Anomalous Anime Movies

Started by Otomo_Hava, October 01, 2013, 10:04:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Otomo_Hava

I'm new to this subject and i'd like to suggest me any weird, offensive, messed up, surreal, paranoid anime movies you have ever seen. Also, share your experience of watching it for the first time or not.

totalblack

It's been years since I was really into watching this stuff so I will have to think about it, but maybe try the movie "Perfect Blue" ? not sure if that is exactly what you are looking for, and I am interested to hear what others have to suggest

Bob

Hayao Miyazaki Spirited Away is very good i recomend it !
I am not really overly familiar with many manga films though.

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: totalblack on October 01, 2013, 10:45:44 PM
It's been years since I was really into watching this stuff so I will have to think about it, but maybe try the movie "Perfect Blue" ? not sure if that is exactly what you are looking for, and I am interested to hear what others have to suggest

Perfect Blue - greatest anime ever.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

vomitgore

Midori! One of the best surreal, messed up anime movies ever made. Everything by Maruo comes highly recommended, such a highly skilled artist.

http://thanaticmanifestations.blogspot.de/2013/08/review-midori-shojo-tsubaki-1992.html

totalblack

Quote from: vomitgore on October 02, 2013, 12:58:20 AM
Midori! One of the best surreal, messed up anime movies ever made. Everything by Maruo comes highly recommended, such a highly skilled artist.

http://thanaticmanifestations.blogspot.de/2013/08/review-midori-shojo-tsubaki-1992.html

This is great - super fucked up. Great visuals.

Akira of course is the best anime of all time, no doubt. I guess I just assumed it didn't need to be mentioned based on the request for a specific type of content in anime, I figured that the original poster had some interest in anime prior to starting this thread. Phenomenal film, amazing visuals, great story, superb soundtrack. It is one of my favourite films period of all time. I've also got about half the volumes of the manga as well, which obviously is much more in depth. It's interesting to see how much more in depth the story actually is.

fin de siècle

Hayao Miyazaki`s

Nausicaa of the valley of the winds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYe4EBrCDdk
Sinister and highly beautiful at the same time!

and

Princess Mononoke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkWWWKKA8jY

are both masterpieces!

Cementimental

please change thread title to 'Incredibly Obvious Anime Movie Suggestions' :D

all good suggestions so far to be fair, but for weirdness:

Angel's Egg - ultra mysterious and glacially paced symbolist/surrealist/dreamscape by Mamoru Oshii (best known for the amittedly great Ghost in the Shell but director of many much weirder and more interesting anime and live action movies. Ghost on the Shell 2 is visually astonishing and mind-melting, I much prefer it to the original. Some of you military fans might like the aesthetic of his live action 'Avalon', shot in polish in poland (in order to be able to hire soviet tanks etc) and kind of a 'no THIS is how it's done' to the wachowski's, kind of like a Svankmajer/Tarkovsky-styled version of The Matrix!?) and his anime Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade set in an alternate 1950s Germany-occupied Japan

Night on the Galactic Railroad (1985) - somewhat similar masterpiece of surreal depressing slow beautifulness, based on the work of author Kenji Miyazawa. There's a new kind-of sequel just recently released, based on one of his other works, I haven;t seen it yet but looks promising: http://www.pelleas.net/aniTOP/index.php/the-life-of-gusko-budori

Genocyber - 90's Manga Video guilty pleasure, ultra gorey weird trash. Children graphically machine-gunned to bits, incongruous low budget 'experimental' moments, less interesting and gorey last episodes.

MIND GAME - astonishing feature, amazing styles/animatio/direction/story/everything. All Masaaki Yuasa's other films/series are great too: Kemonozume (more shocking/weird/violent), Kaiba (looks mega cute but just heart-rendingly tragic and brutal story), Tatami Galaxy, etc etc etc

Serial Experiments Lain - post Eva/X-files weird cyberpunk series, made at that beautiful point where everything was about computers/virtual worlds but mostly still analog in practice so a nice mix of styles in a kind of crude way. Content-wise really great and creepy, the ending is pretty emotionally brutal.

The current series 'Flowers of Evil' (Aku no Hana) seems interesting, perverse and literary (based around Baudelaire's 'Les Fleurs du mal'), with unusual rotoscoped animation style: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Flowers_of_Evil_%28manga%29#Anime

Neon Genesis Evangelion - greatest artwork of the 20th century. Does anything any power electronics ever did (x 9000) and more while being the #1 most popular thing in Japan at the time. (More hyperbole some time maybe, or something more sensible to actually entice you to watch the thing)

...Uhh i'd better do some work. More recommendations soon.

