiarecords.bandcamp.com
☩☩☩☩☩☩☩☩☩☩☩☩☩☩☩☩☩☩☩☩

Peterson

It's out of my budget for a couple weeks at least but those repurposed CB mics are killer. I need one.

sterilization

Anyone have any experience with boundary mics? I stumbled upon a rather nice one (crown PCC-160) and am trying to think of a good way to use it in lieu of selling it. Was thinking of maybe mounting it to a large piece of metal or perhaps using it to get a room recording but have never played with one or talked with anyone that has so I don't really know if it's a waste of my time to experiment with.

bitewerksMTB

Radio Shack use to make a boundary type mic. It was a coffin-shaped mic mounted to a piece of metal. Great for dragging around the garage floor but it didn't pick up sounds quite the way I wanted it to. I think I ended up destroying it.

Try it out. If it doesn't do what you want it to then sell it. That's the only way to know for sure.

XXX

Reposting this here for posterity.   

https://www.instagram.com/p/BiXj_Lzg8Po/

FOR SALE: Bing Carbon Microphone. Lo Fi granular distortion for voice, instruments, or sound design. Special NOS Military grade carbon transmitter. 2 AA battery powered, transformer coupled 150 ohm output. $300. 2 available. Will ship.

review of older model-
http://recordinghacks.com/reviews/tapeop/bing-carbon-microphone/

thetenthousandthings

Hey friends, can anyone recommend a durable microphone that can be subjected to long term abuse?
I use a Sony F-96 High Impedance microphone to get really ear pleasing sounds from my guitar strings - the only problem is that I've gone through a few and their lifespan doesn't last more than a couple practices with my friend. Some of the mics I have tried like a Shure SM58 will feedback before I can get it to a point where it picks up my strings.
To be honest I don't know much about microphones or impedance but ever since using this cheap Sony F-96 (High impedance) I refuse to have any other sound. It picks up everything and more and gives a metallic sound.
Any help is appreciated, thank you.

WhiteWarlock

RadioShack sold "PZM" microphones made by Crown
have one around here somewhere haven't used it in ages
"RatShack" Realistic also sold microphones made by Shure(sm58s) & EV
sort of like the "Realistic" Moog MG1
They are Quality
awesome inexpensive "Realistic" microphones
for fraction of price of the actual official branded same model microphones on ebay
because very few comprehend the model numbers of those "Realistic" microphones
see them going "cheap"
BTW dragging PZM around the garage is obviously not how boundary microphones are designed for being used recording
admit have done things like that before with PZM treating it as large metal plate piezo contact microphone
yet mine still works :P
https://tapeop.com/tutorials/1/pzm/
Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?
FreakMaker
SynthWizards/N01ZE