PURE (rrr sub-label)

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, February 01, 2013, 09:15:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreakAnimalFinland

Dead Body Love   Maximum Dose ◄ (2 versions)   1996

Lets see... If the masterminds like THE RITA keeps hailing DBL as one of ultimate noise mongers, there is something unusual here. I usually preferred his "PE copycat" project Discordance, but this synth noise project harshness is without doubt very strong in deep bass rumble and oscillating harshness. While it lacks my favorite elements of physical/feedback/"body noise" - without doubt its heavy and hard.

*PURE 15   Runzelstirn & Gurgelstøck   Dein Mund So Rot... ◄ (2 versions)   1995

You know what it is. When I first heard it, I was almost shocked by amount of air on disc. Meaning, first whole aspect of timing and composition was lost on me, when it seemed like guys waiting and waiting, until single hit of hammer on some rubber toy making clonk & whistle... and then waiting again. But sooner or later genius quality of disc revealed itself to me. Hard, bizarre, odd, and somewhat retarded avantgarde!

*PURE 17   Knurl   Nervescrap ‎(CD)   1996

Knurl of old times - or should I say Knurl all the time - is sold metal junk harsh noise.

*PURE 18   Violent Onsen Geisha   The Midnight Gambler ◄ (2 versions)   1996

VOG was always great name if you ask me. But also very mysterious. Very difficult to get anything, and when you finally did, it wasn't really noise. Sound collages, weirdness, but ALSO noise on this disc. One of the only VOG releases you can access easy and cheap.

*PURE 20   Chop Shop (3) plays Emil Beaulieau   Red & Buried ‎(CD)   1995

Chop Shop plays EB records via his custom build speakers, creating hissy, distant, rusty and decayed sound.

*PURE 21   Total (2)   Glassy Warhead (Album) ◄ (3 versions)   1995

Bower has so extensive discography, it's hard to say where exactly this goes in terms of importance? Fact is, that it remains solid guitar-drone/feedback noise + harshnoise fusion. Very rotten mid-frequency sound overall.

*PURE 25   MSBR   Destructive Locomotion Dedicated To Chizuo Matsumoto    1995

May not be the best MSBR, but if you can't get "Ultimate Ambience" or "Collapseland", this ain't bad way to start. It certainly is much better than later days MSBR cdr output...

*PURE 26   Pain Jerk   Trashware ◄ (2 versions)   1995

To me, this always was among absolute highlights of Pain Jerk. And therefore, absolute mandatory noise CD for anyone interested in high quality, super sharp and clear Japanese noise!

*PURE 30   Le Syndicat   Corrumpate ‎(CD, Album, RE)   1995
*PURE 31   Le Syndicat   Relikat & Schraguemusik ‎(CD)   1995
*PURE 32   Le Syndicat   Rectitude ‎(CD, Album, RE)   1995

Very good re-issues of old Le Syndicat tapes. Its been mentioned by band that tapes were dubbed by various distributors/people back then, resulting that there are very different quality tapes in circulation. And now when you think some newer Le Syndicat re-issues, I think they have boosted them to modern "clip compressing" style. Therefore, despite packaging being minimal, these CD's could be among best purchases of this stuff. Volume on CD's is quite low, but not a problem your stereo volume button wouldn't solve!

*PURE 34   Masonna   Noisextra (Album) ◄ (2 versions)   1995

I know a lot of people have complimented this CD. I must say that I was quite disappointed with it back then. Not that it would be BAD, but this is 2 tracks. First is re-cut old material. Mmostly material known from Alchemy CD's, just re-edited. And the 2nd track is very flat and ultra distorted. Reminding me from the shift where the early bouncing, dynamic and exploding Masonna started to be this hissy distortion wall. Not bad, but having the older Masonna albums in collection, this simply couldn't compete with Madamoiselle..... or Noskl In Ana. But again, for price it is, it's simply very good purchase for those who don't want to pay big bucks for old rarities.

*PURE 35   PBK / Hands To / AMK   System-Music-End ‎(CD, Album, Comp)   1995

Another of Pure items I didn't care much when it came out, due not being noisy enough. But over the years, it grew. I think my review of it appears somewhere in SI forum playlist topic... Collaborations between these 3 american artists, combining good elements of each.

*PURE 37   Thurston Moore   Please Just Leave Me (My Paul Desmond) ‎(CD)   1996

Perhaps only Pure disc I genuinely disliked. And I think, according to label, the bestseller. No wonder. I thought it lacks everything I wait from guitar-noise. Genre which appears as if it would be easy, but very little of seriously good releases...

more later...
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

whateverforever

My RRRcycled tape is worth hearing (;P)...

GEWALTMONOPOL

Is that the Teenage Nuremburg CD? I have it here. I doubt it's an art edition but it looks as awful as one would expect. If anyone wants it I'll let it go for the postage cost. If no one wants it I have a very hungry bin that needs feeding.
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: GEWALTMONOPOL on October 09, 2014, 11:00:59 PM
Is that the Teenage Nuremburg CD? I have it here. I doubt it's an art edition but it looks as awful as one would expect. If anyone wants it I'll let it go for the postage cost. If no one wants it I have a very hungry bin that needs feeding.

