Drugs Thread

Started by Peterson, July 29, 2013, 10:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peterson

Taking Bitewerks' cue, I am starting the "drugs thread."

However, I'd like to state that the usual "I do x amount of (substance) regularly" or "I used to be an addict" type of conversation is not what I'm starting this for. I don't care for that mentality and I don't wanna know if you are a scumbag junkie or you spend all your time stoned. Just to be clear, sobriety is where it's at.

Still, I've tried almost every more common and (some less common) drug out there, whether illegal, pharmaceutical, or "traditional" (like khat, kratom, etc). I am not "into" them at all because generally they aren't worth what they cost and have stupid health risks associated. But, I know a lot of music I enjoy is somewhat influenced or affected by drug use, so I like to gain some perspective on things.

How do others feel about psychoactives? Anyone got any particularly funny or weird stories? 

And most importantly, do you have any sonic material that is made under the influence and obviously different from normal because of that?

HongKongGoolagong

Mephedrone aka 4-MMC hit the UK in 2009/2010 like the Chinese mind control trick it probably was and many people old enough to know better were enjoying it. I believe the estimate was eight million of us were doing it at weekends before it was illegal. The pure substance direct from Chinese labs was crystalline, harsh on the nostrils, euphoric, subtly trippy, aphrodisiac, addictive as hell, had curious memory loss aftereffects and was ultimately a very bad idea.

In my distant teenage years I tried and hated PCP - sent me into a terrible paranoid and doomy state. Blotter and gel LSD tabs were everywhere and cheap for UK teenagers in the 1980s. Usually had fun with that stuff.

The most unusual hallucinogen I've ever tried would be 2CE - one of Shulgin's "Magical Half-Dozen". Hit me like electric bolts with immediate physical and mental effects. Created a feeling of telepathy between the four of us performing who had taken it. Created the ?illusion? that whatever we talked about would manifest itself in our physical surroundings soon, and this did indeed keep happening. It's strong and serious stuff with dissociative effects on top of the trip, and I'd never risk taking it again, but am so glad I did.

Quite a while now since I have taken any drugs. Someone gave me half an Adderal when I was very drunk. Kept me awake and babbling nonsense for hours.

If I had to be around habitual users of any substance, I would be around speedfreaks. They are always amusing and bizarre, unlike habitual weed smokers, alcoholics and heroin addicts.

Vigilante Ecstasy

Drugs are for niggers.
I'm tensed up/To watch the sex film

HongKongGoolagong

Drugs are probably best suited to people between the ages of 18 and 25. In fact, spare me from any conservative dullards who didn't try drugs between those ages.

In response to Peterson's question about music made under the influence, I think music is best made in conditions of complete sobriety (maybe barring caffeine for concentration). The infamous effects of cocaine in helping to destroy creative talent time and again say it all. But all human experiences end up feeding into art, including whatever experiences with drugs we have had.

Andrew McIntosh

Intoxication - in some form - continues to be one of the most important factors of being a human and being alive. It will always be with us, and rightly so. There are always occasions when our senses need boosting or dulling in certain regards. Clearly, like all such things, it should be done in moderation, and discrimination is necessary towards what drug one takes.

My preferred drug is alcohol but I've been partial to yanni (what local indigenous people call marijuana) before, provided it's nice, peaceful, back-yard or naturally grown material and not hydroponic head-rape. A nice, mellow buzz in the evening makes food and music more pleasurable. It's annoying that it's illegal. But it's also something I'd want in small doses - smoking yanni every night just leads to feeling paranoid and wrecked.

LSD I've had twice. I decided not to use it again since I enjoyed it so much and, knowing me at the time, I would have become addicted. I'd be partial to using it again, but it's a once-a-year type of experience, I would think.

I would never go near heroin and experience has taught me never to trust junkies or most users. The problem with smack is that it turns people into liars. The best description of a junky I heard was someone who, if they live with you, will steal your video player then spend the rest of the day helping you look for it. When they're honest, though, it's a different story. The best arguments made against me using heroin were made by people who were using it at the time, people who cared about me and knew what would happen. I'm grateful to those people.
 Noddies on the trains or trams are fun to watch, though. I heard a story that someone would take a small amount of salt with them, so if he encountered a noddy with their head back and mouth open, he'd empty some salt into the mouth. That would be funny to see - unkind, but funny.

