Survival Unit

Started by Strömkarlen, December 11, 2009, 05:43:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strömkarlen

Not to derail another thread to much I thought I start one here instead.

Survival Unit. Still I'm amazed of the lack of buzz about the rereleases that Autarkeia are putting out. I was listening to Murder is mission yesterday and it's plain great. Heavy late nineties PE delivered in a way few can match.
And then after SU came Alfarmania...

GEWALTMONOPOL

As I haven't heard much ALFARMANIA yet, let me second the above comment. Sweden has produced some PE of considerable note but IMO SU is top of the heap. And that is by no means a small heap to top! Everything except the LP on Steinklang is absolute top notch!
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...

FreakAnimalFinland

When project started, I was little sceptical about it. It seemed so much of like Grey Wolves worship, but lacking something. But when time passed, and releases kept coming, now everything is simply better. From artwork, to overall concepts, to actual execution of sound. I think project may have suffered a lot of non-music related thing. Infamous clip online always being the focus point of talk about band. Or everybody wondering where their money disappeared. And attention is derailed into something different.

I carry all SU material I can. All Alfarmania material that I can. I can recommend to anyone looking for quality old fashioned "prototype" power electronics. One could say it even kicks ass of many of groups that may have influenced it. There has been plan for SI magazine to make special look on sweden and I have a volunteer who said he could write indepth pieces about all these Autarkeia related releases.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

GEWALTMONOPOL

I think SU kicks the ass of GREY WOLVES quite severly.
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...

bogskaggmannen

Every board deserves a Kristian Olsson-thread!

I dug out an older Survival Unit tape the other week and it hadn't really stood the test of time I think - but on the other hand I have never really enjoyed any of their work. To me Alfarmania encompasses much more life (or near-death?) and strength than SU ever did.

Should be interesting to hear Kristians forthcoming solo LP on Nattmaran (Sewer-Dans new label) - more information (in Swedish) here:

http://kristianolsson.blogspot.com/

alpharmania

Here I am at last... I was stunned by reading first issue of Special Interests magazine and when I heard about the forum from TC, I was enthusiastic to read thoughtful reflections on fanatic subject matter. Unfortunately I have been going through some serious difficulties and hardships in my private (family) life this fall (deaths / family court etc), but as I spit in contempt in the face of death before, I see no reason why not do it again.

Survival Unit is a closed chapter and I am not proud of some parts of its musical approach (especially in its first stages), or incompetent ways I dealt with it at times. Still it is my burden and I still am surprised to see people have enough interest in it to do several CDs of old material. Only works I still enjoy listening to myself are Fentanyl Martyrs and Murder for the Mission...

Alfarmania has been on ice since our last concert at War & Hate Open Air in Sweden (August). Both myself and my bandmate Tony has been having a rough time recently... even if the work with Alfarmania has been one of the only reasons for going on these years, it has been impossible to do it when it has been daily struggle to stay alive. A few weeks ago we moved into a new studio collective and got hold of new gear. In first weeks of 2010 we begin work in new material. It will manifest itself as continued vinyl releases on Autarkeia label. Hopefully we also finally work out the last technical difficulties around the "Farsot" LP on Dogma Chase.
Autarkeia released a luxerous box-set version of Bottenskrapet picture LP. We have an additional tape for those who ordered this one, so please get in touch at our e-mail with some kind of proof that you own it + postal address.

For all inquiries on Styggelse and Alfarmania related business / orders / questions I want to redirect communications to alpharmania@gmail.com and not earlier one alfarmania@gmail.com which is out of order due to technical difficulties. If there is some problem, we sort it out now since our personal situations are  relatively solid again. 

Love wrote about the LP on Nattmaran. This is entitled "Att vara där jag var innan jag var jag" and contains material of more organic / ritualistic nature. Those who enjoyed works of Alfarmania will probably appreciate this as well... Releaseparty will take place at Utmarken in Gothenburg at 30 January 2010. Källarbarnen + support (?) as well.... More solo work coming soon on Autarkeia on CD format. Bo Cavefors / Kristian Olsson "Dödens ö", once again taking up my collaboration work with Cavefors after five years of silence. It is Cavefors reading a libretto about his reflections on soon entering the kingdom of death. In addition to this there is an extensive instrumental piece to fill out remaining part of the album.There was an exhibition of artworks and video installations I did over 10 year period in Sundsvall during November / december. It had SÄPO surveillance and I only got even more pariah status in my hometown. However an exhibition catalogue (32 pages A5) is being printed now. Some mailorders like Timeless will carry it.

BOTC is still alive and kicking. New album is scheduled for spring and few cassettes will follow as well....

that was a short report from my side and hopefully a worthy introduction to the forum.