Coffee

Started by KMusselman, December 16, 2012, 10:10:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oOoOoOo

I think I'm going to go cold turkey from coffee for a week and see how I feel. I only drink decaf coffee so I can drink it all day, but still having a cup makes my head feel weird. I went through a half a pound of decaf brazilian beans yesterday, it really is an amazing roast that I get from my local cafe. Two days ago I went out over the iced sidewalks at night just so I could have some when I woke up in the morning. So, going off coffee is not for issues over the taste, it's just because of health concerns. Black coffee is and will remain the best drink.

JuhoN

My tea collection
...and cd because this is music forum

david lloyd jones

Favourite coffee- Java Lava supermarket cheap and strong.
Vietnamese beans, again cheap and strong with added nice vanilla tones.

Bleak Existence

Ethical Bean - Lush with my french press the taste is just amazing favorite coffee for me right now thumb up

oOoOoOo

Well, I was fucked over. I bought artisan decaf coffee from my grocery store, but it was roasted on December 10th. The subtle flavors are shot, it tastes stale, it gives me an unpleasant feeling in my head which is hard to describe; I'm not sure if it's because of the chemicals of stale coffee or that it's just so unpleasant to sip. Either way, I'm pretty sour about this. I don't think the woman at the checkout line put a receipt in my bag either. This is a terrible way to start my day...

JuhoN

Is there mild coffee? All coffee I have drink taste same.

Johann

Yea coffee can be bright/light bodied/mild, tends to have more tea like qualities. Fruity notes and more acidity, African, and most South American coffees tend to be more like this. Where as coffee from Indonesia tend to be dark/full bodied/low acidity and have a more earthy taste. These are just simple examples, but there are plenty of in betweens as well.

As pretensions as it may sound I recommend the pour over method with freshly ground beans from a clean coffee grinder if your going to really pick up on nuances between each variety (and individual coffee roaster). This and time, coffee is not unlike other food/alcohol even noise music, you have to develop a palate just like you develop an ear.

Regarding decafe, I always assumed the chemical process to remove the caffeine would alter the flavor and therefore I never partook. I stopped drinking and never understood why some move to a non alcoholic beer, but that's just personal preference

david lloyd jones

Quote from: KMusselman on April 01, 2017, 06:33:18 AM
anyone try Black Insomnia yet?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/31/health/worlds-strongest-coffee/

not yet seen.
my standard supermarket buy is high voltage by tailors of Harrogate, theta again, uses the Robusta bean for the kick, and is the strongest in their range with a spicy chocolaty thingtastewise that I enjoy

Deadpriest

Am I the only one who finds that Nescafe doesn't taste like coffee?
My book of poetry: http://www.histergrant.com/

Deadpriest

Quote from: Peterson on May 12, 2017, 06:40:30 PM
Quote from: Deadpriest on May 12, 2017, 06:12:09 PM
Am I the only one who finds that Nescafe doesn't taste like coffee?

Certainly not. Awful stuff. I think there's a Simpsons where Marge apologizes profusely to some guests about having Nescafe instead of coffee...

It has fluffy granules!!

david lloyd jones

taylors of harrogate 'lightning strike', one up from lava java.
usual dark flevours of chocolate, spices etc with just that little bit more caffeine kick from robusta beans.

david lloyd jones

coffee gets me going in the morning.
not appreciating the flavour at this time as much as the 'get up and go' factor
robusta beans deliver this
their taste is fine.

david lloyd jones

Quote from: KMusselman on June 09, 2017, 08:39:17 PM
real Englishmen drink tea...

possibly so.
i am welsh.

you yanks seem to need various guides to be drunk, stoned, or even have a drink at breakfast.

Deadpriest

Douwe Egberts granules smell a little like an ashtray, tastes ok though, thankfully.