THE MOST HARMFUL BOOKS

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, January 19, 2013, 09:24:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jordan

Quote from: jesusfaggotchrist on January 27, 2013, 05:58:07 AM
Quote from: ghoulson on January 19, 2013, 11:34:39 PM
Interesting thread...
I think the Satanic verses by Rushdie should be included as well, if only for the chaos it created in the world.
I heard rumours years time ago that one copy was walled into one of the first mosques built in Sweden.... if its true or not, I do not know.

the satanic verses was a brilliant work of non-fiction.

Care to explain this comment? Not sure I really understand your quip, but maybe my general distaste for magical realism is getting in the way.

HongKongGoolagong

A wonderful response from Trevor Blake to the American Library Association's Banned Books Week 2013 is at http://ovo127.com/2013/10/09/trevor-blake-banned-book-week-2013/

If only there were more voices like his who understand what free speech really means.

simulacrum

HongKongGookguy-

Don't be surprised over not seeing de Sade on the list. It only covers 19th-20th century books, and de Sade's most incendiary work was written in the 18th century. I guess we could argue about at least 120 Days' capability to be present on the list granted it's 20th century publication, but no doubt de Sade would have been on the list granted it included books published in his time.
Anyway, I feel like the public outrages over his books in the 20th century, the prosecution of a small French publisher printing his works in limited editions and de Sade's influence in the Moor's Murders could possibly include him on the list, but I'd doubt his readership among conservative readership. Of course some bone-dry academic conservatives are going to bury their noses in political theory rather than explore depravity.

Bob

The most dangerous book maybe the writeing of Jörg Lanz von Liebenfels (Adolf Josef Lanz) Who publised a the book Theozoology the ostara magazine and founded the Ordo Novi Templi in 1907 "in which the swastika was first used as a symbol of the "Aryan race"
His writeing detailed how "Aryan" peoples originated from interstellar deities (termed Theozoa) who bred by electricity, while "lower" races were a result of interbreeding between humans and ape-men (or Anthropozoa)

Modern russian reprint

For lack of space can not be entered on the ideology of the lance. But ten points of the program are to be mentioned as an example.

1 The restoration of the original race cult religion. This obliged the people to pure breeding and explains the racial mix of mortal sin.
2 It will be donated premiums for Blonde marriages.
3 The blonde get special rights. The right is justified by racial standpoint and shapes.
4 The women are brought up in a kind of monasteries for breeding mothers, so they do not get involved with Tschandalen.
5 Pure breeding colonies blond create reserves.
6 The blond man has the right to inseminate several women to the superior race is propagated to a greater extent.
7 Instead man weak men enter marriage helpers.
8 Reorganization of school education for Arioheroik.
9 The blonde belong to the healthy country.
10th Merger to shooting associations and armed corps.

Similarly, the 11 points for the eradication of Tschandalen:

1 Preaching of childless marriages through contraceptives (only the Tsehandalen)
2 Castration
3 Sterilization
4 Strike of the charity - the Tschandalen starve and go through 5 based on disease Slavery
6 Forced labor
7 Deportation to the desert
8 Prostitution
9 Use as cannon fodder
10 Direct liquidation, especially at the last decisive battle, the world revolution of the
11th Arioheroiker Lifting of press freedom.

l.b.

Quote from: jesusfaggotchrist on January 27, 2013, 05:58:07 AM

the satanic verses was a brilliant work of non-fiction.

not really no.

contributing: The Collector by John Fowles, a novel about a psychopathic young man who is obsessed with and imprisons a woman in his basement. Inspired serial killers Christopher Wilder, Robert Berdella and, most notably, Leonard Lake and Charles Ng.

HongKongGoolagong

Quote from: l.b. on December 09, 2013, 09:49:59 PM
The Collector by John Fowles, a novel about a psychopathic young man who is obsessed with and imprisons a woman in his basement. Inspired serial killers Christopher Wilder, Robert Berdella and, most notably, Leonard Lake and Charles Ng.

A brilliant and very bleak book. I love The Magus too. His startling decline as a writer afterwards is similar to what happened to Colin Wilson (RIP).

post-morten

I can just add that there's a really fantastic mid-60's movie adaption of The Collector too, starring Terence Stamp as the troubled collector. It's way more suspenseful than your average Hannibal Lector serial killer flick.

ONE

I note w/ interest the Bible is not listed ...
resist the things you can find everywhere