Canon of noise ALBUMS

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, August 02, 2013, 01:47:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

There might have been something... but then question is that what really stands as their best? I rate Alchemy Records live CD quite high and have pile of other stuff, but not sure what exactly would be stand out album for them?
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

dmkerr

I'd give the nod to Barbed Wire Maggots.  The 3rd eponymously titled disc may be my overall listening favorite, but that may be simply because it was the first of theirs I heard, and I may be waxing whimsically.  BWM seems to define their sound, IMHO.

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on August 20, 2013, 06:52:41 PM
There might have been something... but then question is that what really stands as their best?

For a long time for me it was Snuff Jazz. Simply one of the most brutal pieces of sound commited to a recording medium.
With the release of Experience The Magic, there was suddenly a contender. The Experience is at least as brutal, but lacks perhaps some of the dynamic fury of the Snuff. I've gone back and forth several times to no safe conclusion, thank you sir I'll take both.

Then came Live In Tokyo and I'd have to call that the preeminent - possibly due to the very full-bodied, bottom-heavy, mastering(?) work. Having only experienced Borbeto live once - in Tokyo! - I can't speak with any authority on what they might normally sound like live.
Not sure if it was jetlag or what but the flavors on LIT are so different from practially everything else they've done... if it weren't for the signature unrelenting brutality you might think you were listening to another band.

EDIT I remember encountering Mikawa at an Incapacitants gig wearing a Snuff Jazz t-shirt. I just had to complement the man on his impeccable choice of worship and asked him where he got the shirt. Told me he made it himself. If that doesn't just snuff all...
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

PTM Jim

I second Crumer's "Ottoman Black"
Also seconding "Total Slitting Of Throats"
Really the only so-called HNW album anyone needs. Totally overbearing listen that challenges even noise mavens to make it through, but is also trance inducing and rather an easy listen. I know those two thinks make absolutely no sense together as a description, but it's true and I think deep down that's what HNW practitioners have attempted since. It's not the first of it's kind, but it's damn near the best.

To add:
Ahlzagailzehguh - Memory And Hearing (Hospital Productions, 2011)
Perfect album that is widely available and absolutely requires multiple listens just to fully grasp all that is going on. Sets a standard for what one really can do if they actually take time, effort and actually care about what they are trying to accomplish. Very new, but it will be definitely memorable none the less.

Flatline Construct - Meatstack (Harshnoise, 2003)
Good mix of analogue, digital noise and combined.

Killer Bug ‎– Your Wife Is Mine E.P (Self Abuse Records, 1995)
What all HN 7"s wish they could amount to. Perfection in length.

Viodre ‎– UUEE Serve Me High (Cathartic Process, 2002)
If there ever was a gap between 90s and 2000s HN, Viodre is the bridge. This album sums up his work best i think and is a little more accessible.

Baglady

I love these kind of lists, and I feel this one has alot of space left. I'm no authority or expert on the subject though. I'm not sure how well Entre Vifs "Heavy Duty" fits the bill, but isn't their sound to be found in many later noise artists?

l.b.

Monde Bruits - Selected Noise Works 94-95
In my opinion a perfect japanese noise album. One track, one hour of straight DOD electronics. 'Pure' harsh noise like a stripped-down Incapacitants, a basic kind of sonic experience. There aren't really any strikingly "original" moments and it stays pretty well within certain boundaries, but in doing presents a sort of archetype or epitome of the style.

and
LHD - Lock Up 7"
John Wiese and Phil Blankenship together, total unrelenting harsh noise. Again, no frills, no clever use of samples or anything like that. I prefer the longer works, like the compilation 'Even Still,' but this one (like the aforementioned Killer Bug 7") is sort of a perfect little self-contained unit.

P A N I C

For LHD I'd vote Curtains, total balls to the wall harshness, perfect at about 20 minutes; may just be personal preference here, though. Regardless: LHD!

A recent release that would fit is Tourette's Jardin du Sommeil; proficient, innovative, absolute masterpiece, sizeable edition and .

I understand the choices for Repo and Feedback and ALAP, still imo Quietus is the stand-out release in this era.

Also, though Windom does deserve to be listed, Romance and especially Modern also do, too.

