sound of engine & industrial mechanisms

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, May 04, 2010, 08:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

message from Vivenza topic:

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on February 14, 2010, 09:09:01 PM
This makes me think about what how far goes the connection of industrial music vs. simply the "industrial sound" available? I mean, there are a lot of recordings, what never meant to be "music" as such (at least I believe), but they serve very special fanatics who like to listen for example sound of certain trains.
For example, when you walk to NEdS industrial/noise shop in Tokyo, you see photo of old steam engine train framed among the records. And then next thing when you casually browse 2nd hand vinyls of Konstruktivists, Orchestra of Skin & Bone and such, you suddenly have in your hand some, possibly BBC production of  XXXX model steam engine train driving in rain and thunder. And few other less specific train sound vinyl albums. It kind of amazes me, that there has been need of mass production of gatefold double LP of specific train model, and that it happens in thunder. I was told the owner of shop is enthusiast of such things. During my life I have met couple train fanatics. They go to spot these things in real life, investigate the models, engines, and whatever. And never asked, but I'm sure they like to listen the sound of engines.
In art section of recommended sites, there is a link to german industrial photography site where are mp3 files of various engines. Nothing is assembled to sound as art. It is merely the existing sound, untreated and raw, to be heard.
While Vivenza even at his most conceptual mode might try to be "just sound of machines", there is always the artistic touch in it, with effects and adjustment. I do wonder about level of enthusiasm for pure unaltered and effect free industrial sound. Machines and engines as they are, without layering unless machines happen to operate in same space.
I do regret I didn't use my invitation of Imatra steel factories when I had opportunity to go record it. I also regret I didn't have my portable recorder when catched NYC sky scraper construction field in full action. It was like "vivenza" happening in massive scale. You didn't need effects or composition. Hundreds of guys with powertools, trucks, huge steel elements, wires, hammers, whatever.. in full force create colossal sound, what would have been simply album worthy to publish if properly captured. I do think that there is most certainly problem to sell just... hmmm "happening". Something which isn't artists work. Except pushing the "rec" button.

Well, I guess this whole thing would warrant topic of its own, but those who doubt about the scale of recordings, check this:
http://www.steamindex.com/library/handford.htm

Well, I bought one of train recordings. It's a Japanese Victory company release from 1968. And damn it was good! Sound is pretty dirty, but very clear in detail nevertheless. Recordings focus on steam engine train. Several tracks on both sides, which combines different sounds. Sometimes you'll just heard the rumbling engine. Hissing steam, clatter of various metal objects. Sometimes natural sounds of thunder or wind. Sometimes distant singing of working men building train tracks. Most often the colossal siren of trains. Considering the age of recording, they must have gone through serious efforts to get it sound this good. Some artistic vision about what type of sounds to capture. There is even moment of the ancient japanese traditional music being played while train goes on distance, slowly approaching and overriding the music (which is just obscure percussions and nearly random sounding whistle) and then disappearing to horizon. With proper amplification and speakers that are able to produce low bass frequencies, few moments of the LP are really heavy. Recording has managed to capture the feeling of pressure of tons and tons of steel and steam. Intense. Really intense! Now I just really regret I didn't grab all those LP's what I had a chance! Pure industrial music!
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

MT

Sounds really interesting. I wonder what kind of equipment they have used back then, placing microphones etc. But what really blows my mind is the exact same thing you mentioned in the quote that they actually have recorded these and made them all the way to well produced vinyls. I am sure they also offer some great source material! I really need to do some searching, I'd love to hear some of these works in the full lenght. It is really cool they have the sounds from passing by villages etc, you can really close your eyes and be one with the journey I guess.

Mattias G

Interesting! What was on the other records you did´t by?

Human Larvae

I bought a vinyl similar to this one (must be a different edition) in Belgium, also very nice for sound samples. I think the quality wasn't that bad either. I always keep my eyes open for vinyls of this kind when I'm at car boot sales, etc.

