Otomo Hava / The Rites Of Wall / Violent-Gay-Stripper / Vomir - Untitled CDR

HNW from Greece, U.S.A, UK, France

Unlimited Copies

Out Now On Shit Noise Records

shitnoise.weebly.com

Andrew McIntosh

From the Shitnoise site -

QuoteBands and Artists will receive in their e-mail all tracks + covers
You will need to print and burn your CD-Rs.

Shikata ga nai.

Otomo_Hava

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on July 13, 2013, 03:40:45 AM

From a point of view, it really sucks, i know.
I've decided not to collaborate anymore to this label.
I will look up for any other labels who they're making releases regularly.

Lust

That's just pathetic.

martialgodmask

Quote from: Otomo_Hava on July 14, 2013, 06:19:27 PM

From a point of view, it really sucks, i know.
I've decided not to collaborate anymore to this label.
I will look up for any other labels who they're making releases regularly.

Did you know that this would be how you would be paid/"supported"?

online prowler

Sounds a bit like a odd deal to me. No doubt first impression leaves a bitter taste in the mouth. Though final impression I say would be graded from how the label is able to spread and make visual/present the release in the public sphere. So, holding my standpoint for now. When that is said .. I think a good way of approaching collaborative projects between band and label from a label's point of view - not that I am an expert - is to be objective and open about once activity and dealings, and consider how one self want to be met, supported, presented and treated as an artist. On a note on the release: Interesting and good curating of artist I must say.

Andrew McIntosh

Quote from: online prowler on July 15, 2013, 12:40:43 AM
final impression I say would be graded from how the label is able to spread and make visual/present the release in the public sphere.

Looks like it isn't. Apart from a shitty website, there isn't any indication that Mr. Shitnoise (or Mrs. Shitnoise, whoever), is making any effort at all in spreading anything to the public. Nor can I see how that's possible if it's up to the contributing artists to do the manufacturing, since what are they going to do then? Send the completed cdrs to the label for distribution? Doesn't seem to be any indication of that, so the only conclusion is that the artists are also paying for the postage to whomever orders.

The "releases" page just links to Discogs pages. The "netlabel" page links to Bandcamp pages. This person is not sinking money, time or work into any of this, apart from coming up with a few pretty terrible graphics.

Can we at least be clear about what the definition of a label is? It's when a person or group of persons put in significant work and money into producing actual releases. There's different ways of doing it, and different attitudes - some insist the artists have all the last words, others insist the label has as much control over content, packaging, etc. as possible, and all the variants between. I'm ambivalent about whether any artist wants to have their material released on a label or on their own, but can we please ensure we're all talking about the same thing? This thing is not a label, and should be regarded as what it is - some fool trying to ride on the effort of others. Certainly the name "Shitnoise" is a give-away, but still - basic minimums, people, please.

Otomo Havo, release your material any way you want. I don't doubt Shitnoise thinks it's working in some kind of "collective/DIY" manner - it would certainly be the most obvious excuse. There is nothing wrong with that at all, but Martial God Mask's question still stands - were you aware of this deal before you agreed to it? It seems to me that if there's going to be a collective effort, everyone involved should at least know about it. But it also seems to me that everyone should have more of a say in how releases are put together, distributed, packaged etc. The decision making, as well as the actual labour and financial investment, should be collective. Other-wise, the label should be doing the hard yards.
Shikata ga nai.

online prowler

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on July 15, 2013, 03:51:15 AM
Quote from: online prowler on July 15, 2013, 12:40:43 AM
final impression I say would be graded from how the label is able to spread and make visual/present the release in the public sphere.

Looks like it isn't. Apart from a shitty website, there isn't any indication that Mr. Shitnoise (or Mrs. Shitnoise, whoever), is making any effort at all in spreading anything to the public. Nor can I see how that's possible if it's up to the contributing artists to do the manufacturing, since what are they going to do then? Send the completed cdrs to the label for distribution? Doesn't seem to be any indication of that, so the only conclusion is that the artists are also paying for the postage to whomever orders.

The "releases" page just links to Discogs pages. The "netlabel" page links to Bandcamp pages. This person is not sinking money, time or work into any of this, apart from coming up with a few pretty terrible graphics.

Can we at least be clear about what the definition of a label is? It's when a person or group of persons put in significant work and money into producing actual releases. There's different ways of doing it, and different attitudes - some insist the artists have all the last words, others insist the label has as much control over content, packaging, etc. as possible, and all the variants between. I'm ambivalent about whether any artist wants to have their material released on a label or on their own, but can we please ensure we're all talking about the same thing? This thing is not a label, and should be regarded as what it is - some fool trying to ride on the effort of others. Certainly the name "Shitnoise" is a give-away, but still - basic minimums, people, please.

Otomo Havo, release your material any way you want. I don't doubt Shitnoise thinks it's working in some kind of "collective/DIY" manner - it would certainly be the most obvious excuse. There is nothing wrong with that at all, but Martial God Mask's question still stands - were you aware of this deal before you agreed to it? It seems to me that if there's going to be a collective effort, everyone involved should at least know about it. But it also seems to me that everyone should have more of a say in how releases are put together, distributed, packaged etc. The decision making, as well as the actual labour and financial investment, should be collective. Other-wise, the label should be doing the hard yards.

Hey, chill Andrew. Don't get too engaged in this net label. I personally couldn't care less. All I'm saying is the release is new, give it a chance, the internet is wast, who knows where info might pop up. Let's not hope this thread will be the best publicity the album will get! HA! Though I see your points. This actually - the practice being discussed - would make an interesting thread.  

SNR

I really don't know... this label release an "Ltd. 50" CDr near every day, but I really think that It's a faux. Just look at this massive list, it's insane:
http://www.discogs.com/label/Shit+Noise+Records
Never posted any picture of the releases, or something, and hell, make 2-3 releases in a week? I think he is just make 4-5 covers, maybe 1-2 unprinted CDrs. If you release something, and say an exact number of copies, why lying about it? It's not a shame to make small editions, but the fact when somebody writes 75, and actually made 10-15, is pathetic. The only positive thing in this label, the fact, it's accept everything from any noise/P.E. artist... but it will never promote it, give you a higher level, send stuff to other labels, etc:.

The e-mail thing is so absurd, isn't it's just a simple typo, or something? Why he want to send back the tracks+covers? Isn't the artists already own it?

martialgodmask

Quote from: SNR on July 15, 2013, 11:36:27 AM
The e-mail thing is so absurd, isn't it's just a simple typo, or something? Why he want to send back the tracks+covers? Isn't the artists already own it?

I don't think so, I guess the idea is that once the release has been "curated" it is then passed back in full to the artists concerned, with all of their work compiled. It is in this sense simply a middle-man operation getting artists "in touch" with one another, perhaps providing artwork (questionable as it may be), with the bonus that the middle-man can get some sense of satisfaction that they've "done their bit".

This is not a criticism of the artists, to each their own, but if one is prepared to accept a release like this would it not be better to cut out the middle-man? A split may not be so hard to organise when many of us "hang out" in the same message boards. It could I guess be a question of trust and an aspiration for tangible legitimacy.