Thoughts on Boyd Rice?

Started by jesusfaggotchrist, December 09, 2012, 04:46:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

absurdexposition

Quote from: absurdexposition on June 20, 2018, 10:36:46 PM
Judging by his Instagram he just seems like a charming older man now.

I'll revise this. Now that his art show has been shut down he's back to his old edgelord self.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

Duncan

Yeah, that above interview didn't seem like much more than name dropping and a bit of 'you can't say anything these days!' hyperbole.  I can see how his schtick went down a lot better and ruffled more useful feathers several decades ago in an America that was still clinging to it's 1950's values but now it just comes off like the boring, narcissistic bollocks it is.  Good luck going 'anyplace and living under any political system' or apolitically enjoying the chaos somewhere outside the kind of tolerant, developed societies that he's spend all his time in and thinks he's running counter to.

ekastaka

Quote from: Duncan on November 15, 2018, 08:23:05 PM
I can see how his schtick went down a lot better and ruffled more useful feathers several decades ago in an America that was still clinging to it's 1950's values but now it just comes off like the boring, narcissistic bollocks it is.
I mean he certainly ruffled enough feathers to get his art show cancelled. The people behind the shutdown are insane - screenshots documenting who the other artist follows on IG, email chains, hysteria, etc. etc. etc. Its all a bit after school special. "Is your friend reblogging iron crosses?"

Duncan

Quote from: sunandsteel on November 16, 2018, 01:30:51 AM
Quote from: Duncan on November 15, 2018, 08:23:05 PM
I can see how his schtick went down a lot better and ruffled more useful feathers several decades ago in an America that was still clinging to it's 1950's values but now it just comes off like the boring, narcissistic bollocks it is.
I mean he certainly ruffled enough feathers to get his art show cancelled. The people behind the shutdown are insane - screenshots documenting who the other artist follows on IG, email chains, hysteria, etc. etc. etc. Its all a bit after school special. "Is your friend reblogging iron crosses?"

It's no subversive achievement for him (or anyone else for that matter) to get an art show cancelled in 2018 because someone on the web said he was a bad guy and self conscious art people believed it without checking for themselves who he really was.  As he says, it's a series of hysterical and largely under researched reactions that got him booted off the art gig. I'd say that's good for him too because another aspect of controversy that goes unmentioned in the interview is that it distracts people from recognising him to be a self obsessed hack who has built a legacy out of opportunism, self promotion and networking more so than allegedly producing a few decent albums.  His prankster, counter cultural, provocateur act just looks really tired and dated now and he should count himself lucky that there are still new generations of ideologues coming through who are stupid enough to take his 40 year old bait.

C601

Love him or hate him he's amusing with a legit resume

xdementia

Unsurprisingly his views on American politics are gleefully ignorant but he is still a great artist.

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: SILVUM on November 17, 2018, 01:36:45 AM
Shitting on Boyd Rice is just ignorance to the history of industrial and noise.  Seeing dorks whine about him underlines an inability to contextualize and enhances a justification for dismissal and contempt for their pedestrian wank opinions.  Grasp where he's coming from (or DON'T - you obviously won't if you're DEAD set on being a whiny bitch).  If you're so fucking useless that you compare work he did in the late 70's based on a West Coast USA LAFMS / Exotica-trash culture fanatic context vs MODERN laptop and look at my collection - I can google now mommy - bullshit, then just fucking don't talk.  It's fact.  You can defend yourself from your own fears, but his works rules, shut.  UP.

DISMISSING his work as historically un-important is empty and ignorant.  Saying you don't like it - fine - valid, you're just boring, line up.

Yeah like, early Mizutani and Akita Merzbow from 83 sucks compared to.. whatever pedal collecting 00's no sex dork fuckery you scumfucks sperm on, but for 83 it's cool, and yeah I get it, Boyd talks about himself too much, but most real artists are doing their thing, not worrying about who is stamping their ticket.  Wish I was close to that integrity.

I have heard it many times, that NON / Boyd Rice was good before he turned out to be asshole. I know a lot of people rate their musical experience like that, but I can't really relate. Or even personal experiences. Like getting kicked out from gig for Merzbows requests, does it make me think less of Merzbows stuff? Not at all. Some lose their interest over apolitical person not having good political view, hah..

For honking his own horn, when in question of doing shows, giving interviews, I'd assume that is rather natural way to go. If people are interested in what he does, and he replies their inquiries, why not? Someone may argue that there are way more vital current artists out there, which based on musical merits should be a fact. Therefore would be good to cover them instead of still revolve around handful of old timers. Probably yes, but there are many channels to do that. Boyd you will most often find from big music press who cover the known artists - such as 40 years active veterans. For fresh blood and interesting new names, you can grab Noise Receptor, Special Interests, New Forces, Troubled Sleep and such zines to read about those who may have been around for just couple years to couple decades. One can open topic of the artist they feel strongly about. Conduct inteview with artists they like and post it online or give it to 'zines to publish. But no. It is surprisingly few who would do the utterly simple things to make change to direction they desire. In the end, it happens to be that besides farting opinions, self promotion, networking, guys like Boyd actually got things done. It is usually not the case with noise tourists and people who watch from the sidelines.

E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

burdizzo

And, in fairness, he does give a good interview.

Lazrs3

After I got the Larry Wessel film on him, I sent him some Snuff and English Cigarettes. He emailed me to say I was on the guest list to the Mute Festival in London, really nice guy.

As Rozz Williams used to stalk him, on our old Land of Rozz Pro-boards forum, we had a 'stalking Boyd Rice' thread where we'd all obsess about Boyd Stuff we had. I particularly liked his books. Ace music too.

jesusfaggotchrist

decent guy, misunderstood tbqh.

I think he's a secret Absurdist like me.