MASONNA - appreciation & rarities

Started by SILVUM, June 04, 2013, 08:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SILVUM

KL-106

What are the chances that all the accetates are worn down to point of unlistenability at this point? They would be nice as collector's items though.

cipher chris

I know someone who had, but sold (not to me), one of the ltd. to 10 acetates.  As I recall he put in a general order for stuff, and it was one of the things he got back.

I have that same tape, and stupidly, stupidly, didn't get that Noisextra CD/bonus tape when I saw it at MSBR recs.  Was intending to go back but as I recall Chris Goudreau snapped it up.

FreakAnimalFinland

I changed topic name a bit, since seems better to continue this, than start new topic of Masonna appreciation.
I used to be HUGE Masonna fan for long time. It was mindblowing to hear for the first time albums like "Noskl In Ana - Rare Tracks Collection", "Madamoiselle Anne Sanglante Ou Notre Nymphomanie Auréolé" and "Shinsen Na Clitoris". Not to mention splits too. After this, things felt like repeating itself or even going to wrong direction. There was some years I didn't even listen Masonna as it felt like momentum was gone.
Now that Cold Spring released "Spectrum Ripper" LP+CD set, finally listening Masonna again. Spectrum Ripper felt back then to be good album, but not as good as ones first experienced. But damn, now listening LP, it's like return to old days and pure ripping energy and personality of Masonna can't be denied. He was (is?) master of his craft and certainly when some of the oldies and rarities are hard or expensive to find, one can thank Cold Spring for decision of doing this re-issue. I just hope LP and CD would have been separately done.

Albums what I don't have, are "Shock Rock" (2002) and "Freak-out Electrolyze" (1997). Any comments on those?
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

ImpulsyStetoskopu

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on July 26, 2014, 12:30:20 PM
Albums what I don't have, are "Shock Rock" (2002)

I have got this one. It is in old, good style based on pure noise, no psychodelia elements... as far as I remember well.

F_c_O

Masonna is probably the project that got me into noise, mainly through the live videos. As a kid, it was mind blowing to see someone doing something like this and people actually enjoying it. Nowadays I dont listen to him as much as I used to be still really important project for me.

Dr Alex

I wanted to buy Ultimate Collection Vol. 1 and 2 few years ago but they are goddamn expensive...
Is this cds are limited or...? Don't know why it's so expensive.

Bloated Slutbag

Masonna was, without question, the least favorite of my Japanese noise heroes. For any number of reasons. Still, a hero is a hero and can do no wrong.  I certainly never had any issues with any apparent direction he was taking. The classic psychedelia elements neither added to, nor took away from, the overall impact of the work. It's still Masonna, and Masonna sounds like Masonna.

Freak-out Electrolyze I remember as being among the more straight-ahead, even staid, Masonna. And partaking of a flatter sound I tend to associate with Hyper Chaotic. Neither of these -  Freak-out, Hyper Chaotic - is nearly as hyper chaotic as, say, Spectrum Ripper. Whether this is good or bad I suppose depends on what you need from your Masonna. For me, it's all equally worthy of consumption.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

Otomo_Hava

His collaborations with Rudolf Eb.er (especially Clitoris Projectile Pump Action) are worth hearing too.

THE RITA HN

I always liked those repetitive electronic chimes / bells he occasionally fit in between tracks (can't remember which album(s) exactly - maybe Passion of Rubbers(?) which I traded to a fanatic years ago).  Really meditative and clarity defining, but at the same time a strange parallel to his heavy electronic cutting.  A lot like the synth maneuvering that Atrax Morgue does between some tracks with repetitive almost calming elements that 'ground' the listener.  

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: THE RITA HN on July 29, 2014, 10:27:35 AM
I always liked those repetitive electronic chimes / bells he occasionally fit in between tracks (can't remember which album(s) exactly - maybe Passion of Rubbers(?) which I traded to a fanatic years ago).  Really meditative and clarity defining, but at the same time a strange parallel to his heavy electronic cutting.  A lot like the synth maneuvering that Atrax Morgue does between some tracks with repetitive almost calming elements that 'ground' the listener.  

Agreed. That's what makes Frequency L.S.D. my favorite work by him, all the chimey synths at in the second half. Really dig Noskl In Ana and Shock Rock as well. And the big mash up of live stuff on the Good Alchemy Video DVD/VHS is really awesome.

Masonna was the second noise artist I ever heard, but of all the Japanese legends, I've probably heard the least amount of material from him. I saw Masonna in 2009 for Noise May Day at Namba BEARS. He played for maybe 45 seconds and I got smashed with the mic stand 'cause I was right up front. Thankfully he wasn't the only performer that night, but it was still awesome to see him.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

2pf cell

saw him with pan*sonic (!) at the garage in london, maybe 1999?
he played for about two minutes as i remember.
i think sotos was prowling the audience in a raincoat.
fucking amazing.

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: GRKZGL on July 30, 2014, 09:51:47 PM
Also have an official Masonna candy tin/shaker (with candy inside), which was given away at Noise Mayday 2007.

I have one of those as well. A gift from a Japanese friend.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

FreakAnimalFinland

MASONNA "Freak" tape
Coquette mnm 003
Today was checking my noise tape piles what to listen and in giant pile of "unlistened items" my eye caught shining golden sleeve with small square piece of photo attached to it. Looking closer to red-print on black paper "seal" what was stapled over golden bag, I noticed that this is actually old Masonna tape I bought years ago from Japanese shop. Had forgetten about it completely, and for quite amazement it appears to be ltd 36 copies only! So I guess it fits to this Masonna rarities topic.
Sound is loud, strong and crispy. Dubbed on one side of regular position tape. Tape itself doesn't have any info, but according to discogs, this is from 1995. Quality and style is very similar to Masonna classics of that time. Only reason why this probably wouldn't need to be reissued for large audience, is that it's so similar to other Masonna, but for fanatics, it's guaranteed headfuck of ripping screams, highly distorted noise assaults. Perhaps good thing here is that it is much less cut-up oriented than earlier works, but also not static like some later ones. Perhaps this is what separates it from many albums. Including good longer chunchs of straight forward sessions. Very nice. Of course also lots of cut ups and some droning, almost tranquil feedback drones, but most sticks in my brain the longer pieces.  
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Deadpriest

I own most of his albums etc and I think I like Inner Mind Mystique best (my first taste of noise that wasn't Merzbow, even having heard Venereology it was still a very intense experience . I was hit by a car weeks later, I'd only listened to it a few times before that and when I properly came around I went onto Frequency LSD which is still a very trippy experience for me)

Maso is also begining a new project called Controlled Death!! Which I know nothing about apart from it has a more synthy film score quality and's a bit less extreme (Maso must be in his mid 50s by now, so probably no more falling about the place).
My book of poetry: http://www.histergrant.com/