A good site for finding interesting/obscure/animator-driven anime (and hardcore info about the actual animation + direction of these things which is very rare amongst the 10000s of superfical immature anime fandom sites online) - http://www.pelleas.net/aniTOP/index.php

re: "weird, offensive, messed up" the 'mainstream' of modern otakuism consists almost entirely of sadeian/lolita/misogynist Moé creepyness but it's not not in a 'grim' 'evil' style so all you creeps probably wouldn't even like it. ^__^

Otomo_Hava

Quote from: Cementimental on October 02, 2013, 02:43:43 PM

I am also expecting some underrated, unknown, hidden and underestimated movies and series too.
I thought it would be helpful for someone who are an otaku from a weird point of view in this forum.

Cementimental

I know, I was just joking about the suggestions so far, Midori aside :)

Cat Soup (Nekojiru-So) is another very weird cute/horrible one well worth watching.

The short film compilations "Genius Party" and "Genius Party Beyond" have some pretty great and bizzare films.
Koji Morimoto's shorts in there and elsewhere are pretty visually spectactular. Relevant to our interests title-wise is Noiseman Sound Insect: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw6TwYXwBjA

totalblack

Quote from: Cementimental on October 02, 2013, 02:43:43 PM

then going on to recommend Neon Genesis - I mean quality of the series aside, isn't that the pot calling the kettle black? :P

anyway, I need to check out more of your suggestions as I haven't really spent much time watching this stuff since I was a teen, and have not seen most of them.

Cementimental

Ha indeed, but Eva is a special case. :)

Hope you enjoy. Most of them should be fairly easy to find online in this day and age.

Cementimental

Quote from: vomitgore on October 02, 2013, 12:58:20 AM

Here's a music video by the same animator: http://youtu.be/yrzgqm1AcHY

Tenebracid

finally an anime thread, i'll add some recommendations;

GOKU MIDNIGHT EYE - midnight cyberpunk sexual mood.

BATTLE ANGEL ALITA - violent cyborg babe fights cyborg scumbags and falls in love.

Afro Samurai - niggas and samurais, music by the RZA and dubbed by samuel l. jackson. very stylish violence.

ELFEN LIED - has a huge fanbase, bloody outbursts in a story with some nice parts but also a lot of fanservice crap.

DEVILMAN - kid becomes a demon to fight the...uh demons that have been woken up. very violent, lots of fun. 3 parts. by the creator of mazinger Z.

VIOLENCE JACK - similar to devilman, also amazing. the earth has been destroyed and all who are left live underground in gangs including an all lesbos one, violence jack is a huge and strong guy that appears from nowhere and helps the good gangs. 3 parts. part 2 specially infamous for its violence! by the creator of mazinger Z.

KITE - 90s mix of hentai and violent action about an orphan schoolgirl whos also a hitman and fucks her boss.

FIST OF THE NORTHSTAR - 90s greatness. after third world war the world is devastated, fist of the north star will help the good guys destroy the scum with his special technique. really good.

NINJA SCROLL - one of the most beautiful animation youll see, in 90s style. violent and classy, good story too.

will add more soon..

Cementimental

QuoteBATTLE ANGEL ALITA - violent cyborg babe fights cyborg scumbags and falls in love.
Nice 80's anime indeed but the manga is ASTONISHINGLY GOOD, highly recommended reading. Starts well drawn and gets mindbogglingly well drawn, really great characters, world-building and scope. The one-shot extremely Frank Miller-homage spin-off "Ashen Victor" is good too. There's a current new continuation/alternate ending series "Battle Angel Alita: Last Order" too which I'm really enjoying and has some absurdly epic backstory revelations, but it does turn into a hardcore martial arts competition manga for many volumes (!) so maybe not essential for people not into that sort of thing.

Fist of the North Star is a classic of over the top Manga Video good-trash. The TV series looks fun too, I never watched much but was struck by reading in an interview with Peter Chung (Aeon Flux) that it gets good after episode 50 (!!!) because by that point they've run out of ways to have a guy explode every week and started to incorporate really experimental animation techniques :D

I remember one of the recent (late 90s?) Deviman movies/OAVs being really brutal and gory, i forget the title tho.

WHAT how did I not mention FLCL?! One of the best and stylistically weirdest short series, so great.