Consumer Electronics

Started by HongKongGoolagong, April 21, 2013, 03:47:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leewar

It hardly sounds like ace of base, but yeah i like that idea, infact id love to do a track with Stock/Aitken/Waterman, ultra clean cheesy synths etc etc...with 'interesting' lyrics.

What a great combination....but what do i know?

Baglady

Quote from: bitewerksMTB on April 20, 2014, 11:25:02 PM
Who is Russell Haswell? The name looks familiar.

He's a... guy, hah.. Released some stuff on the swedish label Ideal, did a great job mastering a Kevin Drumm recording. Don't know much more than that.

STREETMEAT

didnt best do a techno lp a long time ago? some times it get boring standing still and you just have to move...

Russell Haswell has done stuff with merzbow and has a release off ideal

HongKongGoolagong

There are psychological games going on in Philip's work and methods of presentation to say the very least. That clip didn't do much for me musically at all but remember he's made techno-indie-rap, prog-influenced stuff and a heavy metal album without drums in the past as well as all the noisy CE stuff. The drooling scrapbook-licking nipple-tweaking park flasher stage act of a year or two ago had I think quite a lot to do with fucking with the audience's preconceptions and providing a parody of his public image.

The album is out by summer via Dirter as a double vinyl set and I'm told by someone who's heard the master that it sounds stunning.

F_c_O

camera phone recording is no way to judge the music properly but despite that this feels like generic techno with best's vocals. Maybe in some strange way the upcoming material proves to be good? Won't be holding my breath though.

Duncan

Quote from: HongKongGoolagong on April 21, 2014, 08:09:57 AM
prog-influenced stuff

What stuff would this be? I'd love to hear that. Outrageous lack of prog within industrial in general.

I've heard stories of some unreleased or under the radar material which is flat out new order style thump with Phil's clean singing over the top. Also pretty desperate to hear that.

FreakAnimalFinland

I saw / heard one electro 12" of his at place of one UK guy. I think cover didn't make it very clear it was Best's project, but still quite simple indication he certainly did some sort of electro music before it was "trendy" within scene. Not much to say about live clip. I'll wait for the album.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

HongKongGoolagong

Quote from: Duncan on April 21, 2014, 01:27:46 PM
Quote from: HongKongGoolagong on April 21, 2014, 08:09:57 AM
prog-influenced stuff

What stuff would this be? I'd love to hear that. Outrageous lack of prog within industrial in general.

I've heard stories of some unreleased or under the radar material which is flat out new order style thump with Phil's clean singing over the top. Also pretty desperate to hear that.

The 'prog' I was thinking of is Ramleh's Be Careful What You Wish For era on which high concept ruled and his Yamaha synth was high in the mix - one of their long pieces from that time Anaheim '73 is named after an ELP bootleg.

A lot of people want to hear the full album of Worried Well material but the very rare 12" which I have is a straight-up and angst-ridden New Order homage and it's really not that interesting unless you know who made it.

HongKongGoolagong

I've lived with Estuary English for a couple of weeks now (Dirter Productions DPROMDLP108 2 X 12" with CD, soon) and should maybe give some thoughts. The music is very varied throughout. The opening track Teknon is a kind of anti-music of seemingly random synth blurts which is a shock to the ears. Co-Opted By Cunts does appear in the 'disco' version but sounds much better than that youtube clip -  it's like a cross between TG and Digital Hardcore with some squelchy frequencies - that's the only track remotely like dance music. Come Clean is a remake of Cockpit from the previous CE album but now buried under sheets of distortion and vile noise. Affirmation starts like a minimal version of Hamburger Lady and has a shocking twenty seconds where the synths almost but not quite become a melody before it deteriorates into hiss and squalls as an especially vitriolic lyric full of cranky put-downs gets ranted. Air Lock is simply a thirty second spoken poem about death/rebirth with possible religious overtones - I've spotted a few Biblical references in the lyrics but don't worry, this isn't a Christian album any more than it's a Techno album - it's definitely Noise, and it's much closer to Whitehouse's output from their last ten years than it is to Cut Hands. There are some distinctly WHesque instant classic nasty phrases - like a disgusted sounding "rotten English booze tits" from the title track.

Standout track for me now is Sex Offender Boyfriend. Some distant beats mixed very oddly with electronic groans with a completely psychotic vocal delivery, tearing his throat apart as a three-part story unfolds - first section very enigmatic and mysterious and ends with "this gift I give you, don't lose it" , then the narrator is taking some photos and getting someone to pose, and the final part has a pervert with bin-liners over his windows which have been put through apparently looking at the pictures? "You weren't here, you didn't fucking lose it". Weird and unsettling. The lyric sheet is very long and obviously has had a lot of work put into it. I can spot things I remember from Philip's blog but now re-ordered unfamiliarly. I can spot a Sinead O'Connor quote from one of her public meltdowns and at least one William Blake reference. But lots of this writing, I'm not sure what the hell it's about really. It all sounds very worrying and upsetting and there's a lot of swearing. No surprise there then.  

Scat-O-Logy

^Thanks for that description! Sounds awesome!!!

HongKongGoolagong

(INFORMATION REMOVED)

davenpdx

For those who missed the comments in the "Butthurt" thread about the price... "Estuary English" is now available for preorder from Dirter.

The sample track, "Sex Offender Boyfriend", sounds really good to my ears. As HongKongGoolagong has pointed out, intense and somewhat deranged-sounding vocals! Despite the steep price, I am looking forward to this album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtyfjiZMI8w
Mystery Attacks: updates / sounds
Rouge Label: updates

Leewar

Sounds great, vocals sound strangely almost Black metal in places.

FreakAnimalFinland

I must be listening different kind of black metal then...
With vocal track that has very different delivery pace than any music going on. That it has some throaty rawness, still kind of pissed off shouted HC vocals than almost any "BM" style. However, it is of course better than having "BM vocals".

Stuff with more noise over techno beats is better and I'd hope noise would go during vocal parts as well.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Leewar

I was referring to Bm that has the less 'evil' vocals and more the genuine malice (niden div 187 / old Bethlehem etc etc..)