Zeno Marx

Quote from: Goat93 on June 04, 2013, 04:35:19 PM
Quote from: Zeno Marx on June 03, 2013, 09:08:53 PM
Contrastate
2012-11-17
Mannheim, 7er Club
25th anniversary of Tesco Germany - Day 2
total time:   41:26

I'm listening to this recording now (shared at the Dime tracker).  It's quite nice, both in content and fidelity.

Don't know what a Dime Tracker is, where is thi avaible, since its exactly what i want from Contrastate, since the Concert was Fantastic, but the Recordings aren't as good as the Concert
http://www.dimeadozen.org/
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Goat93

Ah, Torrent :(

Never used.

Zeno Marx

If I hadn't known, I would have thought this to be the opening sequence to a Contrastate album.

https://littlesomebodyfamily.bandcamp.com/album/dawn
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Zeno Marx

Contrastate - False Fangs For Old Werewolves CD

My goodness is this ever a fantastic collection.  It plays like an album proper.   "The Birth Of Zarathustra" caught me by surprise in the best of ways.  Even though they just released an album last year, I miss them.  Quality by the tanker load.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

throneheap

Quote from: Zeno Marx on January 23, 2018, 03:31:00 AM

My goodness is this ever a fantastic collection.  It plays like an album proper.   "The Birth Of Zarathustra" caught me by surprise in the best of ways.  Even though they just released an album last year, I miss them.  Quality by the tanker load.

Noticed the discogs note for this CD :

"The hidden track "Backwards Diva" can be found by rewinding track 1."

Not sure I understand?

XXX

Quote from: throneheap on January 25, 2018, 03:32:17 AM
Quote from: Zeno Marx on January 23, 2018, 03:31:00 AM

My goodness is this ever a fantastic collection.  It plays like an album proper.   "The Birth Of Zarathustra" caught me by surprise in the best of ways.  Even though they just released an album last year, I miss them.  Quality by the tanker load.

Noticed the discogs note for this CD :

"The hidden track "Backwards Diva" can be found by rewinding track 1."

Not sure I understand?

will try to explain: sometimes when you burn a cd you can choose to put a gap between songs. The machine reads this as a negative amount of time added to a track. If the first track has negative amount it will not be read by the machine unless you use the reverse play/rewind to hear the "track 0" as it's sometimes called. They first did this on the xfiles soundtrack CD (I think)

Edit: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songs_in_the_Key_of_X:_Music_from_and_Inspired_by_the_X-Files

throneheap

Thanks! Never came across such a hidden track.

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: throneheap on January 25, 2018, 01:37:32 PM

That, you see, is because it was hidden.

I've had buncha SRMeixner off and on the last few months. Will drop by to drop some musings next session.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on January 30, 2018, 05:11:58 AM
I've had buncha SRMeixner off and on the last few months.

Well it may be bit much to dub the handful to date released "buncha" but here go the (abbreviated) musings...

The shortest description I could offer of SRMeixner is obvious single-person continuation of (some of) the papa project's preoccupations. Much more mixing desk studio attentive, less prone to statement grandiloquent grandiose. Other words previously encountered in this topic were "live", "dark", even "luxurious". SRMeixner demonstrates the skills necessary to the achievement of such descriptors, but never tries. The work is much too thought-out and through-composed to go "live", the atmos too cold and clinical to register "dark" of the fleshly persuasion. There is certainly a certain beguiling depth and intrigue to consistently belie strawberry-frosted strands of glimmering, occasionally sumptuous, underbellies. Meixner is hardly the only voice involved in any one effort, each release calling up a very Contrastate-esque cast of characters. Perhaps the most successful in this regard is the most recent, the already several-times namechecked Segerhuva disc. In comes a broadened cast of familiar faces, thrown into spaghetti western that serves as nice metaphor for the speghetti-mess-like strands strung out across a wide open, sun-baked, palate. Less through-composed statement, more exploratory and, me sez, more successful. I am encouraged that this is the most recent "solo" offering to date, discouraged that such a number of years has already intervened.

