SMELL & QUIM "Spaceshit" reissued

Started by HongKongGoolagong, February 19, 2013, 10:16:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HongKongGoolagong

Blackoperations has covered the post-2007 incarnation of Smell & Quim with his own major involvement and the releases with exemplary completeness in his thread at this forum. But Smell & Quim first appeared as a more-or-less musical group at some point during the late 1980s. The duo incarnation of Milovan Srdenovic and Paul Nonnen recorded two classic and now sought-after albums "Jesus Christ" and "The Jissom Killers" as well as some classic tape releases which were reissued in recent years on Industrial Recollections.

After the breakup of that lineup Srdenovic's main musical partner between about 1994 and 1998 was d.foist (aka well-known experimental/drone musician Neil Campbell) and Smell & Quim truly flooded the market with a bewildering array of albums, tape packages, collaborations and singles. At this time the band became a more frequent live act and known for trouble-making shows involving nudity, assaults on the audience, dangerous behaviour of every imaginable kind and a large and varied troupe of live performers.

Aside from a couple of impossible-to-locate lathe-cut singles, the only major release from the 'missing years' between the late 90s and 2007 was the rare album SPACESHIT, released as a CD-R limited to just 100 on obscure experimental label Mental Guru - the final release on that label before its owner permanently entered the institutional psychiatric system during 2000.

For this album, the ever-present and omnipresent Grand Master Milovan Srdenovic worked closely with one of the young female members of the exhibitionistic live troupe Holly Hero (whose other interests and concerns have included fetish modelling and ufology) to create a recording which is not only unlike any other Smell & Quim album but a truly unique and bizarre listening experience. As well as noise sequences there are interludes of chill-out electronica, Hawaiian pedal steel guitar, a plethora of perverted and obscure samples (including rare recordings of Stewart Home making prank calls to prostitutes) and some of the final recordings of legendary painter and performance artist Diz Willis before his death. The album is highly thought of by those lucky enough to have heard it - I remember William Bennett DJing at Hinoeuma and playing excerpts from this alongside Yoko One and the Langley Schools Project.

Must Die Records have reissued this as a pro-copied CD-R with printed labels, all original artwork and a nice embossed Smell & Quim cardboard envelope outer sleeve. The original recordings were remastered by Holly Hero during 2012 and now show 40 tracks over 52 minutes (to match the tracklist) rather than a single piece. I'm not sure how limited this edition is but it certainly won't be around forever. Visit http://mustdierecords.co.uk/ to obtain a copy once they have updated their site within the next few days to include it. I know it exists as I have a copy in front of me!

"WHEN WE MAKE NOISE, WE ENTER INTO A REALM
THAT IS INTRINSICALLY ALREADY PART OF US.
THIS IS EXACTLY WHY NOISE IS SUCH AN INVIGORATING
AND UPLIFTING MEDIUM. BOYS AND GIRLS,
DEVOID YOUR SCROTAL BAGGAGE OR
FALLOPIAN/OVARIAN TWINSET AND PEARLS.
YOUR EYES ARE IN FRONT OF YOUR FUCKING FACE!
DON'T LET THAT FOOL YOU!"