Anomalous Anime Movies

Started by Otomo_Hava, October 01, 2013, 10:04:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duncan

Not even a movie but I've just been hipped to ATTACK ON TITAN which is a completely melodramatic series revolving around these terrifying giants breaching a walled city built by humans designed to keep them out.  Pretty much everyone gets horrifically eaten in the first episode and a young lad swears revenge etc.

Power metal intro w/ hilarious translated lyrics too.  Each episode incredibly epic and so on.

vomitgore

Quote from: totalblack on October 02, 2013, 07:28:09 AM

Akira of course is the best anime of all time, no doubt. I guess I just assumed it didn't need to be mentioned based on the request for a specific type of content in anime, I figured that the original poster had some interest in anime prior to starting this thread. Phenomenal film, amazing visuals, great story, superb soundtrack. It is one of my favourite films period of all time. I've also got about half the volumes of the manga as well, which obviously is much more in depth. It's interesting to see how much more in depth the story actually is.

Actually, the manga really got me. The film was good, but the story really benefitted from the in-depth storytelling of the six volumes. Also, I felt that the whole setting was far more apocalyptic and dark in the manga, whereas the film had more of a sci-fi vibe.

Also, I can highly recommend the mangas of Hideshi Hino. I know this topic is actually about manga films, but these deserve to be mentioned anyhow. Despite the childlike, cartoonish style of drawing, the messed up content and downright nasty storylines really make his works stand out. I understand that some english translations of his work are practically being given away on amazon.

Furthermore, some of the over-the-top hentai/ero-guro stuff like Bondage Games, Pigeon Blood, Urotsukidoji and La Blue Girl is pretty entertaining. Nothing that will knock your socks off, but the grotesquely drawn out violence makes it entertaining.

THE RITA HN

ATTACK ON TITAN - remember hearing about it some time ago, sounded creepy.  since this thread i checked out some of it on youtube.  got really into the female titan 'Annie' character which inevitably led me to watching this a few times:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZcklkTLJNw

THE RITA HN

Great... never saw this coming...
but my primary focus right now (other than 90s / 00s paris classical ballet) has been on Annie Leonhardt in FEMALE TITAN form.  Bought just the 4 volumes where she's featured --- 
whose raw abstracted fetish sexuality --- has inevitably led to finally buying and reading the whole NEON EVANGELION GENESIS manga series... on volume 13 now... always had a Rei figure around the apartment; one of the ones where she's all bandaged up, etc.. but never really got into the manga until now.
Now going through old Go Nagai MAZINGER Z comics.  always had DEVILMAN comics around, but now that i'm 40, i'm enjoying the MAZINGER Z comics more... really enjoy the abject sexuality read through the lines - an almost Hideshi Hino style of fetishistic women's 'robot' deaths. 
something about the abstracted sexuality oozing through the lines of the above works that makes the obsessive approach all the more powerful.   

tiny_tove

Quote from: THE RITA HN on October 07, 2013, 02:38:40 AM
ATTACK ON TITAN - remember hearing about it some time ago, sounded creepy.  since this thread i checked out some of it on youtube.  got really into the female titan 'Annie' character which inevitably led me to watching this a few times:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZcklkTLJNw

completely obsessed by both manga and anime... I thought it was a demented Jap flick to then discover is a grotesque and gruesome of survival.
the constant siege makes think of I am a legend but with giants and the further the story develops, the cruelest it becomes...

impressive Soundtrack as well
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

Levas

I liked Boogiepop Phantom series. Apart from Candy Candy this was one of the best Anime series :)

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: Levas on November 12, 2013, 03:19:55 PM
I liked Boogiepop Phantom series. Apart from Candy Candy this was one of the best Anime series :)

Just re-watched Boogiepop Phantom with a friend a couple of weeks ago. I was happy it held up since I hadn't seen it 10 years or so.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

totalblack

Just finished watching the first season of Attack on Titan ... I took a break for a few weeks before finishing the last half of it for whatever reason. Starts out a lot stronger than it finishes although overall it was a pretty great series. Hopefully they'll do a second season because I am curious to see where the story goes.

Was also just thinking about Darker Than Black, which I thought was another pretty good series ... going through lists and downloading a lot of older things I haven't seen in 10-15 years, and checking out a few other series recommended in this thread that I neglected before. Neon Genesis being one of them.