I tend not to have a lot of sympathy for whatever you call those who inhale paint fumes. They are remarkably blatant - walking down the road or getting on the train with their bags in their hands and their face covered in shit. I was taking a nice walk down near Merri Creek in Fitzroy one time and encountered one of these fuck-ups who instantly turned on me, threatening me with a tree-branch of all things. I'm sure if I had learned this individual's life story it would be quite sad, but it's hard for me to "feel sorry" for such people at such times. Perhaps a more academic, dis-interested sympathy.

Petrol sniffing is, apparently, a big issue among Aboriginals here, particularly up North (as always). I would, and usually do, feel a lot more for kids who sniff petrol simply because it's the done thing in their communities, or because they have older relatives and friends who sniff. I would see that as much more a symptom of overall circumstances than simple opportunism.

"Straight-edgers", or anyone who makes a big deal out of not taking drugs, would have to be some very boring and arrogant people to me. People making an issue out of what they are not doing must need a lot of psychological support.

I'm opposed to drug prohibition generally, but have a lot of misgivings about a lot of actual drugs today. People want stronger and stronger narcotics. If prohibition was lifted I'd bet there'd be a lot of serious social consequences for at least a generation. And drugs tend to be a much more profitable venture illegal than legal.
 If I had power, my solution would be - legal to make/grow drugs, legal to distribute, legal to use, but illegal to sell and buy. Cutting out the marketisation of such things would, at least, ensure no one was profiting off addiction. I'm sure there would be problems with that solution (although I'm not thinking of "libertarian" objections to anything being for free anyway - fuck those fools), and it'll never happen, of course.
Shikata ga nai.

aischrolatreia

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on July 31, 2013, 01:37:28 AM
provided it's nice, peaceful, back-yard or naturally grown material and not hydroponic head-rape. A nice, mellow buzz in the evening makes food and music more pleasurable. It's annoying that it's illegal. But it's also something I'd want in small doses - smoking yanni every night just leads to feeling paranoid and wrecked.

Good point. I strongly prefer what someone would call "Homegrown" or "Mids"  than some crazy wheelchair pot. Where I grew up that was always what you would get, just regular stuff that someone's dad's friend grew. It would get you stoned but not cast into a paranoid immobile state. In recent years more potent stuff made its way there, and now that I live in NYC I avoid it altogether because I can't determine ass from elbow after smoking it.

RyanWreck

Was big into Heroin and Oxycontin/Morphine/Opioids for many years and still dabble with IV opiates, difficult to just quit them forever and I don't see the point in taking a pill or smoking something that you can just put straight into your bloodstream. Luckily I am nowhere near as bad as I used to be and I don't have to do it ever few hours to keep from getting sick anymore, which was hell. I like benzos too and the occasional shot of coke. Beyond that I don't care. I don't even really go out and look for drugs, it's more of a thing where a friend will come around to hang out and will have some to do for free or a couple chicks I know can't hit their veins so they will sometimes call me up if they have something in exchange for getting them off.

I don't drink much anymore. I hate weed, LSD, shrooms, E, speed, all that gay shit.

Andrew McIntosh

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on July 31, 2013, 05:21:41 AM
I'm not sure I buy into the medical marijuana; it's too good to be true that it helps on every disease known to man.

I understand it can have some placebo effects, such as increasing appetite, numbing pain and so on, but marijuana reformists really do themselves a dis-service crapping on about how medically beneficial they think it is. It's unnecessary.
Shikata ga nai.

Levas

Not to go into ridiculous talks that coffeine is also drug etc., I've had DXM, salvia, marihuana, hash, lsd, coke and shrooms and ayahuasca. I think that's all.
The theme of the latest Budrus album was influenced by a shroom trip in a small island. I can't be around people when the trip starts. They seem so annoying, weak and all they do is bad for me. We were 4 on the island so 3 of them were chatting, drinking, sitting on the bench laughing and I was going in circles around the island, which was covered in snow up to knees. So during that brainstorm of several hours, I've had those "canine visions" about human corpses being eaten by dogs and so on. I like this though I do it once in a couple of years. Now the last time I've had them was 5 years ago or so. It's time to get some more.
As for ayahuasca, experiences were interesting. I have a fear of water so it was very difficult time sitting by the lake, but apart from it tasting awful, experiences are interesting.
Coke is shit and it gave me nothing
I've tried lsd just this year. I should try it sober and perhaps the dosage should be right because apart from that I was awake for quite a long time and had some interesting moments next day, nothing happened. Slight ripples on the walls. Since I went to a bar to have a beer and something to eat after the night under lsd, and stayed there, then after a few beers, I had another piece of it, I remember aggression and trying to fight someone, and then some modern YOLO kids from Britain came into the bar, started talking some shit, so I asked if they truly have such large penises as I could tell by their talks, then took off my pants and asked to measure ours telling that Lithuanians has extremely small penises and they left. So nothing very sacred about it. Should read more Groff and avoid alcohol.
dxm was long time ago, it was ok, salvia was the same.
Marihuana and hash - from time to have a joint it's ok, but it's also that I don't like to be around people after smoke. Some of them starts to laugh all the time, be funny or whatever and I usually don't understand it.

