E.M. Cioran

Started by cr, June 23, 2013, 06:55:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cr

General topic about this Romanian-French writer. Favourite quotes and aphorisms and so on...

I often return to his books (mostly the ones with the aphorisms), open at random page and there's for sure something that relates to my mood at the moment.

And there's at least two Noise-related records with some Cioran on it:
*John Duncan: Da sich die Machtgier...  - Based on recordings of Asmus Tietchens' voice, reading excerpts from 'Learning from the tyrants'
*The Vomit Arsonist: Birth Recovery  - quote from Cioran one the backside: 'No one recovers from the disease of being born, a deadly wound if there ever was one'

One of my favourite quotes is (of course, hah): "Sometimes I wish I were a cannibal – less for the pleasure of eating someone than for the pleasure of vomiting him."

More later...

acsenger

Asmus Tietchens puts Cioran quotes on pretty much all of his releases, I think (or at least all that I've seen/own have quotes).

I haven't read Cioran in a fairly long time but I remember liking some of his writings despite their difficulty.

tiny_tove

my work as wertham and foresta di ferro is strongly influenced by his work, and the one of his friend guido ceronetti (I highly suggest THE SILENCE OF THE BODY).
We quoted him several times.

my fave book is the one entitled in Italian "The temptation to exhist"...
intriguing character, with adventurous past.
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

Bloated Slutbag

Cioran is certainly hard on the head. Safest to stick with the zingers and quotables:

"Nobility is only in the negation of existence, in a smile that surveys annihilated landscapes."
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

Bleak Existence

andy vomit

my favorite.  huge influence on THE VOMIT ARSONIST material/subject matter. 
thevomitarsonist.wordpress.com
danversstaterecordings.blogspot.com

cr

From 'On the heights of despair' (1934):
"Why don't I commit suicide? Because I am as sick of death as I am of life. I should be cast into a flaming caldron! Why am I on this earth? I feel the need to cry out, to utter a savage scream that will set the world atremble with dread. I am like a lightning bolt ready to set the world ablaze and swallow it all in the flames of my nothingness. I am the most monstrous being in history, the beast of the apocalypse full of fire and darkness, of aspirations and despair. I am the beast with a contorted grin, contracting down to illusion and dilating toward infinity, both growing and dying, delightfully suspended between hope for nothing and despair of everything, brought up among perfumes and poisons, consumed with love and hatred, killed by lights and shadows. My symbol is the death of light and the flame of death. Sparks die in me only to be reborn as thunder and lightning. Darkness itself glows in me."

An interesting chapter of this period (1930s) is Cioran's enthusiasm for Hitler while being in Berlin and that he joined Corneliu Codreanu's Iron Guard in Romania.

ghoulson

Cioran has influenced a couple of Alfarmania tracks.... I also had several discussions of his work with Leif Thuresson / RJF - he regards Cioran as one of the most important thinkers ever. 
Nikanor Teratologen (Assisted Living etc) recently made a translation of "A Short History of Decay" - published on Hström as "Sammanfattning av sönderfallet". Highly recommended....
Got a couple of his books but they are expensive to come across here in Sweden.

This documentary should be of interest to some people: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78y06QkpnC8

Guldur

Cioran was also a heavy influence for some czech industrial underground. Notably bands like Skrol, Aghiatrias and Vladimir Hirsch are mentioning Cioran's quotes on their albums. Ars Morta Universum even had his portrait on the header of their former website www.macabre.cz

I would also like to start reading some of his works, so do you think there is any of his books i should start with? Of course, you can always take anythink and read the books according their availability....

cr

I'd recommend to start with the books consisting of aphorisms for the most parts, like "Drawn and Quartered", "The Trouble with being Born" or "All Gall Is Divided", and if you like what you read move on to the more difficult reads. (e.g. "History and Utopia", "A Short History of Decay", "The Temptation to Exist",...and more)

Levas

Is "A Short History of Decay" translation to English ok? Cause as I tried to read it, it was practically impossible to understand most of the parts.

Anyways, while reading The Trouble with being Born, found this. Automagically thought it suits overall noise scene so well:

As art sinks into paralysis, artists multiply. This anomaly ceases to be one if we realize that art, on its way to exhaustion, has become both impossible and easy.

2pf cell

Quote from: Levas on November 24, 2013, 05:38:49 PM
Is "A Short History of Decay" translation to English ok?

just reading this myself
it IS a bit tortuous/dense, but yeah, the bulk of it is graspable