GREY WOLVES appreciation thread

Started by HongKongGoolagong, September 29, 2013, 06:35:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazrs3

Quote from: Into_The_Void on January 28, 2022, 12:10:12 PM
I´m secretly having the wet dream somebody (VOD?) releases a box with most of the tape releases and a proper booklet. And an appropriate LP version of "Division".

Me too, but dickhead here missed out on Come Org box, so I might start a GW/Cond-Dom back catalogue savings acount where I save and save so I am prepared for anything like this. I notice any GW reissues sell out in no time.

totalblack

I´m secretly having the wet dream somebody (VOD?) releases a box with most of the tape releases and a proper booklet. And an appropriate LP version of "Division".

This will never happen, and shouldn't either, especially not by VOD. There's a fairly substantial reissue that will be out eventually, which covers a lot of material. There's also a book in the works, and there's a few other related projects that should see the light of the day in the near future.

As for live experiences with Grey Wolves, seen them two times, and it's been awful\great once and really excellent the second time. Curious if anyone has seen them play back in the day with the two of them? I've never seen any live photos that had Trev Ward in them

Lazrs3

Great news x 2 in a post. I had heard off a friend that he did play live on rare accasions, but all the live stuff I have on DVD is with Mike Dando.

NerveGas

Quote from: totalblack on January 28, 2022, 12:42:03 PM

This will never happen, and shouldn't either, especially not by VOD. There's a fairly substantial reissue that will be out eventually, which covers a lot of material. There's also a book in the works, and there's a few other related projects that should see the light of the day in the near future.

As for live experiences with Grey Wolves, seen them two times, and it's been awful\great once and really excellent the second time. Curious if anyone has seen them play back in the day with the two of them? I've never seen any live photos that had Trev Ward in them

Great news on the book and reissue. Look forward to seeing this develop.
MAGNETIC IRRITATION RECORDINGS

WEBSTORE - www.magneticirritation.com
CONTACT - magneticirritation@gmail.com

Into_The_Void

Good for the book, although I am more interested in the musical reissue. But I don´t understand why a box "should not happen"? I actually think it would be an excellent documentation instead.
https://sabruxa.bandcamp.com/ (Industrial / ambient)

totalblack

Quote from: Into_The_Void on January 29, 2022, 12:04:18 AM

Good for the book, although I am more interested in the musical reissue. But I don´t understand why a box "should not happen"? I actually think it would be an excellent documentation instead.

It's just something that isn't possible to do properly and present in any manner that would do the material justice. There's probably about 50 tapes, judging from what is even listed on discogs, and I know that there are more that exist- that's also JUST Grey Wolves. Not including Nails Ov Christ, Opera For Infantry, Irritant, Brutal Love, Blackshirt Orchestra, etc. There's tons of repeats, live one-offs, and mixes of previously released material, in some cases 5-10 editions of the same tape with different artwork, out on different labels (still mostly self released). An exhaustive boxset would have to be so massive that it wouldn't make sense to produce, or even be listenable. I honestly think that most of the best Grey Wolves material is on the cassettes however, and the reissues that are forthcoming will be more than satisfactory to most listeners. VOD has a habit of cramming C60s onto single LPs, and most of these tapes are C60-C90s, it just wouldn't really work in my opinion. I'll write you more about it in private.

Into_The_Void

Quote from: totalblack on January 29, 2022, 02:47:49 AM

It's just something that isn't possible to do properly and present in any manner that would do the material justice. There's probably about 50 tapes, judging from what is even listed on discogs, and I know that there are more that exist- that's also JUST Grey Wolves. Not including Nails Ov Christ, Opera For Infantry, Irritant, Brutal Love, Blackshirt Orchestra, etc. There's tons of repeats, live one-offs, and mixes of previously released material, in some cases 5-10 editions of the same tape with different artwork, out on different labels (still mostly self released). An exhaustive boxset would have to be so massive that it wouldn't make sense to produce, or even be listenable. I honestly think that most of the best Grey Wolves material is on the cassettes however, and the reissues that are forthcoming will be more than satisfactory to most listeners. VOD has a habit of cramming C60s onto single LPs, and most of these tapes are C60-C90s, it just wouldn't really work in my opinion. I'll write you more about it in private.

cool, thank you. Yeah I don´t have any comparison term for VOD because I didn´t buy anything of his releases before now (Nekrophile box, which wasn´t shipped so far and I´m actually very curious about the sound quality).
https://sabruxa.bandcamp.com/ (Industrial / ambient)

Odhr

Quote from: Into_The_Void on January 29, 2022, 01:28:05 PM
Quote from: totalblack on January 29, 2022, 02:47:49 AM

cool, thank you. Yeah I don´t have any comparison term for VOD because I didn´t buy anything of his releases before now (Nekrophile box, which wasn´t shipped so far and I´m actually very curious about the sound quality).

