18.5.2013 Vantaa: Umpio, Svartvit, Unclean, Dark Session, Unpeace

Started by Niko, April 11, 2013, 01:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Niko

fch fhft ,hf
www.obscurex.org Noise, Power Electronics, Industrial & Experimental Label.

Niko

Keikalla toivottavasti saatavilla myös uutta Umpio CD:tä:

Umpio - Sauna CD
Reissue of the sold out UMPIO "Sauna" tape, originally a C-30 on ObscureX, with a bonus intro recorded in a 90 degree Celsius sauna situation, and 4 crunchy junk electronix bonus pieces recorded in summer 2011 featuring SS Offizier PPT on radiator electronix, from a session for a tape that never happened. A solid full-length junk noise trip, co-released between ObscureX and Terror.

Niko

Viikko!
Hyvää säätä lupailee, pussikaljat mukaan ja menoks!

Niko

Huomenna!
Musisointi alkaa klo: 20.15. Dark Session vetää ekana.

redswordwhiteplough

FreakAnimalFinland

Came straight from the wedding of friend, therefore dressed properly for event!

Dark Session started, doing basically mix of his "old style" and latest recordings? You can hear from bandcamp his latest recordings with contact mics and junk metals but this gig also remember of the more gloomy electronic tones etc. of older style? With anonymous session member. Nothing ultimately remarkable, but like when I saw Unclean for first time, I thought there guys have really something going on for doing debute gigs of this level. So - more practice, something personal to sound & execution. Even now solid basic finn-noise-pe fusion. Perhaps it was better than I expected!

Unpeace was mix of noisecore and scum punk untightness. Niko is now exceptionally brutal drummer that there basically are two choices: To remain brutal like now, would mean he stands out for being such a barbaric in technique. If learning too much, there is A LONG way to stand out in extreme speed or technical tightness. Something between these two options is pretty uninteresting, and falling as another average guy might not be worth it, hah! So I remmend: Stay clumsy!

Unclean solo set, I liked the clarity of vocals. Kind of Bizarre Uproar meets black metal with clear sharp sound and lots of delay. More variation to screaming style and vocal effects would be nice, though. Sound was much more low rumbling based, but as I pointed out to artists, you could actually hear mp3 playback... I mean, at least I could. With ear plugs on, from bass amplifier rumbling and I went asked him later did I just think it was clearly mp3 or was it. Not that it was terrible, but the vibrating "pixelated" high end sounds of that type always irritate me personally. Same feeling was with Dark Session.. Tape playback, CD, wav file from some player or just plain live noise would be good. Due limitations of two bass combos being the sound system, it flattens down sound a bit, so it requires extra attention from artists to know in advance what will work out and what will turn everybody to be about the same sounding noise rumbling. Decent set, but hearing him few times before, I think if he could mix last song type of rhythmic stuff, piercing turku gig style electronics and something known from tapes - it would bring needed diversity for gig. More mid frequency noise to be gut ripping sound.

Umpio, however, proved again to be master of his craft. Noise would not be personal - very much tied to Umpios character, toying around with his excessive amount of metal junk objects - and not just "neat" large sheets and chains, but all sorts of kitchen tools, mini cymbals, cow-bells, stacked into contact mic'ed small metal "cage". Some type of oscillator providing zapping electronic sounds, DJ mixer for fast cut up's between these sound elements, not being after to cut the song short, operate for a while purely acoustic, creating very broken and abrupt noises from his junk-eletronix. Extremely entertaining to see, surprising and fresh to hear as well. In theory, it's "just noise", but great lesson to see for possibilities to add personal touch with little elements! Face to the audience - everything to be seen. I like that.

Svartvit started again more heavy and solid rumbling noise. And back-to-the-audience approach is something I've grown quite tired. Looking at other guys butts, is for another scene, not mine. I want to see what he's doing there. And he did quite well, slowly building the noise further and further, and when screamy vocals with nicely blending deep echo in it came, to me it sounded almost psychedelic, yet there was element of aggression. When the final climax was about to start, my attention was distracted by case of friends wife falling out of the door, face down to ground - passed out from drinking enough, heh.. So, last minutes of show it was more of checking out if everything was ok, and carrying the seemingly lifeless body to van... so how did the gig end? I assume to some pushing & bouncing against the audience members. It was good set with firm execution, but after the uplifting junk noise of Umpio and with style of sound system used, it was blending quite well to noise of rest of evening, while Umpio was the guy to stood out from it. Subtle qualities of noise may be clouded by ear protection or type of PA - so the general atmosphere possibly counts the most. I'm not 100% sure whether I have Svartvit material at all?! Intended to talk about trades etc, but due circumstances, had to leave quick.

