Noise Suggestions on Spotify...?

Started by L.Ø.G.R., May 04, 2013, 07:37:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Otomo_Hava

Cynical me: Another "hip" way of listening to (corrupted?) music for free and/or low price only? How fascinating!

scumwalski

Well that's a pretty limited perception but I'm also wondering what makes a piece of software 'hip'. Are there any criteria a certain app has to meet in order to qualify as such? It's just a program, nothing more. Back in the late 90s and early 00s everyone I knew used Winamp, was it also hip (ie. fashionable/trendy)? And what about WinRar? Are there any peer groups in the entire world which require you to use Spotify in order to fit in?

It's pretty obvious that digital media in no way compares to physical albums but that shouldn't be the case.
Sorry but I perceive such opinions as coming from a very narrow perspective.

Marko-V

Listened to the latest Control album from Spotify previously. It must have been some lousy convert thing or whatever but it did not sound quite right. I haven't got the cd release (if I had... why bother listening it from Spotify anyway) so I cannot compare them. Bandwiths and other technical issues should be no problem (oh yes, I am the paying customer... foolish me), but I do have a gut feeling that Spotify is not necessarily the best option for listening to noise at all.

acsenger

Even if you're a subscriber, the streaming quality is only 320 kbps. I've also encountered technical issues at times with Spotify (dropouts, some tracks wouldn't play), so quality-wise it's far from listening to a physical format. What it's great for though in my opinion is that you can conveniently and instantly discover a lot of new stuff for a ridiculously low monthly fee. If you like something, you can then buy it in a physical format if you want to.

Marko-V

Indeed. For pre-listening purpose it works fine. But it is still funny that some bars, clubs and dj's use Spotify or some other online service for music playing purpose. Well, in crowded bar you can't tell the difference or be interested in sound quality at all. Those drop outs you mentioned are really pain in the ass. I get them every now and then when listening via mobile phone. OK, this went out of topic a little bit but I am still happy to see surprisingly much noise oriented stuff in Spotify.

impulse manslaughter

Got this installed 2 years ago but 9/10 things that i wanted to hear weren't there. I'll stick to my vinyl/cd's..

Ernpe

Plenty of Posh Isolation releases has been uploaded to Spotify. Not many rarities but decent amount of their bigger releases. Search label:"posh isolation".
Noise & other underground reviews in Finnish: http://box-is-record.tumblr.com/

sbtdoh

I truly don't understand these things? I would think anyone on here would have and extensive music collection of all formats. I take my own control off music over a life-less computer guessing any day
www.shroudedrecordings.blogspot.com    -rooted in dirge & spite- all cassette tape label and zine haus

urall

Quote from: sbtdoh on May 23, 2015, 07:47:46 AM
I truly don't understand these things? I would think anyone on here would have and extensive music collection of all formats. I take my own control off music over a life-less computer guessing any day

Well, i don't use Spotify, but i do listen to music on my laptop a lot ...i can't take my tapes,vinyl to work.

sbtdoh

Quote from: urall on May 23, 2015, 10:42:48 AM
Quote from: sbtdoh on May 23, 2015, 07:47:46 AM

Well, i don't use Spotify, but i do listen to music on my laptop a lot ...i can't take my tapes,vinyl to work.

Exactly my point. I get to listen to headphones at work. I have taken my walkman and a bag of tapes. but it is far easier just to load some music on a devise that carries piles digital music I have. I get to check out neglected stuff that I wouldn't always play at home that way. Plus that is how I listen to most cds. I burn them in and take with me.
I'm very simple here. not looking for arguing.>>> I think I have the misconception most folks into music(s) on this forum all have piles of music at home.
my bad.
to each his own. hey I am glad the artists (I hope) are getting little bits of money from this. Maybe enough to replace a broken pedal. or whatever.
I'm all for listening. Everyone take care. this shit hole world tries to segregate us.  fuck that. support each other and don't be arrogant.   I am happy for every artist that gets the recognition to be on one of these types of 'services' ...truly.
www.shroudedrecordings.blogspot.com    -rooted in dirge & spite- all cassette tape label and zine haus

Ernpe

Spotify costs 5€ per month. That is ok price for being able to listen a lots of music while at work. I don't have time to rip my records to mp3's nor time to seek blogs through. Spotify does not have everything there, but enough for 8 hours a day. Rest I'll listen at home.
Noise & other underground reviews in Finnish: http://box-is-record.tumblr.com/

XXX

figured this is a topic worth reexamining. had an account for a little over a year now. Tesco, Hospital & Cold Spring offer many of their albums/comps. Muslimgauze has healthy selection of discography. the ethno-ambient topic has also yielded some amazing finds. what else am i missing?

props to this thread for teaching me the label:"search" feature. (ie label:"Hospital Productions" in search bar.)

holy ghost

I don't have an account but my wife has a premium and I'm constantly fucking her algorithm by previewing records I'm debating buying and there's a pretty good selection of stuff on there.

I could just as easily use bandcamp to trial stuff but I have that google home audio thing and can blast stuff through my stereo, in my kitchen, etc. I've already hit the new Puce Mary a few times, there's a shockingly large selection of Iron Lung Records releases including that Mutant Video LP I like so much and have already bought, however I don't usually spent my time searching for obscurities, I typically go for whatever mood I'm in. Most of the time that's 70's Genesis when I'm too lazy to flip an LP....