Burning Out On Harsh Noise

Started by Andrew McIntosh, August 18, 2013, 04:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: ImpulsyStetoskopu on August 19, 2013, 05:41:24 PM
Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on August 19, 2013, 10:09:52 AM
Perhaps, but this also includes strong possibility to transform into mindless consumerism.
Meaning, that one has the ultimate desire to just run through entire life, from thing to another, without possibility to REALLY belong, be attached or truly indulge into something. Too busy to consume or experience, that no time to even really experience anything.

I don't think so. Being in move doesn't (or mustn't) mean lack of reflection and experience. Besides, those words describe more what should do artist in his activity - stagnation is death for art - it was manifested by Italian futurists and I believe in this idea completely. I think that people who only are listeners/viewers should do the same and follow artists... Probably this is utopian idea, but I try to use it in my life.

Certainly stagnation is as possible outcome as is moving without finding anything of worth. Many those modern artists reject the notions of skill and value. Movement is for sake of movement, nothing else.
Somewhere between lies possibility of being able to dig deeper. Develop skill and refine personal style. Not stagnating, but neither moving any further than necessary. I think in case of harsh noise it is often that. Therefore as listener, how soon to give up on album or as creator, how soon to move on? Would one just want to stamp the "that's done" on artist CV.

In this context I very much appreciate for example mr. Soddy's reviews of THIRDORGAN catalogue. While I never thought project did much of totally amazing works (I think GROSS tape is the best for my taste), I was very much blown away by someone ability and dedication to be able to experience and also analyze good portion of bands discography in smallest detail. You'd notice he paid attention. Wasn't busy moving on to next, but find out what exactly happens in particular release. Enough to sense each difference of level of "rawness", "density" or "harmonicaness". Something what demanded committing to one single (and rather unpopular-) artists catalogue.  Same I recall about SILVUMs reviews of Bizarre Uproars 3xCD box (originally 10xCDR set) or mind boggling amounts of The Rita recordings that many others could pass as "just the same", but one truly willing to stop and fully digest, finds way more.

So basically, burning out on flood of new stuff. Certainly I understand. If one merely needs 10 CD's of Incapacitants, I won't complain. That person may experience those 10 hours more than hoarders do anything.  Just listened GOLDEN SERENADES LP. Seemingly kind of Incapacitants type of thing... but.. not!    AHLZAGAILZEHGUH "Remission dependance " 12" gave few spins and while it's kind of "nothing new here", it's still damn good. I forgive the one sider thing, as it allowed instant replays even sooner. Not an "album" thats highly memorable, but still great display of talent.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

ImpulsyStetoskopu

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on August 19, 2013, 07:28:03 PM
So basically, burning out on flood of new stuff. Certainly I understand. If one merely needs 10 CD's of Incapacitants, I won't complain. That person may experience those 10 hours more than hoarders do anything.

I have no problem with multi-records releases. I have probably all of them what were issued in noise (Merzbox, The Noise - 30th Anniversary - 1979-2009, Pariah Tapes, I don't have Alchemy Box Is Stupid yet because 75% of records I have got from the first editions, not mention about most of releases which were issued by Vinyl-On-Demand). All of them I have listened at all and regularly I will do it without boring. And, I like very much some new noise projects, for example: ORGASMIC RESPONSE UNIT, DEVELOPER, PURITY OF ESSENCE, NECKHOLD or WINCE. But we are talking about tendencies, not about exceptions.

THE RITA HN

The staggering and shocking volume of the sets the other night at the Portland Harsh Noise Fest from such acts as PIECES (Kakerlak, Oscillating Innards, Redneck) and PEDESTRIAN DEPOSIT would make any doubter at this time be a solid believer again.  It was one of those cases again where 'life really made sense' during the sets.  Pure articulated power and possession.

Andrew McIntosh

Ah, now we're talking about live Noise, and while the live experience is very different from the at-home listening one, there are comparisons. A great live Noise set - no need to waffle on, we've all felt it. But it takes a social maven to want to go out all the time to see gigs, and then one had to endure the so-so, "that was good, really" type sets. I don't know how often they occur in other peoples' areas, here in Melbourne we're having something of a Noise renaissance and it's an interesting time to be getting both bored with Noise and bored with the whole going-out experience. I've got to say that I'm more encouraged than enthused. There are some stand-up quality acts (anything Mark Groves is in, for example, is going to work live), BUT there's also the get-together fuck-around groups of mates who have their fun and make their noises and that's cool man, awesome, blah blah...for a jaded old fart it takes more than that to motivate me to leave the warmth (currently) of my little unit and move.

The problem with living in Oz is that the outright excellent international acts hardly ever come. Anyone wanting to experience the best Noise has to offer has to travel, and I think that might be the case world-wide, not just for those of us doomed to the arsehole of the Earth. The Incapacitants? Con-Dom? The Haters? I know the latter two, at least, are commited enough to travel (especially GX) but still, people also have to travel to see them. Noise is a two-way commitment, always was - nothing is handed to us on a plate.
Shikata ga nai.

HOGRA

If it's good noise, you'll come back to it.
If it's bad noise, you won't.
That's the way I see it.

audiodissection

When i feel that way i feel scary. Last time it happend i fixed the problem playing back Merzbow's Hole..it was like re-descovering Noise has no time...

Possibilities with noise are ENDLESS. The limit is just something we create.

Andrew McIntosh

The Purge has done the job. Not only have I had the pleasure of excreting a load of material that I could never listen to again, I've focused on the sounds that resonate. Fortunately, it's not a lot - I don't wish to have shelves and shelves of things. Cdrs with important material are being ripped, their carcasses discarded as I drain, cds, tapes and vynal that I don't want are forming a growing pile that I'll be getting rid of, one way or the other (before you ask - no. I've made a list for Facebook friends and that's it. And what I can't give away I'll throw away - fuck it, it's just junk to me).

What's left is inspiration - I'm tempted to, once I've finished The Purge, list all those albums - cds, vynal, tapes, digital files - that I've kept and why. A bit of self indulgent patter after the task of rounding up and sending to the camps. So, you people were right - it's not burning out, it's re-igniting based on conscious decision making and a bit of work. Thank you to all.

Lenin was right - "Purge and purge again!"
Shikata ga nai.

dmkerr

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on August 21, 2013, 04:03:23 AM
The Purge has done the job. Not only have I had the pleasure of excreting a load of material that I could never listen to again, I've focused on the sounds that resonate.

I've recently done this with my jazz collection.  It was uplifting to the extreme.  I purged the need to own every single Cecil Taylor release (as an example) and the ones that actually speak to me are speaking more clearly and passionately.

Bloated Slutbag

I'd have to concur with the "mood thing" argument. The times that I've felt burned out on harsh noise were the times that I was at such a low that life in general couldn't spark my interest. No music could be worth my bother. No effort could be worth my bother. Couldn't even be fucked with killing myself.

On the other hand, I've encountered plenty of occasions where music that I love, that I LOVE, just irritates the fuck out of me (noise included), and nothing, but nothing serves better at clearing that noise out of my system than a pure scorching blast of supreme harshness, typically Incapacitants, typically Feedback Of NMS or No Risk, No Return. Crisp, clean, aural cleansing.

Apply. Rinse. Repeat. Till approximately deaf.

Yup, definitely a mood thing.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag