Bernard O'Mahoney

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, July 31, 2013, 09:41:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

QuotePatrick Bernard O'Mahoney (born 15 March 1960 in Dunstable, Bedfordshire, England) is an English crime author of Irish descent. He served in the British Army for three years during which time he was posted to Northern Ireland. The Hunger strikes had just begun and the Province experienced the worst violence in its long violent history. He later moved to South Africa where he was employed by a private police force during the Anti Apartheid uprising/troubles. In the 80`s he returned to England where he set up home in Essex. After taking control of security at a local nightclub he formed a partnership with Tony Tucker - one of three men who were later murdered as they sat in a Range Rover. This event captured the imagination of the media and forced O`Mahoney to retire from the security industry. He then began writing books about his many experiences. Several of these books have since become best sellers and one has been made into a film.

BOOKS:

So This is Ecstasy?
Published in April 1997, it tells the story of dealing of ecstasy and other hard drugs in the Essex area during the early to mid-1990s, which gained a high profile in November 1995 with the death of Latchingdon teenager Leah Betts.

Soldier of the Queen
Published in February 2001, this is O'Mahoney's account of his time with the British Army as a soldier in the early 1980s, including his involvement in the Northern Ireland troubles which included frequent clashes with the IRA.

Hateland
Published in May 2005, it tells of O'Mahoney's correspondence with nailbomber David Copeland. It also tells of O'Mahoney's violent childhood and youth, including the abuse he suffered at the hands of his alcoholic father and Bernard's involvement with football hooliganism and the Nazi/far-right movement and subsequently his change of views and how he helped infiltrate the British Ku Klux Klan with a News of the World reporter. O'Mahoney also recalls the backlash against his own family and many other people of Irish descent across England in the aftermath of the IRA pub bombings of Birmingham in 1974.

Wannabe In My Gang
Published in March 2004, it tells of the Kray Twins, Ronnie and Reggie, who dominated the gangland scene of London in the 1960s, as well as O'Mahoney correspondence with them during their imprisonment. It also tells of the notorious three "Essex Boys" drug dealers who terrorised Essex with drug dealing and violence during the early to mid-1990s before they were found shot dead in a Range Rover in December 1995. Bernard also, controversially, tells of how well-known British crime-figure Dave Courtney was a registered police informant, dispels several myths about the Kray twins and details how, in his opinion, many high-profile British criminals have told lies and fabricated or exaggerated events in order to boost their reputation/egos and earn money from selling "true crime" books

Essex Boys
Published in April 2000, it is a more in-depth story of the Essex Boys, who featured in part of "Wannabe In My Gang" four years later.

The Dream Solution
Published in September 2001, it tells of Bernard O'Mahoney's relationship with Michelle Taylor, a woman in her twenties, who along with her sister Lisa was convicted of murdering love rival Alison Shaughnessy in 1991, only to have their convictions quashed on appeal the following year. O'Mahoney later fought a three-year court battle which resulted in him publishing the fact that the Taylors had committed the murder he had spent months helping them get cleared of.

Bonded By Blood
Published in October 2006, it tells of the British drugs scene as a whole, relating to the earlier books "Wannabe In My Gang" and "Essex Boys" which told of the drugs scene in Essex.

Wild Thing
Published in August 2007, it is the biography of "hard man" Lew Yates.

Essex Boys – The New Generation
Published on 1 May 2008, Essex Boys – The New Generation tells of the drugs scene in Essex in the decade or so that followed the murder of the original three "Essex Boys" in December 1995.

What I said some years ago:
Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on April 22, 2011, 03:36:03 PM
Perhaps among the best TRUE CRIME books I've read for long time is HATELAND.

HATELAND book is good book to read anyone who complains about "nazis". When you see that one should rather complain about multi-problem psychopaths, which hang around everywhere where bad things happen..

"Published in May 2005, it tells of O'Mahoney's correspondence with nailbomber David Copeland which helped secure his convictions for the 1999 nail bomb attacks which led to the deaths of three people and left hundreds of others injured. It also tells of O'Mahoney's violent childhood and youth, including the abuse he suffered at the hands of his alcoholic father and Bernard's involvement with football hooliganism and the Nazi/far-right movement and subsequently his change of views and how he helped infiltrate the British Ku Klux Klan with a News of the World reporter. O'Mahoney also recalls the backlash against his own family and many other people of Irish descent across England in the aftermath of the IRA pub bombings of Birmingham in 1974."

It's pretty cheap paperback. One should be able to get it just about anywhere and very entertaining. Ultra violence, extreme characters which get very very little sympathy from reader. Just overall fuck up's who can't really handle their lives, but REALLY brutal life experiences all over.

If you have seen the Rise Of The Footsoldier, there is some cross over here with the Essex hooligans & criminals. I think more extensive scrapbook & photo section would have been good. You see when he is in cover of C18 magazine, threatened. You see the all the thugs in this book in photos, who don't appear to be the "cool thugs". You won't see some neat casual clothing or fancy tattoos. You see the genuine aggressors, you'd better stay away from.

Just recently finished ESSEX BOYS and have the ESSEX BOYS - NEW GENERATION waiting in shelves, I think this is the guy to remember. All books appear to cross-over eachother, and I think Hateland was basically better and wider than Essex Boys, yet this latter book also includes some of the most brute violence and hardmen in action on paper.

For no-glamour drug scene, brutal violence and men that will not obey the law, I guess its good to see works of author who's been in the action himself.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

tiny_tove

I was living not so far from where the whole essex boys thing happened.
I could not agree more with what you say, the way he describes the bouncer's racket is touching.
definitely a must for everybody into true crime.

Hateland is another classic. ther part where he works in security in South Africa made me cringe.
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

HongKongGoolagong

They are bleak, cold and unglamorous books - very different from the idiots of 'true gangster' stardom like Dave Courtney. I'm left thankful I haven't lived a life like that. It really seems like no fun at all. He had some interesting true crime material on his website a few years ago towards a Moors Murders book which I think was abandoned.

The letters sent as 'Patsy' to David Copeland and his pitiful replies were the standout moments for me in Hateland.

bitewerksMTB

I found really cheap copies of THE ESSEX BOYS: NEW GENERATION & the other one about Britain's hard drug scene. One was less than a dollar + postage and the other was $1.99 + postage.

Here's a book not on Mikko's list:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I4TPKf21yM

I'll be on the lookout for HATELAND but I haven't found very many copies in the U.S. that are as affordable as the Essex Boys books.