Leslie Singer

Started by ImpulsyStetoskopu, August 29, 2013, 06:36:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ImpulsyStetoskopu

Anybody knows something about this great woman-noise composer?

Besides, maybe it would be nice to start new topic with unknown noise/industrial/PE projects, mainly from 70s/80s and 90s.?

online prowler

Never heard of - or googled her. Like your idea on new thread.

HongKongGoolagong

I found myself reading about Leslie Singer a while ago because her 5CD set of archive releases was on the same short-lived and obscure label as something I was given by Abstract Skulls which had Milovan Srdenovic involvement -  EEEEEEEE Records. A crazy sounding woman who had some kind of involvement with early Psycodrama according to discogs.

Forgotten/underappreciated noise: Enno Rhese's Fritzodelia, factor x, Expose Your Eyes, Victor/im. Not so obscure but Mlehst seems very underappreciated to me - his sounds are quite unique and strange and Bandaged Hand was a very distinctive label. 

ImpulsyStetoskopu

Quote from: HongKongGoolagong on August 29, 2013, 11:44:03 PM
I found my self reading about Leslie Singer a while ago because her 5CD set of archive releases was on the same short-lived and obscure label as something I was given by Abstract Skulls which had Milovan Srdenovic involvement -  EEEEEEEE Records.

Do you have maybe or anybody else this 5 x cdr boxset? It would be great to have it as cdr copy or MP3.

Quote from: HongKongGoolagong on August 29, 2013, 11:44:03 PM
Forgotten/underappreciated noise: Enno Rhese's Fritzodelia, factor x, Expose Your Eyes, Victor/im. Not so obscure but Mlehst seems very underappreciated to me - his sounds are quite unique and strange and Bandaged Hand was a very distinctive label. 

Enno Rhese's Fritzodelia - I don't know this project. Did it issue something more than one LP?
Factor X and Mlehst - I think these are well known (of course among people who interest in such music) projects. - I like them very much too.
Expose Your Eyes - Is it side - project of SMELL & QUIM?

HongKongGoolagong

Quote from: ImpulsyStetoskopu on August 30, 2013, 10:15:13 AM
Enno Rhese's Fritzodelia - I don't know this project. Did it issue something more than one LP?

It was just that one LP. As far as I know this was the solo project of Thomas from Very Good Records and the recordings had been made some years before their release during the 80s. Despite the track titles paying tribute to Amon Duul this was very harsh and cold walls of pure noise using shortwave as sound source. Great album. Also on that record label Ottomatik and TenZenMen were strange forgotten noise and experimental sounds. Very Good Records was an amazing label I thought - the better known acts released included Prick Decay, Project DARK and Dogliveroil.

Expose Your Eyes occasionally collaborated with Smell & Quim but was a separate entity - very prolific during the 90s with mostly tape releases which ranged from walls of noise to experimental electronics, beats and samples. He retired from making music a number of years ago.

I imagine the mystery person behind EEEEEEEEEEE could be tracked down and would supply the Leslie Singer box, it was only a few years ago the archive label was active.

pentd

re: Very Good Records --- TenZenMen LP reissued on our Arkisto label on pro-tapes some time ago. Maybe untergeschoss hq still has some? I have maybe 1 somewhere, maybe not... also on VGR was the excellent Stillupsteypa LP

Zeno Marx

Quote from: pentd on September 20, 2013, 11:57:52 PM
re: Very Good Records --- TenZenMen LP reissued on our Arkisto label on pro-tapes some time ago.
That's a really good album.  One of those blind purchases that stops you from listening to music for a while as it resonates.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

HongKongGoolagong

An article I wrote back in the 1990s about releases on Very Good including the enigmatic TenZenMen - http://web.archive.org/web/20080310073326/http://members.lycos.co.uk/Speeder/veryg.htm

I believe the Australian experimental label and organisation currently using the name has no connection with the original act and use the name as a kind of tribute. The Coits and Goosewind LPs are just as strange and obscure although the ridiculous Ottomatik 'Pizza A Go Go' album must take the prize as the weirdest release.

2pf cell

Quote from: HongKongGoolagong on August 30, 2013, 12:35:06 PM
Expose Your Eyes occasionally collaborated with Smell & Quim but was a separate entity - very prolific during the 90s with mostly tape releases which ranged from walls of noise to experimental electronics, beats and samples. He retired from making music a number of years ago.

slight thread hijack, but anyone know what happened to paul?
we used to write and trade alot, release each others stuff, back in the day; but we lost contact a long time ago.
a good man.

2pf cell

much appreciated, thank you!

i have a couple of his vhs releases here...

cr

Didn't know there was a Leslie Singer topic here. But when I searched I found this one.
Thankfully these days there's a bit more to be found than 10 years ago, thanks to Hal McGee and Leslie Singer herself.

Here's a lot of information and sounds:

http://www.haltapes.com/girls-on-fire.html

Also on the Cassette Art Classics bandcamp page.

Maybe we could start the topic anew, like mentioned in the original post, for "unknown noise/industrial/PE projects, mainly from 70s/80s and 90s".
Please rename the topic, if necessary. But I think, Leslie Singer also deserves a topic of her own for further discussions and there could be a new one
for the "unknown..."