Special Interest
March 08, 2021, 04:35:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: GUITAR NOISE  (Read 11097 times)
ConcreteMascara
SI Staff
Diehard user

« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2020, 05:23:05 PM »

Masahiko Ohno / SOLMANIA my vote for king(s) of guitar noise with Jojo Hiroshige being the only other real choice.

Duncan
Heavy user

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2020, 05:32:34 PM »

Schakalens Bror
Bloated Slutbag
Diehard user

« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2020, 04:56:40 AM »

Masahiko Ohno / SOLMANIA my vote for king(s) of guitar noise with Jojo Hiroshige being the only other real choice.

Was going to mention Solmania but best thought that should be left to SI's resident Solmaniac, above. Just waiting for Dear Leader to namecheck Diesel Gui- ooops!

Trying to remember who was supposed to have modified Hiroshige's guitar. Was it Ohno?

Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag
SILVUM
Heavy user

« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2020, 05:23:39 AM »

Masayuki Takayanagi master of guitar
Keiji Haino will play anything and there are some insane solo guitar noise records
Jojo Hiroshige to me the least enjoyable hahaha
Diesel Guitar(s) gets pretty mellow
Solmania really 90s is the guitar stuff
Mortal Vision (Hiroshi Hasegawa): axe specific proj
Ryuichi Nagakubo (he's basically always on bass or guitar, this is cheating cus hes a group player but still)
Otomo Yoshihide (will do noise guitar now and then)
Naoaki Miyamoto / M.N.S. I never had the solo stuff and sold the collab, but it's full noisy just guitar
KK NULL obviously
Makoto Kawabata (some of his solo guitar stuff is just shameless effect pedal riding)
Kiyoshi Mizutani (he did lots of guitar in duo w Masami on drums)
Bjørn Fongaard (it's "academic" but it's all basically abstract guitar noise)
Ramleh guitar PE
Nicole Chambers (besides one track with drums its all lo fi guitar manipulation)
Reynols (there are tracks that are just guitar noise waves and they rule)
Kazuo Imai (it's more "improv" but he's in the neighborhood)

Obviously there's lots of guitar in stuff, but those are ones where it'll be JUST guitar.  Also, I didnt really ponder grind crossover or go too deep in psych.
Baglady
Heavy user

« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2020, 07:12:42 AM »

Schakalens Bror

Unsung local guitar hero. I am very very biased, of course, but I dare say not too many are doing what he does nowadays. Improvised live gutter guitar mayhem. There are some releases where he has experimented with tape sounds and some overdubbing/layering, but most of them are pure guitar noise. His live shows are always excellent and intense, which is hard to match on tape/record. It sometimes works very well though. The LP on Förlag För Fri Musik is great, and I'm also very fond of this tape which I released a couple of years ago:

https://schakalensbror.bandcamp.com/album/overdrive
Neithan

« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2020, 11:15:27 AM »

I am huge fan of Thurston Moore, Kristof Hahn (what he does with his lapsteel is incredible), Glenn Branca (I think he was not mentioned earlier) and Keiji Haino.
ConcreteMascara
SI Staff
Diehard user

« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2020, 05:35:03 PM »

Was going to mention Solmania but best thought that should be left to SI's resident Solmaniac, above. Just waiting for Dear Leader to namecheck Diesel Gui- ooops!

Trying to remember who was supposed to have modified Hiroshige's guitar. Was it Ohno?

Resident Solmaniac, little old me? Why thank you! I don't think I'll have earned that until I've got their logo tattooed on my arm.

This is such a broad topic and I guess most of us missed the mark because Balor's original question asked for new guitar noise... Did he mean new artists or new to him?

Maybe the important question is what kind of guitar noise do you want? Rock & Roll informed, droning, harsh obfuscation to the point of the guitar being lost, or clearly skronky guitar licks? It looks like the last page and a half of posts covered all of those. SILVUM as per usual shows of his extensive knowledge of Japanese noise and psych.

I didn't include Haino/Fushitsusha in my answer because Haino and Fushitsusha stand alone in my book, and encompass so many things. Probably best to check the PSF thread and playlist thread for more thoughtful recommendations in that psych/avant realm.

http://www.special-interests.net/forum/index.php?topic=2336.0

As Mr. Peterson showed me last year, you can basically trace all noise rock to Velvet Underground's "Sister Ray". So I guess there's noise rock guitar and noise (using guitar)... or maybe that's an oversimplification?

As for "new" I guess I don't know shit. All my money and recording hunting time is stuck in OOP Japanese stuff right now.

Balor/SS1535
Heavy user

« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2020, 07:26:31 PM »

Resident Solmaniac, little old me? Why thank you! I don't think I'll have earned that until I've got their logo tattooed on my arm.

This is such a broad topic and I guess most of us missed the mark because Balor's original question asked for new guitar noise... Did he mean new artists or new to him?

Maybe the important question is what kind of guitar noise do you want? Rock & Roll informed, droning, harsh obfuscation to the point of the guitar being lost, or clearly skronky guitar licks? It looks like the last page and a half of posts covered all of those. SILVUM as per usual shows of his extensive knowledge of Japanese noise and psych.

I didn't include Haino/Fushitsusha in my answer because Haino and Fushitsusha stand alone in my book, and encompass so many things. Probably best to check the PSF thread and playlist thread for more thoughtful recommendations in that psych/avant realm.

http://www.special-interests.net/forum/index.php?topic=2336.0

As Mr. Peterson showed me last year, you can basically trace all noise rock to Velvet Underground's "Sister Ray". So I guess there's noise rock guitar and noise (using guitar)... or maybe that's an oversimplification?

As for "new" I guess I don't know shit. All my money and recording hunting time is stuck in OOP Japanese stuff right now.

New to me, new in general - both are great.  The posts above have given me a ton to look into!

VIVA LA PERVERSIÓN
Bruitiste

« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2020, 10:48:34 PM »

Matthew Bower of Skullflower
WCN
Heavy user

« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2020, 07:23:25 PM »

HAARE / SAVAGE GOSPEL!!!

Harsh Noise label and EU based distro of American Imports
https://whitecentipedenoise.bigcartel.com/
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print