Drum machines

Started by Leatherface, September 23, 2013, 10:56:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GEWALTMONOPOL

Yes. Sounds alright but I expected more. On a whole I am underwhelmed by it.
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...

tiny_tove

I intended to buy that, but something is peventing me to go for it.
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

Leewar

Anyone know what drum machine is used on this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W50isO4czU

Ive loved the 'not sounding remotely realistic sound for many years but have never been able to figure out what it is.

softmachine

re: the Korg Volca Beats

as a total newbie, i'm tinkering with the Volca Bass and Keys.... so when I get a drum machine I expect it'll be the Beats I go for

666ENKI666

Quote from: Marko-V on June 07, 2014, 08:25:40 PM
Has anybody used Alesis SR 16? Godflesh used it and I dig that cold unnatural no-nonsense drum machine sound of their early albums. Vintagesynth.com tells that: "No doubt the SR-16 is a powerful drum machine, but ultimately it also sounds like a drum machine. All those bumper stickers about drum machines having no soul just might be directed at the SR-16." That's exactly what i feel like getting.

I have one but it is on the fritz right now, there is no display when fired up. It is okay but I would like something with more options, the SR-16 is extremely limited and apparently fragile. How is the Volca Beats? Can you plug it directly into an amp?

calaverasgrande

Quote from: Marko-V on June 07, 2014, 08:25:40 PM
Has anybody used Alesis SR 16? Godflesh used it and I dig that cold unnatural no-nonsense drum machine sound of their early albums. Vintagesynth.com tells that: "No doubt the SR-16 is a powerful drum machine, but ultimately it also sounds like a drum machine. All those bumper stickers about drum machines having no soul just might be directed at the SR-16." That's exactly what i feel like getting.
They used an HR16 (or HR16b). The SR-16 came out a few years later and has a higher resolution and more features. The HR16 sounds a little uglier and looks uglier. But it has the genius feature that the lid flips open to reveal a cheat sheet for using the unit. I rocked one myself for about 10 years. Easy to use, sounds good in a 'I dont even try to sound like a Roland' kind of way. The cymbals can be brutal good when pitched down.

I currently use an Elektron Machinedrum as my drum machine. It does a fair approximation of a vintage drum machine. But can also do thousands of un-drum machine sounds. Pure sine, and pure noise are options for example. Which you can then modulate, effect and mix.
Also it has some pretty damn clever tools for making songs out of your patterns. Such as muting tracks within the pattern.
There is a sample capable version the Machinedrum UW.  And the thing is made in Sweden, of metal.
I also own the A4. Which has lately been making me forget my modular, my Moogs and my Roland. Sure it is not as 'fat' as some synths, but I am not making dance music. So I am comfortable with that.