Human Larvae - Womb Worship/ Reviews and December bundle

Started by Human Larvae, July 06, 2013, 01:44:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

fin de siècle

Brilliant video – a good teaser, especially musically ... this one makes me really excited about the album now : )

tiny_tove

fantastic
I have been a huge fan of your stuff since I have discovered it thanks to martin, but this seems even more exciting than past stuff
and GREAT video teaser.
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

Human Larvae

Out now on L.White!

LW073 HUMAN LARVAE

Womb Worship

CD lim. 300 / special package

price 12.00 Euro

A doom-ridden power-electronics / Industrial mix, further exploring the nature of obsession for the weaker vessel. Dense layers of drone and noise form clear abrasive walls of desolate insanity. An album like a crime of passion, committed at the altar of her worship.

Human Larvae

reviews:

Muhmur:

Have just spent a pleasant while listening to the latest album release by Berlin based project Human Larvae. "Womb Worship" has just been released on CD format by L.White Records. I have a feeling that the album is a "bit of a" classic of its genre....what e'er that may be? Power Electronics, Dark Ambient Noise, Black Metal? It's like hearing a classic by Brighter Death Now or Genocide Organ. Not in sound but in ... hang on a minute here this is bloody good!
"Womb Worship" is a concept album. Eight songs that bleed in to each other over 43 and a bit minutes. It needs to be played loud - it has been mastered that way by James Plotkin. (There's a name from the 90's). It beggars the question; Does your worst nightmare need a soundtrack?
"Perdition From The Virgins Mouth" opens the album with a dramatic one chord piano loop and the onset of thunder clouds. Ominous. The track has a great full sound, three hundred and sixty degrees of sound, a room is full of interference before the vocals start. Shouting guttural vocals through echo device, this kind of vocal is not a favourite...found a lot in Black Metal circles and Harsh Noise. Here (on this album) the vocal treatment blends with the music so it's not all consuming or over powering. I get the "gist" but can't tell what the bloody hell is being communicated. A breath loop leads in to "The Truth I Failed To See" a superb contrast of spiralling uncertainty and spoken word. "Slave To Violence" is blistering sonics with scraped metal and rattling chains. I was fortunate to witness Human Larvae's UK live debut in Exeter earlier this year and saw how Human Larvae create this great sound of bowing an iron rod over the rim of a metal box, through contact mic's, ambient mic's and effects pedals to create an ungodly sound. Beautiful. (I have the iron rod here with me. I keep it next to my CD collection like a rock geek who salivates over owning Jimmy Page's plectrum). "Entwined In The Umbilical Noose" has a great bass vibration building some kind of perimeter before a sonic battle begins ending in a multi-layered cacophonous symphony and stripping down to an assuring and calming four note bass line...."Methods Of Possession" is more vocals with junk metal and more of an introduction to "Wrapped In The Warm Sheets Of Mother Love" and its spinning wheel of blistering noise and spoken word (tape / sample). The story of matricide? This track plays like old school industrial. To an old TG / SPK head like me it is simply brilliant.
"Obsession Intermezzo 2" is the calm before the storm with synthetic strings and wet flesh. The album ends with the title track "Womb Worship". A wall of noise with split stereo vocal treatment, clanking metal and sonic depth charges. The album ends abruptly and all of a sudden...no fade, no come down - like suddenly awakening. Classic.

If you like Power Electronics, cleverly constructed sonic walls of layered madness (think Grunt, Burial Hex and Soldnergeist here) then you need to hear this album. Packaged in an 6 inch CD wallet and great black and white photography  - the cover being a close up of a clitoris (no credit), I am saying essential. Available in Europe via L.White www.lwhite-records.de and Tesco Distro and in the UK via Peripheral Records.

http://muhmur.blogspot.de/2013/08/human-larvae.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heathen Harvest:

My interest in Human Larvae was first piqued when I reviewed the first Epicurean Escapism compilation in April, 2013, their inclusion on that compilation are what  got me into digging more into the music of Human Larvae. Before that I was only aware of Daniel Burfoot's project for his very first full-length Home Is Where The Hurt Is and especially its cover artwork, which is still one of my all time favorites. Five years later Human Larvae is back with a new record. Hosted in interesting, modest, but very beautiful packaging and what's more important with a sound far more refined (additionally perfected by James Plotkin's mastering), more convincing and complex, but still hostile, cold and harsh.

"Feed the eye what it desires...
sweet serenades of my destruction"
Perdition From The Virgin's Mouth

Womb Worship is offering a tight and violent grip that is compressing all your being in its thick aura. The density of the record, probably due to its conceptual nature and complexity, is the main strength of the recording. Right after the looping and grim piano chord of Perdition From The Virgin's Mouth rings for the very first time, you are starting a harsh sonic treatment, which just doesn't give you neither the time to breathe, nor to get distracted. Once the wall of sound of Womb Worship has started expanding you can't really make your way out of it. The album is extremely textural and rich. Noises from all types are finding their way through each other, thus directing the pieces in various courses. And once you feel a bit comforted by a sporadic static moments of perverse and harsh sonic hypnosis the distorted and heavy grunts of the Larvae intervene to wake up and enslave you again in this world of extremes.

