documentaries

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, December 10, 2009, 09:03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeno Marx

Iggy Pop's mini-series of Punk documentaries on Epix, Comcast's premium network.  You'll have to pay for the other episodes, but the first episode is free.  Hearing good things about it.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

holy ghost

I watched the Agnostic Front documentary while listing records on discogs today. Talk about a ducking snoozefest. I don't know why I was expecting anything else.

Then I watched the Incapacitants doc, very well done - really enjoyed it.

Obviously I like Incapacitants way more than Agnostic Front - but thedocumentary was just so formulaic.

I saw the Slave to the Grind one recently too at a screening - very enjoyable especially as they're working with zero budget. Lots of cool interviews. The guy from Discordance Axis I wanted to slap upside the head after about 12 seconds.

Scat-O-Logy

Abducted in Plain Sight
Just a fucked up story about sex sick pervert called Robert "B" Berchtold. Highlights: The mother of the kidnapped child cheating on her husband with the kidnapper. Kidnapper making the father jack him off. Parents finally get their child back but as they have an "image" to maintain, they decide to drop all charges when the kidnapper threatens to reveal their dirty little secrets to the community. Then the kidnapper creeps back into their lives and snatches her again. The kidnapper ends up killing himself with a mixture of heart medication, milk and glue (that's a first).

DSOL

Quote from: Scat-O-Logy on March 19, 2019, 02:13:46 AM
Abducted in Plain Sight
Just a fucked up story about sex sick pervert called Robert "B" Berchtold. Highlights: The mother of the kidnapped child cheating on her husband with the kidnapper. Kidnapper making the father jack him off. Parents finally get their child back but as they have an "image" to maintain, they decide to drop all charges when the kidnapper threatens to reveal their dirty little secrets to the community. Then the kidnapper creeps back into their lives and snatches her again. The kidnapper ends up killing himself with a mixture of heart medication, milk and glue (that's a first).

started this and got up to the part where the dad jacked him off in the car - going to finish it this weekend but holy fuck how infuriating are the god damn parents
"I do not get bored of nude ladies nor good Japanese noise"

pentd

dam, i had forgotten this part of the forum ;) thanx for all the gold.

i recently saw "Hit So Hard" bout douche-grunge band hole. well, like the music or not, some fucked up people here haha
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1796503/

music documentaries are often interesting, even without any interest for the music in case.... like karen carpenter, stevie nicks, ted nugent... some seriously messed up people... a bit like goin to a zoo, until you remember that you have shit to do and life gets shorter

holy ghost

My favourite music docs are the BBC ones - Genesis, Prog Rock, Krautrock, I would be totally down to see more of them in that vein....

online prowler

Abducted in Plain Sight

Thanks for the heads up on this one. Was new to me. A bit generic film production over all, but the story and its involved surpassed that w stellar points. Can recommend it to others as well. It is as crazy as it sounds.

holy ghost

Abducted in Plain Sight was interesting but I wish they had gone more into the current situation of the people interviewed about the case. Also her parents were so stupid I believe they should be in jail right now!! I mean this was 1974!!

EXU

Special Interests Documentary: ZSS
Not really familiar with the project and by the end of the video I didn't got many insight of it, seems like a missed opportunity and I hope with time SI does something more in depth and thoughful (both in content and technique). It's basically a long interview interspersed with some images and two or three live excerpts, the lack of any onscreen info about who is talking, what is being shown (album artwrk, cover, date, place) etc bothers me a little but the oldschool film video filter bothers even more, gives it a very (negative) amateur aspect to it all, the location of the interview doesn't helps (the beige wall background, maybe just make it b&w then?).

