Sissy Spacek

Started by dmkerr, September 06, 2013, 03:28:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holy ghost

The CD on Troniks with Jay Randall on vocals is fucking great. Exactly what I'm looking for right now. Have spun it a bunch.

Could not have asked for a more appropriate LP reissue than the collab with Smegma. One of my FA routes from recent times. Double CD on Gilongo looks pretty great too but still waiting to hear that one.

chuzz

I really hope there's a follow up to Lead Their Exit. It's my favorite SS and grindcore record. No fluff no mercy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkSx-AoJmPk

holy ghost

New Sissy Spacek/Smegma collab LP looks beautiful! One of my favourite CDs from last year, this LP edition looks absolutely stunning. Amazing eye popping colour happening here.

Didn't have time to check out the double CD that also arrived, but that is really exciting stuff lined up for this weekend.

FreakAnimalFinland

The Haters / Sissy Spacek CD on Helicopter is good. It is not TOTALLY phenomenal, but really good. It says done in 2018, but under what conditions, I do not know. To my ears it sounds more like old Haters snotty and dusty noise textures would be taken under digital processing. Not really processed with any lame efx, but just added clarity, added sharpness, added loudness. I have no idea what the process has been like, but if someone said GX handed over bunch of "In the shade of fire" era source tapes and Sissy boosted it all up and made texture walls, I'd say that sounds about right!

Hijokaidan / Sissy Spacek CD, there is two versions of this right? American Helicopter and the Japanese Dotsmark. I was mentioned Japanese version has more stuff in it. That's the only version I have. Good stuff! Collaborations and solo works, ripping and ear tormenting noise chaos.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

holy ghost

Picked up the "Prismatic Parameter" double CD recently, for some reason it won't play in my CD player at home but ripped just fine. Big 2016 SS group with Ace Farren Ford, Bill Nace, Charlie Mumma, Joe Potts, John Wiese, Martín Escalante, Rick Potts, Ted Byrnes - this is hands down one of the BEST Sissy Spacek releases I've heard, great clattery playing reminiscent of Topography of the Lungs type British free jazz/improv and the wilder bits are reminiscent of classic Brotzmann led large groups.

Fucking WILD release! Definitely one of the best things I've heard all year. I drive a lot for work and I spent all day in the car with this one fucking BLASTING! Very similar to the "Duration Groups" CD from a few years ago but just more.... refined? Really solid. One of the best things I've heard all year.

Fistfuck Masonanie

Quote from: holy ghost on December 04, 2020, 09:52:50 PM
Picked up the "Prismatic Parameter" double CD recently, for some reason it won't play in my CD player at home but ripped just fine. Big 2016 SS group with Ace Farren Ford, Bill Nace, Charlie Mumma, Joe Potts, John Wiese, Martín Escalante, Rick Potts, Ted Byrnes - this is hands down one of the BEST Sissy Spacek releases I've heard, great clattery playing reminiscent of Topography of the Lungs type British free jazz/improv and the wilder bits are reminiscent of classic Brotzmann led large groups.

Fucking WILD release! Definitely one of the best things I've heard all year. I drive a lot for work and I spent all day in the car with this one fucking BLASTING! Very similar to the "Duration Groups" CD from a few years ago but just more.... refined? Really solid. One of the best things I've heard all year.

Finally got my copy in the mail and listening to it today. I whole heartily agree with you about how good it is, this might be one of my own personal favorite Sissy Spacek records now. The contributions from all members are edited together so well into a really nice amalgamation of sound.

The tracks on the first disc sound more free flowing and organic, like an acoustic noise ensemble. Topography Of The Lungs is a great comparison. The acoustic and traditional instrumentation is more up front in the mix and the electronics are a more subdued to compliment the rest of the sound.

I like how the second disk moves away from the European Free Improvisation style, just for a bit, and showcases tracks with more open space. Helps keep the album fresh and gives the listener a little reprieve before getting back into the full on improvised assault.

The larger group recordings always feel like something special to me. If I had gotten this album earlier, it would certainly have been on my Best of 2020 list.

ConcreteMascara

Going to do a more formal write-up soon, but I caught Sissy Spacek last night at along with Primitive Man, Blood Incantation and a bunch of other bands. They were definitely the outlier but there was a lot of weirder metal. I haven't seen SS since 2010 when they played at The Bank in Baltimore doing Gore Jet style batshit crazy cybergrind-ish stuff.  And I was in the middle of a speed bender for that one so it's a fond memory but also a big blurry mess of one. Didn't know what to expect for this one  but when I saw Mumma behind the drums and Weiss behind a table with gear plus guitar I knew it'd be good. Absolutely blasting noisy-grindy-skronk of the highest caliber. Vocals somewhere between goregrind and the gibbering bits of a Masonna plus more traditional harsh vocals from Mumma. Drums being processed through Weiss's gear while also doing additional ripping noise and guitar abuse. Super tight start stop bits. Eventual partial destruction of the drum set which was in turned processed and played back again. More screaming grinding blasting and ripping. It was hard-on inducing. Absolutely fucking killer and I'm so glad I didn't skip this show because my old bones really wanted to. Picked up a few SS albums from Weiss after and I'm very interested to see how they compare to what I saw.

For those in NYC/Brooklyn, I believe SS is playing tonight and tomorrow at St Vitus. Don't miss this shit.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Fistfuck Masonanie

Electric Field in Parallel & Reslayer

The new discs with Jay Randall are so good... I threw in Electric Field In Parallel to start and that first track "White Car" hits SO HARD. Perfectly edited and non-stop action for 30 minutes and not a dull moment. I appreciate how after the more lengthy tracks on Electric Field, the Reslayer CD hits you with the shorter and faster moving tracks. I can't imagine how much editing went into the material across both discs.

Each release is perfect, and easily at the top of the already impressive Sissy Spacek discography in my opinion. Wiese never slows down. Also, LOVE the cover art for both albums.