Yukio Mishima 三島 由紀夫 (1925 - 1970)

Started by Guldur, August 28, 2013, 07:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: Jordan on September 23, 2013, 02:53:19 AM
he was just captivated by the idea, and not necessarily the beliefs associated with it so much.

Since I have not read the book in question, I will not comment on that, but isn't this very common thing what is quoted above?
It feels like most of people are captivated by the idea, but not the reality.
Like, one would be fundamental nationalist, but still disgusted by the actual nation.
One would be firm defender of democracy, but still always under impression wrong people are in power.
One would be devoted christian, but only in scale what suits own comfort. Or for sake of tradition.
One would be devoted communist, but against any leader or any system of communism that actually happened.
etc..

I'm considering Mishima would be most likely necessity to view as traditionalist, where his personal belief / agreement is not necessity, but acknowledgement of necessity of cultural traditionalism against opposing forces. I'm sure man goes through emotional battles during his lifetime figuring out the right way.

I don't think figure like Dominique Venner would get similar warm interests within industrial movement like Mishima, but in some ways there are few similarities in end. In May 2013 this elderly French author went to Notre Dame cathedral in Paris and shot himself in head. Protest suicide for sake of old europe.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

simulacrum

You stated it perfectly.
Mishima's suicide was a reaction to the success of the Meiji Restoration/the assimilation of Western values into Eastern culture. Japan's increasing industrialization and liberalization serves as the historical backdrop to just about every novel of his that I have read, the most obvious being Runaway Horses and, by extension, the Sea of Fertility series as a whole since Mishima enacted the coup the day after he turned in the manuscript to The Decay of the Angel.
It was obvious Mishima had regaled himself with thoughts of how he was going to pass due to the immediate end of a few of his books wherein the protagonist dies. There's no aftermath or a romantic description of the scene afterwards. Only being in one moment and nonbeing, and, befittingly, the end of the story in the next.

parapluie

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on September 24, 2013, 09:45:18 AMI don't think figure like Dominique Venner would get similar warm interests within industrial movement like Mishima, but in some ways there are few similarities in end. In May 2013 this elderly French author went to Notre Dame cathedral in Paris and shot himself in head. Protest suicide for sake of old europe.
I don't know if it will be published outside of France but his posthumous book Samouraï d'Occident is a great resume of his views about European civilization. Very well organized and easy to read, a truly inspiring piece of work. His suicide and latest book definitely had a huge influence on me, as much as Mishima with his life/death and books as well.

Does anyone know the Mishima movie, directed by Paul Schrader ? Is it worth watching ?

totalblack

Quote from: parapluie on September 24, 2013, 02:42:09 PM
Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on September 24, 2013, 09:45:18 AMI don't think figure like Dominique Venner would get similar warm interests within industrial movement like Mishima, but in some ways there are few similarities in end. In May 2013 this elderly French author went to Notre Dame cathedral in Paris and shot himself in head. Protest suicide for sake of old europe.
I don't know if it will be published outside of France but his posthumous book Samouraï d'Occident is a great resume of his views about European civilization. Very well organized and easy to read, a truly inspiring piece of work. His suicide and latest book definitely had a huge influence on me, as much as Mishima with his life/death and books as well.

Does anyone know the Mishima movie, directed by Paul Schrader ? Is it worth watching ?

It is definitely worth watching, I really enjoyed it. Nice Philip Glass soundtrack also.

I have just gotten into this guy recently and am about half way through both "Temple of the Golden Pavilion" and "The Sailor who Fell from Grace with the Sea" and am so far enjoying both quite a bit.

Sturmfieber

"Sun and Steel" and "Death in Midsummer" (especially the short story "Patriotism") are really good reads. Yeah, the Schrader movie was pretty good, thing is you'd have to be at least somewhat familiar with Mishima's works/life to get much out of it. Mishima was also in a yakuza movie (Afraid to Die) and a samurai movie (Hitokiri), both of which are worth checking out.

simulacrum

This reminds me that I had recently purchased Patriotism, both the standalone booklet and the short film, and have yet to engage either. Whoops.
As for the Schrader film, it's critical that you are very familiar with Mishima to truly appreciate the film as there are episodic scenes from his stories interspersed throughout the biographical scenes.

Major Carew

I'm looking to buy a copy of Sun and Steel (for a reasonable price), if anyone is looking to sell a copy. Prices online for it, even for poor condition copies, are too much for a Goy like me.

Major Carew

Quote from: theotherjohn on December 01, 2017, 02:52:51 AM
There was a copy on Amazon UK under £8 less than a day ago apparently.

Must have missed that by a Rizla paper as i've been keeping an eye on Amazon and Ebay...cheers though.

XXX

Quote from: Major Carew on December 01, 2017, 10:46:28 AM
Quote from: theotherjohn on December 01, 2017, 02:52:51 AM
There was a copy on Amazon UK under £8 less than a day ago apparently.

Must have missed that by a Rizla paper as i've been keeping an eye on Amazon and Ebay...cheers though.

Abebooks.com is also a great place to keep an eye on. Often it's a real brick and mortar store too so you can ring them up and get a discount by buying direct. Good luck.

AdamLehrerImageMaker

The Temple of the Golden Pavillion is a top 10 novel for me, though Kyoko's House is perhaps the most disturbingly prophetic of his works.

Paul Schrader's excellent 'Mishima' is a brilliant psychedelic biopic about the author and highly recommended.

monster ripper

"The Frolic of the Beasts" is being released in English for the first time on Nov. 27th (in the US at least)  Already pre-ordered my copy months ago.

brutalist_tapes

only read "sun and steel" so far, but it was amazing.. the most poetic meditation on bodybuilding that was ever written! will have to read the temple of the golden pavilion soon..

ashraf

In my early 20s I'd carry a book in the back pocket of my jeans. Sun and Steel fit and stayed with me for months. One summer day near a basketball court in the south Bronx I was reading it and a teenager approached me. I'd lived in the neighborhood for a year and had been fucked with; eggs thrown at me from windows, a robbery attempt by a crew of kids all probably under 10. 
Anyway, he asked about the book and we talked. I told him about Mishima's idea of physical perfection and its near proximity to death and relation to art. It was a great conversation and I gave him the book. No idea what happened thereafter. The next day I had my grocery bags knocked from my hands and stomped on by kids in front of my apartment.   

simulacrum

Just a reminder that Frolic of the Beasts is now out. Some stories previously unpublished in English.