In the end what bugs me the most is that the interview is made of mostly "the guy from ZSS" kind of explaining/validating the imagery used on the project, something that was already said in the first two minutes of the video, then just dragged on an on, with the musical/audio aspects representing less than 5% of the content, and it's sad that by the end, in the final couple of minutes (after the interesting if shallow talking about the live act with the bike and video) things get way more interesting because he starts to talk about his project on a more personal take instead of trying to put it in perspective, and with some focus on more interesting questions it could be very nice because he seems articulated enough to say more than the blanket statements that the interviewer seemed to ask of him, like in parts when he mentions "detachment" with the material of some power electronic acts and other hints of deeper thoughts. As it is everything seems muddled. Here's for hoping this series  of interviews get closer to the documentary "format" and add more background information as well as some editing of redundancy and more meaty interview questions.

EXU

DEATH - DEATH BY METAL - Doc about the death metal band Death (I hope this is clear enough now). It's good but I can't help putting band docs I see side to side with the Cannibal Corpse one. The CC is so well done and extensive that should serve as a model for other docs in the same vein, at least with bands that have more than a couple albums because you can't nerd enough in two hours, and this is stuff for nerds in the first place. I don't know if there is a longer edit or if there are tons of extras but as it is, it's ok, nice to watch, and I esp. like the fact that it doesn't try to create a myth out of Schuldiner, it talks about some of his flaws... Still, not enough! I mean, most people talking are ex band members, with only (from what I can remember) his mother and sister, a producer and an agent outside of that circle (there's two jornalists two I guess), you don't get to hear other metal artists and people in the "scene" or personal friends and that adds a lot. I also think that there's not info enough about the albums (moar nerding please) and you don't know much about Chuck the person, his personal life would be interesting... I know it is a doc about "the band", but you can't separate one from the other, he was the band in some way. If it was just a three albuns band without any grand happening at the end (the cancer shit) and with more or lesso common dudes or at least ones that doesn't have connections with hundreds of other interesting acts and activities, well, then two hours could tap that fine. This one left me unsatisfied even if I recommend it.

VICE has some cool little docs, I don't like the magazine a lot and some people who work for them are assholes, blablabla, but I liked Inside America's Most Violent Wrestling Deathmatch (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps0NJ2Sq8D4) and even more Heroin Holiday in the Czech Republic (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdYZj9vmfi0) and Takanakuy: Fistfighting in the Andes (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKjSyZhIIiw&t) I was surprised that I did not despise Thomas Morton as the "host" of these two and actually enjoyed his work here. Will check out more of the Vice Fringes docs for sure, cool snapshots of interesting material.

holy ghost

I didn't know about the Death doc - is it streaming anywhere? I love all eras of Death (depending on my mood I like prog-tech-wank later stuff better or early raw-tech better) but I'd love to see this. Haven't seen the CC one either but as a casual fan I would like to.

Streaming platforms in Canada don't often pick these up and buying a DVD is sort of redundant since they just seem to sit around since I do t own a DVD player anymore. I would really only be doing it if it was the only means to "support" the filmmaker.

EXU

Sorry HG, I saw it thru less honorable "alternative" ways, so can't help you there.

EXU

Flint Town - Binge watched this one. It reminds me a lot of "The Wire", and some people here seems even too good (in a cinematic sense, as a character, etc) to be true. Loved the soundtrack too. The rating was like 1.5/5 stars and I don't know how it's calculated but I really wish it will have more episodes (porbably won't tho). It covers a lot of ground and gets better with every episode (there are 8 here in Brazil).

ReMastered: Devil at the Crossroads - Ok, short and ok. Seems like the ReMastered will be a series of docs. Cool.

ethnic_separatist

Abducted in Plain Sight

This was a late night in-bed watch with my wife. Turned into the two of us screaming at the TV for 90 minutes. Loved the taped phone calls between the mother and the abductor/her lover where they sound like old friends catching up.

EXU

The Devil and Father Amorth - Kind of ok doc by William Friedkin, I liked the beggining where they talk about The Exorcista and then comes a kinda boring real exorcism session and it ends with a lot of people going "oh, that's cool" about it and then things are left hanging by the end, unsatisfying in all fronts IMO.