Noise And The Beat

Started by Andrew McIntosh, May 31, 2013, 04:34:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cosmonaut

On the harsher side, eisengrau (and later Muernau) which had a bunch of records on Hands side label 220n, is my favourite of the "power noise" era. Early 2000s Orphx was also very good (esp the tracks in the 2000 hands compilation).

andy vomit

thevomitarsonist.wordpress.com
danversstaterecordings.blogspot.com

collapsedhole

favorite albums of that era for me:

imminent starvation / imminent - anything. saw him live once and he played an hour of no known released tracks, except for Tentack (as an encore, of course, collab w. iszoloscope actually) and they were all incredible. felt like a noisier aphex twin.

synapscape - so what - definitely they're best moment to me. the monokrom project was great too, even noisier.

winterkalte - drum 'n noise - pretty much says it all.

sonar - dislocation 10" / overdose simulation 2x-cd - a less complex and more blunt winterkalte perhaps...

still pissed i sold my eisengrau lp boxsets, if i remember correct a lot of harsh feedback with those beats. dkf / thorax lp on ant-zen is pretty rough noise and comes to mind similar to that stuff.

the Hymen sub-label of ant-zen released a lot of really great records, some on the noise side, but really more IDM i guess.. starts blurring the line here.

regarding Morgenstern, i have to say i like 'Zyklen' best. more emotional than other works, imo.

regarding vromb: jeux de terre, definitely his best. really a quite unique sound. really glad it was re-released on 2x-lp, and really cheap.

regarding hypnoskull: i like the first cd on ant-zen, but i think really more interesting to dig into is the earliest stuff on all those old tape labels.

cantle

Quote from: david lloyd jones on November 16, 2017, 10:21:54 PM
my experiences in the squat/underground techno scene of the 1990's reminds me of many,  many
records that involve beats (180 plus bpm with many sounds not out of place on a merzbow/macronympha release.
other releases had samples of violent films that  any noise fan would love.

could be prompted to list stuff

This is a prompt- thanks.

monotome

There is little that tops Sulphuric Saliva - Noisetracks, although Sonar and Imminent Starvation are also very good.

Soloman Tump

Quote from: ANDROPHILIA on November 17, 2017, 12:25:41 AM

Morgenstern - Cold

beast album

Just had a quick listen through on bandcamp, sounds heavy indeed. My wishlist keeps on growing.

tilde44

Also Patrick Stevens' (Hypnoskull) solo side project after he left Sonar -- Sona Eact(R).  Debut CD's title says it all:  HARD INDUSTRIAL LOOP CHECK

david lloyd jones

Quote from: cantle on November 17, 2017, 08:21:11 AM
my experiences in the squat/underground techno scene of the 1990's reminds me of many,  many
records that involve beats (180 plus bpm with many sounds not out of place on a merzbow/macronympha release.

labels include praxis from uk, drop bass network in usa as well as industrial strength.
europe gabe explore toi, fischkopf, spiral tribe and many, many more.
even australia had bloody fist.

cantle

Zeno Marx

Quote from: tilde44 on November 17, 2017, 09:40:45 PM
Also Patrick Stevens' (Hypnoskull) solo side project after he left Sonar -- Sona Eact(R).  Debut CD's title says it all:  HARD INDUSTRIAL LOOP CHECK
There's something about the HILC album that brings me to Muslimgauze.  I don't consider Jones' work to be an immediate reference point when I listen to this type of music, either.  I don't associate the two at all, though I can see how someone could.  But something is shared that I'm hearing.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

totalblack

Quote from: david lloyd jones on November 18, 2017, 08:35:38 PM
Quote from: cantle on November 17, 2017, 08:21:11 AM

labels include praxis from uk, drop bass network in usa as well as industrial strength.
europe gabe explore toi, fischkopf, spiral tribe and many, many more.
even australia had bloody fist.

Will second Bloody Fist. Nasenbluten is really insane\great shit

Andrew McIntosh

How many of these projects being mentioned aren't just distorted versions of EDM or hip hop or other conventional beat orientated genres? I'm being cynical but when I first asked about this I had in mind more experimental and less conventional examples of rhythm in/with noise. Seeing Bloody Fist mentioned, for example, doesn't inspire confidence.

Some of that Ant-Zen material is good, though.
Shikata ga nai.

Kayandah

Quote from: Zeno Marx on November 16, 2017, 08:57:17 PM
andy vomit and Kayandah, could you throw some specific titles at me?  thanks.  some names there I've never seen.

Others have pretty much answered,

Asche - Distorted disco
Morgenstern - Cold
Izsoloscope - Au Seuil Du Neant

I didn't mentioned them before as they aren't noise per se but this Morn Omina are a favorite, more tribal electronic though the debut came out on Live Bait. The Drake Equation ep is quite noisy by their standards

One Ant-Zen obscurity is Nin Kuji - Sayanora. Not sure if this was an actual project or anonymous side project but the album is worth tracking down

david lloyd jones

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on November 20, 2017, 03:03:28 AM
How many of these projects being mentioned aren't just distorted versions of EDM or hip hop or other conventional beat orientated genres? I'm being cynical but when I first asked about this I had in mind more experimental and less conventional examples of rhythm in/with noise. Seeing Bloody Fist mentioned, for example, doesn't inspire confidence.

Some of that Ant-Zen material is good, though.

going back to your initial post on thread, i see more in common with the '30 years of excess ' box from some of the dance hardcore mentioned than the beat driven 'industrial'
the aggression of what i listened to, equalled other genres-probably stimulant driven by producers and consumers.
several events dropped in whitehouse and merzbow into the mix. how good releases were is not necessarily the same asasking if they were distortion led examples of conventional genres or noise wedded to 'conventional' idioms, or both.

totalblack

Also will mention for stuff that is really noisy atonal-techno check out Iesope Drift in particular, although most of the E-Com \ Seico Corp material is good.

And it hasn't been mentioned so far (I don't think) but early Panasonic \ Mika Vaino is a good example of minimal experimental beat driven music. Particularly the Osasto EP