Do you have any more information regarding the book?
Who is publishing it?

no_baizuo_allowed

Is there a possibility they could have been legit Tory supporters?
I just wondered as I was browsing images of the Punishment LP on Tesco from '92. I am also reminded of the made up quote attributed to Baroness Margaret Thatcher on Zero Cabal's "Terror Campaign" comp tape from '94 (it still irks me, a decade after I copped the CD reissue. Why the fuck would anyone even pretend to like her?! hahaha.) Are these quotes just private jokes I am not privvy to - or are they all legit in their praise?
⚠️不允许白左⚠️ https://novichoklabel.blogspot.com/

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: no_baizuo_allowed on April 21, 2022, 10:34:28 AM
Why the fuck would anyone even pretend to like her?! hahaha.

One can read GW manifestos Confusion as well as Cultural Terrorist Manifesto and it would seem obvious why not? Like as we speak, if you'd pick up some political direction or public figure that is widely disliked among underground art/music scene and use it without blatantly clear stand of opposition, one may even provoke some sort of reactions unlike when lining up with that goes perfectly among general consensus?

Anyway, there is curious example, very little connected to GW, but The Apostles tapes used to be distributed by various different names of Grey Wolves labels. Also when The Apostles quit, there was formed Academy 23, that did split tape with Konstruktivists  and had comp tracks on Sounds of Hate 5, Stinky Horse Fuckers, Power To Destroy etc... but also did all sorts of experimental punk type of things... there is quite curious history here:
http://www.unit-united.co.uk/theapostles.htm

QuoteFor the uninitiated, the 1980s constituted a decade of immense social change. Margaret Thatcher became the most popular prime minister since Winston Churchill. The terrible stranglehold by which Marxist led unions had held the nation to ransom was finally broken by her bold, unequivocal style of government. However, her complete failure to comprehend foreign policy caused furore, belligerence and isolation from Europe. Her failure to understand social deprivation ultimately led to riots in the streets of every major British city.

...It is not that often when punk bands refer politics of Thatcher as "bold and unequivocal", hah!

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Coiled

GW were a right-wing project, or at least an agitprop project, so they put Thatcher in to wind up the left. She was seen as being an anti-society figure, GW were anti-society. Clearly they didn't agree with her completely, I don't remember them being being capitalists for example. But they probably saw anti-Thatcher sentiment all around them in the art underground, so they did it as a counter-revolution, a rebellion against the rebellion. Just watch the '80s sitcom The Young Ones, and you'll see it was so common for leftist students to be anti-Thatcher that it was already being parodied.

Does anyone have any of the Grey Wolves comuniques / newsletters?

burdizzo1

Hmmm. Never really thought of them as 'right-wing'. Certainly 'agitprop' and 'anti-society', but their cultural cues were from all over the place. Weren't the original Grey Wolves a Turkish irredentist movement? They also used a lot of IRA imagery, as well as some white nationalist stuff. You know, these themes don't really mix in any coherent way. I'd heard they were anarchists, but I don't really buy that either. I'd say more just irritants to civilisation as it existed in their day!

Anyway, does anyone here have the "Victory Through Violence" LP on Rodden Island Records? What's it like?

Phenol

Quote from: burdizzo1 on January 10, 2023, 11:23:53 AM
Hmmm. Never really thought of them as 'right-wing'. Certainly 'agitprop' and 'anti-society', but their cultural cues were from all over the place. Weren't the original Grey Wolves a Turkish irredentist movement? They also used a lot of IRA imagery, as well as some white nationalist stuff. You know, these themes don't really mix in any coherent way. I'd heard they were anarchists, but I don't really buy that either. I'd say more just irritants to civilisation as it existed in their day!

Anyway, does anyone here have the "Victory Through Violence" LP on Rodden Island Records? What's it like?

That's how I always saw them too. Provocateurs rather than a band with a clear cut ideological programme. I Have that LP. The sound is pretty okay and it has some good tracks. The packaging feels a little cheap though. Worth getting if you're a fan and the price isn't too steep.

Zeno Marx

"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

eraciator

They were called The Grey Wolves and not the Black and/or White Wolves for a reason.

A right wing, Thatcher loving, project is it? Guaranteed entertainment, this place!