How Will You Party On 21/12/2012?

Started by Andrew McIntosh, December 19, 2012, 02:06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew McIntosh

Personally I thought I'd keep it nice and simple, few little drinks at home, a dvd, something like that. How about the rest of you?
Shikata ga nai.

H.H*D.H

Safe bet: drink myself until I blackout. That way I don't stress the possibility of end of the world.

FreakAnimalFinland

Helping friend to move. That's about it.
I have not really got why this date exactly has become so high profile in media? As opposed to other predictions of end of the worlds that never came.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

bitewerksMTB

I heard a comedian say that if the Mayans were so great at seeing into the future, why didn't they see what the Spanish were going to do?

It'd be pretty funny if it really happens, right at the very last second. POOF! It's all over.

acsenger

QuoteI have not really got why this date exactly has become so high profile in media? As opposed to other predictions of end of the worlds that never came.

Good question. Maybe because this "prediction" was "made" by the Mayans (though of course, they never made such a prediction) who are seen as exotic, as opposed to some currently alive person (like that American pastor who's made like 5 end of the world predictions in the last couple decades).

bitewerksMTB

I don't think they actually made a prediction. It's just that their calendar ran out. Who needs a calendar that goes so fucking far into the future anyway?

H.H*D.H

Quote from: acsenger on December 19, 2012, 07:16:47 PM
QuoteI have not really got why this date exactly has become so high profile in media? As opposed to other predictions of end of the worlds that never came.

Good question. Maybe because this "prediction" was "made" by the Mayans (though of course, they never made such a prediction) who are seen as exotic, as opposed to some currently alive person (like that American pastor who's made like 5 end of the world predictions in the last couple decades).
In my opinion, it became high profile because it could spread so easily in internet via social media (youtube, reddit, facebook, all that jazz). Somebody posts first an obscure link to obscure conspiracy theory site with 'earth ends in 2012' with title 'lulz, whata crazy shite' to 4chan or something like that and from there it spreads like black plague.

HongKongGoolagong

I'm gonna be working on mixes for the sixth Ceramic Hobs album then staying in and reading a book as I'm taking a break from drinking til Saturday...pretty boring night if it's the end of the world.

I would say it's been an unusually apocalyptic and strange year for darkly weird news stories with things like Luka Magnotta, the Batman shootings, Sandy Hook, and pop culture throwing things up like Ke$ha's "Die Young".

I think it was Terence McKenna who started talking up 2012 a lot in the 90s, certainly that's when I first heard about the Mayan calendar stuff. Probably helps to have taken as many hallucinogens as he did to believe it.

tiny_tove

just seeing my girlfriend and probably watching the new series of an idiot abroad.
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

Human Larvae

since 2K every few years the world is supposed to end. Seems like a new gimmick. Think I'll just stay at home and sleep it off

RyanWreck

Working, then going home and finishing 5 essay's I have due Monday. I'm a fucking party animal.

redswordwhiteplough

I'll be gaming the Arkham Horror board game and wish the stars will be right this time.

acsenger

QuoteI heard a comedian say that if the Mayans were so great at seeing into the future, why didn't they see what the Spanish were going to do?

Off the original topic, but I think this is interesting (and I quote from In Search of the First Civilizations by Michael Wood from the chapter about the Spanish conquest of Central America): "Cortes had arrived in the Aztec year 'one reed', when their ancient prophecies said the God Quetzalcoatl would return from exile in the east. For the Aztecs, whose confidence in the recurring cycles of history, the burden of time, was no less than that of the Maya, the coincidence drained away their will to resist. If the Spanish historians of the time are to be believed, the Aztecs immediately understood that these mysterious outside powers would be fatal to their own universe. On the terrible final night when Tenochtitlan fell, an omen appeared to the Aztecs which for them symbolized the break-up of their mythic and cosmological order. (...) Then suddenly the omen appeared, burning like fire in the sky. It wheeled in huge spirals like a whirlwind giving off light in showers of sparks like red hot embers. It made loud noises rumbling and hissing like metal on a fire. It circled above the walls near the lake shore. (...) No one cried out when the omen came into view. The people knew what it meant and they watched in silence."
The fall of Tayasal: "It was a hundred and fifty years after the Conquest that the last independent kingdom in Central America fell. In the remote jungles of northern Guatemala stood the island fortress of Flores, in native speech Tayasal. Here the late Mayan population was a mixture of Mayan and Mexican, which we call Yucatec. The prophetic books of the Yucatan Maya foretold that catastrophe would revisit them every cycle of thirteen katuns, 256 or 257 years. The next cycle was due to begin in 1697. Armed with that knowledge the Spanish force attacked on 13 March of that year. (...) The last independent kingdom of the Maya had fallen. The locals here seemed to have accepted this almost fatalistically, as an inescapable result of their view of the repeating cycle of time. For three times since the tenth century, the cycle of 256 or 257 years had brought them catastrophe. In Maya eyes this was the true burden of time. And today the old count still continues. The greatest catastrophe of modern Guatemalan history, the US-backed coup which overthrew their democracy in 1954, happened exactly 257 years after the fall of Tayasal."

martialgodmask

Quote from: redswordwhiteplough on December 20, 2012, 03:58:41 AM
I'll be gaming the Arkham Horror board game and wish the stars will be right this time.

Good game, the Great Old Ones are appropriate company for a doomsday scenario.