Skullflower

Started by jesusfaggotchrist, February 13, 2013, 05:21:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HongKongGoolagong

Listening to Draconis (Cold Spring 2014 2xCD) again and it really is the very best thing with the name Skullflower on for a long time - an almost perfect fusion of the atonal post-2005 BM sounds with prettier melodies reminiscent of the mid-90s vibe, and dressed up in some of the nuttiest most dramatic conceptual mysticism yet: time travel, Egypt transposed over Yorkshire, saucy titles talking about 'Nightblooms'.

A record that would appeal to many different listeners from all sorts of backgrounds, Cold Spring's great packaging and Skullflower got this one exactly right.

MMMM

Two new albums. Any impressions yet?

david lloyd jones

Quote from: MMMM on March 04, 2017, 05:00:08 PM
[/quote

no.
but whatever your expectations, they will go and go and go ad nauseam...]

Duncan

Bower's been knocking digital only (I think) releases out steadily for months on bandcamp.  Not listened to much but it's worth a visit for the shitty artwork and writing that accompanies it.

https://skullflower.bandcamp.com

david lloyd jones

Quote from: Duncan on March 04, 2017, 06:37:16 PM
Bower's been knocking digital only (I think) releases out steadily for months on bandcamp.  Not listened to much but it's worth a visit for the shitty artwork and writing that accompanies it.

https://skullflower.bandcamp.com

does this mean shifty everything or just non sounds?
not listened to sf in a dogs age.
get the idea that releases are cut from a never ending source.
don't like it now? wait a while and maybe you will.

HongKongGoolagong

Quote from: Duncan on March 04, 2017, 06:37:16 PM
Not listened to much but it's worth a visit for the shitty artwork and writing that accompanies it.

I like the writing a lot, it's funny, confusing, obnoxious, provocative, poetic and pretentious all at once and leaves me wanting more. He has a book due out this year.

Duncan

I prefer the photos of his cat

bitewerksMTB

I think I sold off everything I had from Skullflower but I do still own two of the Shock Xpress books & a few issues of the magazine. Stefan always seemed like an interesting character...

http://www.tinymixtapes.com/features/stefan-jaworzyn

david lloyd jones

Quote from: theotherjohn on March 05, 2017, 11:32:04 PM
Funnily enough, I was looking through my copy of the Headpress book Xerox Ferox recently and in the Jaworzyn interview/Shock Xpress section on pg. 511, there's a scan of a Xpress Mail page that features a letter from a Mr David Lloyd Jones...

yeah, the same.
also was in turnip flag by mr goolagong and, in my hippy period, hairy hifi.
the shock letter was just extra padding to a subscription thing.
anyway, this is skullflower's thread...
clearly in the most recent few thousand releases mr bower is skull.
mr jaworzyn there at the beginning or so-see the VODbroken flag set booklet for info there.

eraciator

Decrepitude

Quote from: MMMM on March 04, 2017, 05:00:08 PM
I Bought The Spirals Of Great Harm CD a while back and have been playing it constantly. Brilliant, imaginative sound design and it seems that on every listen you find something new from the murk. Listening to both of the CD's in one sitting is a bit of a chore but there's not much filler per se and I've just listened them one at a time. I haven't really been on a Skullflower kick in a long while but this got me interested in their other newer stuff too.

Kayandah

Does anyone know if the Form Destroyer LP was ever bootlegged? I finally got round to putting my collection on discogs and in theory the LP i brought a couple years back in Japan is an original, except it seems in remarkably good condition for something nearly thirty years old and i paid a fraction of what it should be worth, hence my suspicion it is a bootleg