Noise And The Beat

Started by Andrew McIntosh, May 31, 2013, 04:34:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeno Marx

Severance (pre-Winterkalte) reminds me of Clock DVA, and I'm a big Clock DVA fan.  *not related to the style of this thread, but for anyone interested in Winterkalte.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Andrew McIntosh

Quote from: david lloyd jones on November 21, 2017, 05:55:32 PM
Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on November 20, 2017, 03:03:28 AM
How many of these projects being mentioned aren't just distorted versions of EDM or hip hop or other conventional beat orientated genres? I'm being cynical but when I first asked about this I had in mind more experimental and less conventional examples of rhythm in/with noise. Seeing Bloody Fist mentioned, for example, doesn't inspire confidence.

Some of that Ant-Zen material is good, though.

going back to your initial post on thread, i see more in common with the '30 years of excess ' box from some of the dance hardcore mentioned than the beat driven 'industrial'
the aggression of what i listened to, equalled other genres-probably stimulant driven by producers and consumers.
several events dropped in whitehouse and merzbow into the mix. how good releases were is not necessarily the same asasking if they were distortion led examples of conventional genres or noise wedded to 'conventional' idioms, or both.

Maybe, but I'm still interested in the use of rhythm in less disco mode and more anything else. Off the top of my head it's easy to cite early Test Department, Einstürze Neubauten, the more grave and strident beats of Cold Meat Industry projects, and so on and so on. But all that less conventional stuff seems to have been lost in Boogie Wonderland now. It seems the done thing is to adopt beats from more dance oriented genres than invent different ones. Disco has had its revenge.
Shikata ga nai.

Zeno Marx

Quote from: collapsedhole on November 17, 2017, 05:59:51 AM
regarding Morgenstern, i have to say i like 'Zyklen' best. more emotional than other works, imo.
This is a great album, which should really be of no surprise that they had this in them.  Other than associations, I feel it is out of place in such a thread.  Out of bounds, comparatively.  If you're into death industrial or dark ambient, but not into most of the other stuff mentioned in this thread, you should probably check out Zyklen.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

practical life

i dont think its cynical, andrew. this has always been such a sticking point for so many projects i think i'd like from the outset but once i get to the actual listening the 'beat' aspect does all the work in a way that takes me completely out of it. when it gets into the marching/martial/foot/body aspect of a rhythm i just feel like taking a nap. i think pulses and almost ghostly metered sounds are right in the sweet spot. i think of it as having a pulse or a quiet heart beat versus clapping your hands and stomping your feet around. it's cool when the noise is moving but not signalling where its going and where its going to end up..

Andrew McIntosh

I don't make a point of seeking out much rhythm/beat-orientated material but within the Industrial/etc sphere I suppose I expect something more than just copying whatever's hip at the time. Even working with meters that are not necessarily 4/4. But it seems that regressing to the means in this case means just relying on the more usual examples of trad. electronic dance music. It's a depressing cliche that many Industrialists end up posing in the clerb.

It's also probably a bit too much me demanding more "experimentation", though. Industrial doesn't necessarily have to be constantly different and unique.

I also like the sound and idea of "pulses and ghostly metered sounds", they can work really well. It's down to the composition, then.
Shikata ga nai.

Deadpriest

Is everyone forgetting about Merzbeat? (by none other than Merzbow!!) somewhat quiet and even a little melodic in parts but pretty unique sounding (reminds me of Sha Mo 3000) listenable to none the less (if you want to go in the opposite direction to Nasenbluten).
My book of poetry: http://www.histergrant.com/

Zeno Marx

I'm of mind that Converter's Blast Furnace would normally be outside my realm of interest, but it's really good.  To those who recommended it, thanks.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Kayandah

Was listening to Theologian double cd on malignant and had forgotten how beat driven it is, not in a bad way but prominent enough

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: Zeno Marx on December 18, 2017, 01:35:02 AM
I'm of mind that Converter's Blast Furnace would normally be outside my realm of interest, but it's really good.  To those who recommended it, thanks.

It's funny Blast Furnace was my intro to Converter back in '06. I love that album and all of the stuff it got me into down the line, but of Converter's discography it's become my least favorite. Now it's got awesome hit tracks (Flower, Resolution, Unreal) but I like the largely slow moving nature of Shock Front more and the more organic sound of Exit Ritual more. But it is all good! Ant-Zen has a lot of baggage attached to it but there are amazing release on the label. As a lover of IDM and some very specific breakcore, I also love the Hymen sublabel. The Xanopticon and Gridlock releases on it easily justify its existence alone.

And as for Morgenstern I really recommend the slick sounds of Two Different Faces from 2005 and most of the tracks on the 3 way collab with Converter and Asche (In Hell, Monster, and Another Monster suck).
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Zeno Marx

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on December 24, 2017, 07:07:51 AM
It's funny Blast Furnace was my intro to Converter back in '06. I love that album and all of the stuff it got me into down the line, but of Converter's discography it's become my least favorite. Now it's got awesome hit tracks (Flower, Resolution, Unreal) but I like the largely slow moving nature of Shock Front more and the more organic sound of Exit Ritual more. But it is all good!
Shock Front proved to be a solid listen.  A great feel for the flow of a full-length, ala early Dissecting Table.  Thanks again.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Decrepitude

It's funny Blast Furnace was my intro to Converter back in '06. I love that album and all of the stuff it got me into down the line, but of Converter's discography it's become my least favorite. Now it's got awesome hit tracks (Flower, Resolution, Unreal) but I like the largely slow moving nature of Shock Front more and the more organic sound of Exit Ritual more.
I checked out Exit Ritual by your recommendation and it's very good. I really like that a lot of the beats aren't basic drum machine sounds necessarily.

andy vomit

The Xanopticon and Gridlock releases on it easily justify its existence alone.

100%.

xanopticon was (is?) a fucking monster live, too.
thevomitarsonist.wordpress.com
danversstaterecordings.blogspot.com

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: Decrepitude on January 17, 2018, 10:27:37 AM

It's funny Blast Furnace was my intro to Converter back in '06. I love that album and all of the stuff it got me into down the line, but of Converter's discography it's become my least favorite. Now it's got awesome hit tracks (Flower, Resolution, Unreal) but I like the largely slow moving nature of Shock Front more and the more organic sound of Exit Ritual more.
I checked out Exit Ritual by your recommendation and it's very good. I really like that a lot of the beats aren't basic drum machine sounds necessarily.

Yeah it's really something different. I absolutely love that album. I named my radio show in college "Exit Ritual" in honor of it. How I miss the days of having a huge mixing board to mix the sounds of Jarl, Converter and Genocide Organ together with a dash of techno or glitch...

Quote from: andy vomit on January 19, 2018, 09:07:14 PM
The Xanopticon and Gridlock releases on it easily justify its existence alone.

100%.

xanopticon was (is?) a fucking monster live, too.

He still plays as far as I know, just not much on the east coast. I think he's based in San Francisco now. I saw him at a SuperCollider event in Philly a couple of years ago and it was fucking incredible. an hour plus of ever building electronics. even better then when Autechre played live for the "Exai" tour around the same time.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Deadpriest

My book of poetry: http://www.histergrant.com/

Soloman Tump

I have been listening to a lot of Alberich, who releases through Hospital Productions.
His take on noise heavily relies on rhythm and repetition, with heavily distorted / clipped "beats" thrown into the mix.
A new album is due this year - "Quantized Angel"