MASONNA - appreciation & rarities

Started by SILVUM, June 04, 2013, 08:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Urashima

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on December 11, 2015, 02:04:28 PM
MASONNA "Freak" tape
Coquette mnm 003
Sound is loud, strong and crispy. Dubbed on one side of regular position tape. Tape itself doesn't have any info, but according to discogs, this is from 1995. Quality and style is very similar to Masonna classics of that time. Only reason why this probably wouldn't need to be reissued for large audience, is that it's so similar to other Masonna, but for fanatics, it's guaranteed headfuck of ripping screams, highly distorted noise assaults. Perhaps good thing here is that it is much less cut-up oriented than earlier works, but also not static like some later ones. Perhaps this is what separates it from many albums. Including good longer chunchs of straight forward sessions. Very nice. Of course also lots of cut ups and some droning, almost tranquil feedback drones, but most sticks in my brain the longer pieces.  
I will reissue this tape soon with other tapes released on Coquette.

Johann

Now that's just phenomenal news! Another tape set?

Urashima

Quote from: Johann on September 08, 2017, 05:12:08 AM
I'm going to release tape set or part in tape set and part in vinyl

aububs

Quote from: SILVUM on September 08, 2017, 08:13:29 PM
Quote from: Urashima on September 08, 2017, 09:03:51 AM
Quote from: Johann on September 08, 2017, 05:12:08 AM
I'm going to release tape set or part in tape set and part in vinyl

I know you like black and silver.

lol

PTM Jim

Very excellent news about those reissues.

Urashima

Quote from: SILVUM on September 08, 2017, 08:13:29 PM
I know you like black and silver.  please include color repro as inserts.  Masonna fanatics will care about and want to see as much detail as possible of the unobtainable originals.  Thank you for reissuing these.  I will buy them all.

Masonna will recover the original art wherever possible and I won't touch anything. Only genuine Japanese collage!

THE RITA HN

Was watching old HN VHS tapes last night and forgot I had some Masonna and Rudolf Eb.er live collaboration video footage from Japan.  Insane how you get slapped in the face with the intensity of some of those old 90s shows.

Duncan

Quote from: THE RITA HN on September 10, 2017, 10:36:25 PM
Was watching old HN VHS tapes last night and forgot I had some Masonna and Rudolf Eb.er live collaboration video footage from Japan.  Insane how you get slapped in the face with the intensity of some of those old 90s shows.

Sounds great. 

For those in possession of such things: what do you think the chances are of tapes like that ever making it to a digital/dvd release somewhen?  I bet the potential audience would be pretty big for a venture like this and not just for people like me that didn't get into noise til the 2000's and entirely missed the boat on stuff like that.

I can understand the many decent arguments about artistic property and so on and maybe even a bit less the maniacal underground mentality of the privileged/privy few keeping it hidden but I think something great could be done with such material, mostly in the name of properly archiving and displaying all that classic work.

acsenger

I just listened to Frequency L.S.D. twice in a row. I last heard it so long ago that I forgot how goddamn awesome it is. Granted, it was one of my first noise CDs, so it made a special impression, but after all those years I still remembered a lot of the memorable parts, of which there are quite a few. It's a well-crafted, exciting and dynamic psychedelic noise album.

I'm not that crazy about the sample from his new Controlled Death album, but I might get it eventually.