FreakAnimalFinland

I recall we talked with friend about subject, but now can't remember if topic was ever formed about bands that are great and important for the noise genre, but more based on overall contribution, not on particular classic album. I think LHD is one of those. Or Cherry Point. What really is their album that stands out particularly memorable or groundbreaking or.... ?   BUT, nobody couldn't deny their work as whole wouldn't be one landmark? Same could be said about works of Ramirez too. His importance for harsh noise is simply a fact, but when thinking what exactly is the best of his works out of zillion releases that are often quite a like? Even the best of his, aren't standing out as unique masterworks. But his output in general does. 
In such, one should be too disappointed to see favorite band not being in list of iconic noise albums, when they perhaps belong to the noise monoliths (hehe..) who gained exceptional position through vast and long noise work.

Zeno Marx

I have limited knowledge of noise around the turn of the millennium, and from that ignorant perspective, it seemed like Lefthandeddecision - Instinct & Emotion was a pivotal moment in US noise, if not noise in general.  (I said this on the other boards in the past.)
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

FreakAnimalFinland

Have to check that out for reminder what it was.

monotome

I'm going to kick this older topic, because I think it's an interesting one and still worth discussing despite Power Electronics seems to be in favor here.

Duncan

Feels like some Emil Beaulieau record ought to be in here somewhere?  No denying how influential both his solo work/collabs and RRRecords are in terms of enduring aesthetics, approaches and sounds.

Seems like Americas Greatest Noise probably fits the bill best here; pretty widely available, lock/hand carved grooves, deliberately incorrect labels giving an anti record/confusing art object style alongside some straight up, solid tracks.  Overall perfectly demonstrative of the RRR/Emil style despite being released on Harbinger Sound.  Moonlight In Vermont is probably the more consistent record overall and has enjoyed 3 different versions over different labels so could well stand alongside it.

edit:  on this note, surely any/all of the State specific RRR comps could go into the list in terms of local significance?  I don't even own any myself so somebody else would have to corroborate...

Regarding The Rita, I believe Thousands of Dead Gods should probably make this list too in that it marks a point where the project begins to make more blatantly conceptual albums in such a way that continues today? An hour of unmoving noise wall sourced from shark cage diving videos and explicitly stated as such. Also, I'm absolutely certain that I never heard the term Harsh Noise Wall until people began discussing this record...I could be completely wrong about all of this but that's what my memory is telling me.

monotome

Some suggestions:

Vomir - Proanomie (At War With False Noise, 2008)
Alongside with The Rita and the compilation Total Slitting Of Throats, Vomir is the face of HNW and I feel this is is his first release that got widespread attention being on a bigger label with more promotion but also a defines his style and HNW in general.

Lasse Marhaug ‎– Science Fiction Room Service (Jazzassin Records, 1996)
First big noise release from a Norway based artist ? Not his biggest release with the most attention (that would be 'The Shape Of Rock To Come' with 2000 copies, got mainstream attention) or the most noisy album of him, but a defining work I would say. Somewhere between harsh noise and manipulated freejazz.

Kevin Drumm ‎– Sheer Hellish Miasma  (Editions Mego, 2002)
Got quite a lot attention in more mainstream media and several represses, and also a very good album. Quite droney, but also lots of harsh parts and with an own distinct sound.

Sword Heaven -  Entrance (Load, 2007)
Percussive destruction, pretty unique and got quite some attention. However pretty much tied to noise rock and possible more 'musical' than most albums mentioned, but I feel it's rather part of noise than just 'more abrasive noise rock'.

Would also vouch for LeftHandedDecision - Instinct & Emotion, like Zeno Marx mentioned.

Jaakko V.

Quote from: monotome on April 03, 2016, 03:57:13 PM
Lasse Marhaug ‎– Science Fiction Room Service (Jazzassin Records, 1996)
First big noise release from a Norway based artist ? Not his biggest release with the most attention (that would be 'The Shape Of Rock To Come' with 2000 copies, got mainstream attention) or the most noisy album of him, but a defining work I would say. Somewhere between harsh noise and manipulated freejazz.

I was going to suggest this one as well. A noteworthy record from the point of view of nordic noise. This kind of noise at that time from that place. Of course also a great record just on its own.

Bleak Existence

yeah Vomir should be absolutely added too !