"Lovesick death wish womb worship, forever scarred and left searching.
Repeating my misdemeanours until I rot in her blazing light"
Womb Worship

Even though Womb Worship is harsh, it's also a very musical album. Many details can be traced inside it and I'll try to get you a bit in its ambiance. The above mentioned opener, minimalist and gentle at first gradually evolves in a chaotic noise mantra, and is slowly disfigured in degrading pulse which gives life to a breathlike sound, somewhere between pleasure, pain and suffering. A complex state of mind, that I actually interpret as the actual leitmotif of the record. After the small The Truth I Failed To See piece which is acting as an interlude, but somehow still carries a lot of the essence of the record, Slave to Violence puts you in a realm constructed by metallic noises, tense and oppressive higher frequencies who are piercing the complex noise to sharpen your senses and then disappear like vivid and disturbing hallucinations.

Womb Worship's abrasiveness is almost constant, but at some point your ears are so used to enduring the ruthless exposure to Daniel's frequency abuse, that it's harshness is becoming more and more atmospheric (yet intense) than radically extreme. An example is Entwined In The Umbilical Noose, which after climaxing to distorted sound massacre is slowly murdered in a calming bass pulse. The piece that left me inexplainably worried and exhausted the most was Wrapped In The Warm Sheets Of Mother Love, spoken word intertwined with a harsh noise wall, which abducts you and abandons you in the cold cellar, soaked with anility Obsession Intermezzo II. However, the ultimate creation (and experience) in this relentless walk into the depths of the sound of Human Larvae, is the self-titled closing piece. It is the uncompromising end of a world which embraced you only to leave you defiled and disintegrated, so you can be used in its filthy violent game.

In Womb Worship, I could have gone into more detail and deeper than I attempted to do here, but music, especially as affective as the one we are exposed to here should be experienced and analyzed personally. One thing I hope for is that Daniel Burfoot stays active in the scene for many more years in the future. I am convinced his imagination, and captivating approach to sharing its (rotten) fruits, has a lot more worthy music to structure and expose to our masochistic minds.

Track List:

01) Perdition From The Virgins Mouth
02) The Truth I Failed To See
03) Slave To Violence
04) Entwined In The Umbilical Noose
05) Methods Of Possession
06) Wrapped In The Warm Sheets Of Mother Love
07) Obsession Intermezzo II
08) Womb Worship

Rating: 5/5
Written by: Angel S.
Label: L. White Records (GER) / CD (Limited to 300) / LW-073

http://heathenharvest.org/2013/08/14/human-larvae-womb-worship/

Human Larvae

Brutal Resonance:

Art, as I can see it concept in general, has a really significant role for the human interpretation of a macro world around and its influence on the inner world of each of us. But it has not only a positive impulse implemented inside of it. There should be also a space for those that try to reveal their frustrations and fears, their will for a loud protest and demand for changes. I am convinced that power electronics is an exact musical genre to serve those needs of very special individuals which don't want to shut up and eat themselves from inside. Having a true independent nature this genre leaves a free and uncensored scene for any possible theme or discussion. It can be truly anything, from wars and economic instability to cultural differences and personal disorder.

That's why, when I start to dive into the atmosphere that brought to me through the new creation of Berlin resident Human Larvae, I am not surprised to discover a deep social background behind the album 'Womb Worship'. Maybe you already guessed from the name, but what we are talking here about is a constant pursuit after the ideals of the modern society when one of them is unhealthy hyper-tolerance towards themes like gender differences. Generally, it is good when woman is treated with the high level of respect, but it is totally unacceptable when the sense of this level loses all proportions turning into obsession and complex social cult, kind of womb worship, over-fetishizing the opposite sex. Thus, Daniel tries to express the negativism of the subject using one of the best tools of extreme art, a trumpet of protest, power electronics.

While the music of Human Larvae can fall into the description of classic PE, it has some tasty stuff inside that gives it a lot of positive points to raise it above the regular averagism. From the beginning, with the first minutes of "Perdition from the Virgin Mouth" I am being covered with a huge wave of sound. Noise generators generate noises, scratch generators generate scratches and vocal session generates lots of hatred and violence; everything seems to be in place as expected. Metallic, industrial and harsh noise pulsations are bound together in one knot of brutalism. The sound is pretty raw, finding the right balance between post-processing and pure dirtiness. All the noise production plays a quite chaotic role; I barely can feel any specific rhythm or structure in it. What do give a form to the compositions are the atmospheric patches and special effects widely spread all over the music. For example, a dramatic piano loop that guides the first track along with a slow percussive drum beat, slow and gloomy background melody of "Entwined in the Umbilical Noose", anxious industrial textures of "Methods of Possession", spoken words, sampled voices and many many others. There are also slower themes which are even close to dark ambient genre like "Obsession Intermezzo II" or "The Truth I Failed to See" that definitely contribute to the dense ambience and sensual experience created by Human Larvae.