As for creations under influence, some beer is ok for me because after the amount is exceeded, the sense of quality is lost and you enjoy bleeps and blops and if I am recording something, then the next morning many questions arises why I thought this was good.. But I like a few beers when playing and in between. It gives concentration and easiness at the same time. But that maybe the sort of "ritual" already - to go to studio, sit on the sofa, think about what you will be doing, open a beer, connect the cables, play some test sounds, after everything is connected, have a cigarette and drink that first beer to the end while just thinking about the sound I want to have, the direction of it and so on. I guess if I'd remove beer from studio work, it would become quite a different experience and I can't imagine myself playing while sipping tea.

I don't quite know why one should hate one or another drug. I guess it's people that one is referring to. A few weeks ago I had a little chat with a guy whom I know a little and who has converted to all sorts of traditional medicine things, not using alcohol, but just weed and all that spiritual things. So he said that he is against alcohol because alcohol is responsible for lots of bad things in his life and overall. When I asked to explain, he said that when he was drinking, he was constantly getting into fights and getting with some girls that are not his wife and so on. So he chose to run away, live in the forest, writing about how wrong is alcohol and how good is all that traditional medicine etc. This is pathetic to have your own weaknesses transferred onto some substance and thus making yourself clear of it.

tiny_tove

I don't do drugs.
I like the fact that some hard drugs helps keeping natural selection working, although there are some downsides e.g  - tax payer's money spent on people turned to unfit-to-work minchions for their fun, plus the annoying catto-communist social workers  treating them as poor-society victims.

I really appreciate 70's heroin related aestetic. Christiane F, the needle park in Zurich, etc.

And damn, I so hate hippies and the stink of dope.

CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

kettu

Quote from: tiny_tove on July 31, 2013, 12:21:14 PM

I like the fact that some hard drugs helps keeping natural selection working,

very slow working natural selection. might be better to have tigers in the streets or remove manhole covers.

only negative feelings I have is towards pills. when guys eat them their speech sounds irritating, slow and mushy mouths but I think its due to the ammount they indulge in. I had a painpill once after surgery and my speech was fine.

never saw junkies in my little home town but theres plenty here in helsinki. people in their 20s with missing teeth etc. how high do you have to get to forget that teeth need brushing.

RyanWreck

Quote from: tiny_tove on July 31, 2013, 12:21:14 PM
I really appreciate 70's heroin related aestetic. Christiane F, the needle park in Zurich, etc.

"Panic In Needle Park" is a fantastic movie.

Quote from: LevasI don't quite know why one should hate one or another drug. I guess it's people that one is referring to.

I'd say both, at least for me. I personally hate Meth, I will never do it and never have. I dislike uppers in general, I hate the way they make me feel and only would do coke if I had some opiates and/or benzos. Meth in particular is just a nasty drug altogether, worse than crack is, objectively, as meth has a super high toxicity level (it is 10x higher than coke which is crazy) and an extremely long half-life when compared to crack, causing people to stay up for days and weeks on end which rarely happens on crack since it's a 15-20 minute high if you got a good batch. Seeing people who you used to get along with getting spun out every day and acting like some fucked up weirdo is quite maddening.

tiny_tove

Quote from: RyanWreck on July 31, 2013, 05:58:56 PM

"Panic In Needle Park" is a fantastic movie.

I was actually referring to the real needle park in Zurich (ch) which will be definitely part of one of my next works!

But yeah! Damn great movie. Pacino superb.
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

RyanWreck

Quote from: tiny_tove on July 31, 2013, 06:11:31 PM

I was actually referring to the real needle park in Zurich (ch) which will be definitely part of one of my next works!

But yeah! Damn great movie. Pacino superb.

Ohhh I see.

Do you still consider yourself Straight Edge, tove?