I would assume what you have is bunch of xeroxes over advertizements or color papers? It's not the "special edition" but perhaps more accurately "3rd edition"?

I think there are 3 main editions of most discs:
-Original Pure cardsleeve packaging, where only stiker indicated band/release name.
-When RRR moved and address of those covers out-dated, he started to paste xeroxed art over the cardboard sleeve
-When cardboard covers/glueing jobs etc became too much, it was just bunch of xeroxes inside plastic sleeve

Besides this, some repressings was done as CDR, and some releases have been issued as artist editions.

Also depending when you bought the Pure discs, "insert" = catalogue may vary. Some of the earliest ones also list titles that was planned, but never came out. Curious details for example planned solo albums of each Borbetomagus member was listed.

Some first copies of Ramleh CD's also included printed inserts. Some sort of artist edition of Ramleh included extra CDR with odd videos of... young boys was it? hah..

GEWALTMONOPOL

Special Olympics Edition perhaps. It's in the bin now.
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...

Bloated Slutbag

Zone Nord "Roferon A" is one I have often name-checked, and will do so again. On at least a few occasions I have reserved the descriptor "good grave-digging music" - but perhaps I never bothered to explain this as representing the point of the view of the shovel doing the digging. Another comparable vantage might be that of having one's head dragged through a mound of dirt, with or without body attached.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

eraciator

Theodore

Quote from: eraciator on January 05, 2023, 11:52:28 AM
Some guy on eBay would appear to be selling 6 of the DAT masters from this series:

My first thought was : Fake ! How one gathered these if he is not Ron ? But then i saw the 'Production Master' sticker on the tape. So they come from the factory [?] . Needs caution and questions asked to the seller. In any case, these are only for 'sick' collectors. Digital to digital, i doubt there is any audio 'upgrade' [or downgrade closest to purity, to be more accurate] compared to the CDs. Could be ? How ? -I dont know about DAT- . If these were cassettes, that would be a different discussion ... Still, out of my reach.
"ἀθάνατοι θνητοί, θνητοὶ ἀθάνατοι, ζῶντες τὸν ἐκείνων θάνατον, τὸν δὲ ἐκείνων βίον τεθνεῶτες"

FreakAnimalFinland

Back in the day, many times when you send master to factory, they were not returned unless you asked them to be returned. At your cost. When its Digital Audio Tape transformed probably via optical cables to glass master, then it is the same data. Only way DAT would be better, is if it has for example 24bit / 48 as opposed to 16/41 CD quality and the audio would have been downgraded to CD level. I would assume all these DAT has been sent to label knowing it will be CD, and bit rate and all that is CD quality. I would assume those tapes would be then purely for collector purposes.

Warfare Noise

Tempted to buy them all to keep some faggot reissue label from conflating owning the tapes with owning the rights...

WCN

Quote from: Warfare Noise on January 05, 2023, 11:19:32 PM
Tempted to buy them all to keep some faggot reissue label from conflating owning the tapes with owning the rights...
Not all heroes wear capes.
Harsh Noise label and EU based distro of American Imports
https://whitecentipedenoise.com/

Warfare Noise

Why dont you ask a few Germans on the street if they have heard of Kluster? You might learn something.

Embarrassing.

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: Theodore on January 05, 2023, 01:07:30 PM
Some guy on eBay would appear to be selling 6 of the DAT masters from this series:
How one gathered these if he is not Ron ?

RRRon had donated to them to person in difficult financial situation due medical bills who then sold them to raise money.

skyloop

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on January 06, 2023, 09:17:54 AM
Quote from: Theodore on January 05, 2023, 01:07:30 PM
How one gathered these if he is not Ron ?

RRRon had donated to them to person in difficult financial situation due medical bills who then sold them to raise money.

How much were they going for? I sure hope someone got them that isn't gonna abuse them. I'm not against reissues though as long as it was done right. Reissues are very good for keeping a release alive and bringing it to more modern audiences that otherwise would have never heard it unless they were really into noise and just started buying a bunch of random stuff on discogs and enjoying it. I don't think anyone in noise is making big money off it and isn't just doing reissues to get more of it. A lot of these reissues come out on professionally made CD these days too which costs quite a bit of money and I often don't see them completely sell out everywhere for a long while. It's hard to see where any malicious intent would come from there. Unless someone just set up a label to reissue the things and didn't do so out of any interest but money and getting some fame for doing so which isn't much since noise is never going to be entirely embraced by the everyday listener of music. I think the biggest noise artist is Merzbow and is probably a good standard for the ceiling of popularity you can get with noise and who knows if it's actually doing them much financial good or they just have a lot of money as is and enjoy doing what they do so they keep it going.