There was in the meantime a collab with RLW which I very much like, but which is also of the through-composed clinical disturbed-Nursey atmos. Thus first hard to call SRMeixner proper and second far from lapped in luxury.

There's a collab with Scott Tayler that looks very good but which I've yet to indulge. (Hopefully to be arriving soon!) Discogs credits Johnathan Grieve with vocals on the closing ditty so my Contrastate-ly hopes are high.

There was something called Intravene with the Band Of Pain guy. Floating atmospheric loops burnished by half-hidden depths. Haven't listened in some time, but recall as kind of slow burner slash grower. Will definitely need to re-apply the ears.
And take you for a drag

Zeno Marx

That collaboration with RLW has to be good.  Didn't know it existed.  Need to hear that.  I've been remiss with SRMeixner.  I think I've only heard one of his solo deals?  Not good, but it also means a ton of joy is left on the table.  Maybe he's hanging out with Zoviet France if he's toying with spaghetti western vibes?  Or at least an idea was sparked?  Cool to hear Johnathan Grieve is working with him.  Not many can pull off what he does.  Have to admit I don't get the "gothic" label they got because of him.  Call him something, but gothic?

Contrastate - A Breeding Ground for Flies 2012 - beautiful album, as I'd expect - some great ambient and sonics.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

FreakAnimalFinland

V/A "Your Reality Is Broken" LP
A compilation of covers, reinterpretations and/or transformations of Contrastate tracks in celebration of their 30th anniversary. The inivitation to participate was limited to a select few artists. Basically if you have followed Contrastate, it is no surprise line-up has Band Of Pain, Genocide Organ, RLW, Troum, Etat D'Urgence... There are couple tracks I don't care for. Little glitchy technology involved, but all in all, very calm and very much Contrastate feel to it. Not even Genocide Organ really mutilate extra dosage of power to their contribution, but rather just additional heavy electronics synth throbbing on the texture of Contrastate track.

I've talked to band about possibly have interview in SI#11. 30 years behind now, could be interesting!
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Bloated Slutbag

The one SRMeixner I'm less inclined to readily embrace is Dictatorship Of The Viewer. Probably because it goes so far against my (initial) expectations of a Contrastate illuminus. But also that it seems thematically designed to resist embrace. Remote, clinical, synthetic electro-drone divided neatly into several short pieces, flowing easily into each other. Over the nineteen course set the unrelenting... throb... conspires to instill a persuasive, discomfited feel of unsettled paranoia.

The atmosphere in the above is reprised to an extent in the RLW collab. Detached, clinical Nursey-ness, brought home via collaged voice, deformed fragments of "German schlager cruelties" and a general sense of, um, sinister whimsy for the wretched. What may pass for "humor" in some quarters. The artwork too strikes as vaguely Nursey. Then there's this exchange quoted on the Monotype site

QuoteRLW (Dec 2010) ...Some weeks ago I did a horrible dj-set for a 75th birthday celebration, including Heino and other German schlager cruelties. it was so terrible! maybe I'll go back to the pieces i used for this event some day. This stuff is awful enough to make another use of it.

SRM (Jan 2011): I have been thinking about your description of German schlager cruelties and how horrible it was and awful enough to do something with. Maybe there is a possible project there?

Perhaps to go down as one of those projects that "had to happen". But a very well-realized one, so I'm glad it did.
And take you for a drag

murderous_vision

I've talked to band about possibly have interview in SI#11. 30 years behind now, could be interesting!
[/quote]

I was thinking this would be a good one...

HONOR_IS_KING!

This is also done on the Agoraphobic Nosebleed release "Altered States of America".
KOUFAR x TERROR CELL UNIT
https://soundcloud.com/crimesofthecrown

PSALM 109

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: HONOR_IS_KING! on February 02, 2018, 09:10:29 PM

This is also done on the Agoraphobic Nosebleed release "Altered States of America".

and both discs of the ANb's "PCP Torpedo" reissue from '05 or '06. Autechre did it several times as well. super fucking annoying in my opinion.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512