At the end of the long day, when I ran the cd over and over again trying to feel the spirit and the content as deep as possible, I am convinced that Daniel succeeds in setting control over all the elements and items of the whole soundscape and his message is pretty clear. Sometimes the music becomes too harsh and formless for my taste, but those parts are quite rare. Inside 'Womb Worship' I receive an honest scream from the depth of the artist' heart, without hypocrisy, without all those sweet and kind (read tolerant) words that are hammered into our ears every day. Sometimes the truth has to be sharp in order to give people like Daniel tools to break our self-deceit that poisons our hearts and blinds our eyes.

http://www.brutalresonance.com/review/human-larvae-womb-worship/

-----------------------------------------------

Noise Receptor:

Human Larvae is one of the newer guard of German projects, being the solo project of Berlin native Daniel Burfoot.  Choosing to operate at the edges of death industrial, power electronics and experimental noise, Human Larvae align comfortably with similar acts who function within the grey spaces between various abrasive underground 'industrial' related genres. Noting the solid debut album 'Home Is Where The Hurt Is' was issued in 2008, Daniel issued a 2011 tape releases as part of the refining of his sound to a razor-sharp point for this sophomore album.

'Perdition from the Virgins Mouth' opens the album in stunning fashion, where a gloomy, catatonically played piano note ring out against scratching junk metal tones, low bass thuds and agonisingly yelled/ distorted treated vocals.  'The Truth I Failed To See' follows, yet operates in far more subdued territory, containing looped breathing sounds, understated wavering synth tones, distant conveyor belt rhythms and thematic dialogue sample.  'Slave To Violence' steps up the tone in a more classic power electronics vein, relying on a bass loaded undercurrent, overblown metallic junk metal distortion and prominent screeched vocals, which in many ways reminds of the aggressive yet densely detailed sonic approach of recent Grunt material.  In more direct terms – excellent.  By pulling back on the throttle 'Entwined In The Umbilical Noose' delivers a lengthy track with a cavernous wind tunnel aesthetic.  Across its span the piece shifts through various segments involving: a lone organ dirge; grating tonal textures; wheezing noise and droning three note melody. Located towards the centre of the album, 'Methods of Possession' brings to mind the focused intensity of IRM, which is used as a positive comparison to highlight the quality found here.  This particular track works on multiple levels by merging chaotic micro-tonal sonic detailing with organic sounding drones, over which the layered, distortion saturated vocals are delivered with desperate intensity.

Given that the use of abuse related dialogue samples is by now considered 'de rigueur' for this type of material, this can lead to the listener being somewhat desensitised to the intended impact.  This is clearly not the case on 'Wrapped In The Warm Sheets Of Mother Love', being a track of driven distortion and burrowing noise, over which a sample referencing sexual abuse perpetrated by a mother (as recounted by the son) creates a strong and nauseating impact.  This nauseous tone remains on 'Obsession Intermezzo II' (despite containing a totally different sound to the preceding track), here featuring minutely amplified 'wet' textural sounds, low bass drone and menacing synth melody. The title track arrives as the concluding album composition, which expertly balances an atmosphere which is equally heavy as it is ominous. Here vaguely rhythmic drones, grinding textures, scattered junk metal noise and heavy echo distortion treated vocals are the order of the day, and whilst not necessarily covering new sonic territory for this style, Human Larvae nevertheless nails the sound perfectly.

Whilst 'Womb Worship' is not a long album at 43 minutes, not a single minute of its play time is wasted on any second-rate filler.  The mastering provided by James Plotkin is solid, hefty and suitably loud, yet also contains depth and tonal separation to allow the quieter tracks to breath with ample sonic space.  With its tonal diversity and threateningly weighty atmosphere (even in its quieter moment), Human Larvae have succeeded in delivering a diverse and distinctive sound.  By displaying an equal balance of aggression and restraint, 'Womb Worship' is delivered with an absolutely convincing degree of focus and control.  This album has already garnered extensive rotations around these quarters and is exactly the type of album to warrant many more repeat rotations in future.

Human Larvae

There's a small run of Human Larvae t-shirts (S-XL) which can be bought as a special offer bundle as of today until Dec. 24th

T-Shirt 12€
T-Shirt + Womb Worship CD 20€
T-Shirt + Womb Worship CD + "Home..." CD 28€

just pm