Thanks for Niko/Obscurex for another good evening! Maybe next time without public transportation strike, more people will come.. Anyone without car or other private transportation, probably had hard time getting into venue yesterday. Crowd was still decent - if you ask me! Just perfect for private noise gig.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Scat-O-Logy

Thanks for (at least semi-)positive comments. It's very relieving to hear that I didn't suck THAT much. I faced some difficulties with my backing track (used mp3 like a dummy) but overall I'm quite happy. Everything was planned beforehand but most of it changed during the performance. I wasn't able to hear much from where I was standing so I'm anxiously waiting some files from Niko. As for other performances, I guess I should mention that I don't usually listen to noisecore but Unpeace (or should I say Unpace, hah) really worked for me. Like Mikko already mentioned brutal & barbaric, yet clumsy and it worked. Hats off for GG Allin cover, Myöhänen is the man! Unclean had really solid set but faced the same problem as I. Using mp3 wasn't the best possible option but I still liked his set a lot. Mika's vocals are so fucking brutal that they alone are enough of a reason to enjoy his performance. At this point the container started to smell like ass, so I guess "Unclean" nailed it, hah. Next up was THE GUY, the noise wizard, Mr. PD aka Umpio himself and oh man did he deliver! Very detailed & tight sound with great harsh edge. I really liked the mix between acoustic & effected junks. Somewhere in the middle I lost the feel but PD saved it with (cow?)bells and continued from there on, gaining harshness little by little and ending the set like a master he is. Svartvit was the last one to perform and I must admit I enjoyed his set a lot. The "interaction" with audience stuff kinda got me "out of guard" but it was great. The sound was very powerful and worked perfectly well with him running around in the audience, pushing people and vice versa, while having a contact mic in his mouth & screaming his lungs out. Great ending for a solid evening. Then it was time for not-so-intense (hah!) after party with couple of guys from the gig. I awoke somewhere around 5am lying around the floor of Unpeace guitarist and soon after it was my time to start traveling back to my hometown, trying not to puke. Still a little dizzy but I regret nothing! Thanks to Niko for everything and to all the great people I met there!

MT

Nice evening, my set went pretty well, all went as planned. Some mishaps but it happens. Thanks to all fellow artists and most of all to Niko, won't go into details about everyones sets but I enjoyed them all! It is quite rare. Spent the next night mostly sleeping under a balcony...

Unclean live is in youtube, in case someone has a need to see it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYAvY8GtKRI

You can can also find Dark Session full set from the same channel.

pentd

hola!
my praises to ppt for helping with the hot wheelz + everyone who bothered comin out. powerful sets by all, i was waitin for unclean to chop up all his cables with the metal sheet haha. thanx for the gig + really glad y'all liked it. crunchy sounds + good times all in all, stinkin of fart and sweat. the sound system was perfect for this kinda setup, i really liked to play the low buzz drones at beginning of my set, while  alone / when practicing i can listen to the seismik hum much much longer, maybe not the best idea at a party like this haha... i had quite a radigue winter... maybe sometime we have to have a drone evening haha, with chairs + riippumatts

apparently its possible to have a mini-pit in a shoebox like this Kont. also apparently its possible to score an oscillator.

i also liked svartvit having a saw and metal things with mikes but i didnt really hear how the saw sounds, me dumb?? more saw crunching sounds, ugh!!

Ashmonger

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on May 19, 2013, 10:34:08 AM
So, last minutes of show it was more of checking out if everything was ok, and carrying the seemingly lifeless body to van...
Where you gently slapped her face with a cold cow's tongue you still had lying around to wake her up?!

Niko

Not much to add, all went well.
Big thanks to performers and audience, especially those who managed to come even with the bus drivers strike.
Mr.Svartvit had an very good time and he hopes he can some day return to Finland.

This was the 6th konttigig in one year, so might have to take a little break from gig organizing(No promises though, heh)
Next time probably something with less bands but longer sets or Saastaa Suomesta related gig if it's possible to scrape up enough bands from the compilation to the same date..

Some videos from the gig:
Unpeace: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n_N6eIQq94
Svartvit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJvqwtPFUbg
Umpio: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fehWT49Vjtk
Unclean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYAvY8GtKRI
Dark Session: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Kcyip7bhB8

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on May 19, 2013, 10:34:08 AM
so how did the gig end? I assume to some pushing & bouncing against the audience members.
Some audience interaction(or should I say Myöhänen interaction) can be seen in the Svartvit video in: 6:56--> & 10:25-->

online prowler

Thanx for the links Niko. Was hoping some documentation would surface. Shared the material online. Credited you for the documentation.

redswordwhiteplough

Unfortunately I had to leave before Svartvit's set, so thanks for the vid.