FreakAnimalFinland

All the other LP's were also Japanese LP's. Decision was based simply on packaging. This was gatefold, with inserts, including photos of locations/trains/engines. There is no english text is any of these.
I'm not surpriced about good quality of late 60's recordings in some ways, because music / studio recordings of the time of course are often supreme compared to standards of today. But I'm impressed by the task what it must have been to make it, since not talking of easily portable DAT, harddrive recorders etc. with built in mic's.

This differs from the "sound effect" albums, because it is clearly not just sound effect. One can found those movie/radioplay backing effect LP's and CD's basically anywhere. Sounds exists as pieces of documents of sound & location, not for purpose to be used anywhere else (although they can be)?  Especially in Japan, there seems to be lots of train enthusiasts. You find several train magazines in shops. I'm sure some of readers prefer to listen this kind of stuff.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

kettu

Quote from: MT on May 04, 2010, 09:30:43 PM
Sounds really interesting. I wonder what kind of equipment they have used back then, placing microphones etc.

guestimation would be that they used similar gear as the lomaxes when they did fieldrecordings of those old crusty blues farts way back when. ive seen pictures of the setup. it could fit in to the trunk of a car. speaking of those things, I believe  folkways records has lps of at least junkyards and I could imagine factories as well but I cant remember for sure. unless your ridgid cunts and are ready to timetravel a little bit theres cool works songs on the discography as well. basically the same thing.

I get to go in actual machine shops and factories in a little while to make some  recordings, yay for me.

tisbor

QuoteEspecially in Japan, there seems to be lots of train enthusiasts.

i remember Usuda from Neds Records playing videos of steam trains in his shop in Tokyo last year ! good times

heretogo

I would love to get my hands on stuff like this. As long as it's good, long recordings and not some short snippets meant as sound effects (like Mikko said earlier). Indeed, Folkways has several albums worth of trains and other location recordings, for example

This next one is a classic, I've often been tempted to order it. Perhaps this thread will serve as encouragement to do it finally:

http://www.ashinternational.com/editions/ash_49_santa_pod.html

Strömkarlen

Touch released a CD of recordings from a drag racing track called Santa Pod. Pretty nice noise as I recall it.

Andrew McIntosh

I recall hearing on the radio one time that when The Beatles came to Melbourne that the concert was recorded for a live album release. Apparently the continuous sound of screaming teenage girls was so loud it drowned out the band's playing in the subsequent recordings. As it happened, the recording was used, with studio versions of the songs dubbed over it. I would dearly love to have the original live recording; imagine an hour's worth of screaming teenage girls.
Shikata ga nai.

andy vomit

i have this

really great LP, lots of industrial/steam/machine sounds.  the best part is that each track is a lock groove.  i've sampled many bits of the record for my own material. 
thevomitarsonist.wordpress.com
danversstaterecordings.blogspot.com

THE RITA HN

My dad has been the planning process lately on finally building his own steam train.  The rideable miniatures are a crazy subculture of builders.  You have to have a license and boiler inspections every year.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oFy1nabI1g

Not for my 'promotion', but for reference; nothing compares to doing it live with your favourite engine and a proper PA:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEqv4jpL18I&feature=related

But... nitro dragster races are still truly the epitome.  I have been fortunate enough to record raw sources of them from the engine pits in the past.  You literally fall to your knees from the sound which would be very hard to mimic via any recording and even a massive PA.

nyarluna

I love the sounds of steam engines,nitro dragsters, pneumatics, 2 stroke engines, jackhammers, shredders ect, all of which are  fantastic sounds.

Would be a great series to have specific records of actual industrial sounds with field notes covering sound sources and operations of recording...

Really partial to the shredders:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qedfz8nTHO8&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSNDop9thlE&feature=related

THE RITA HN

hilarious; it was still two stroke engines, but i managed to accidently post above a tom green live chainsaw antic link instead of the live DIRT BIKE footage. 
above post is now fixed for those interested.

Zeno Marx

Good ol' State Fairs are great for the tractor pulls.  The jet turbines, giant old modified blocks, and the diesels each have something special to offer.  The way a diesel can roar, then hit a sweet spot where it literally goes silent, and then charge into a high-pitched whistle...weird and cool.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.