Thoughts on Boyd Rice?

Started by jesusfaggotchrist, December 09, 2012, 04:46:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ImpulsyStetoskopu

Quote from: Invisible War on December 19, 2012, 10:05:22 AM
Quote from: ironfistofthesun on December 09, 2012, 11:19:26 PM
new album is poor....still touring the "total war" set...even tho rummers are he is a now a buddhist ? Nice guy and we owe him a lot. But i think he should stick to his counter culture writings.

Not sure about Buddhist, but more like Gnostic Christian, believes in reincarnation. At the end of ICONOCLAST he talks with Bob Larson and makes it pretty clear that he no longer believes in lyrics of "Total War"*. So that's probably why his performances of that song have been dull. But that's besides the point. He's latest album is also pretty weak in my opinion. It's bland, doesn't have anything interesting to say, and the sound is pretty much just a return to Pagan Muzak/Physical Evidence, but not as revolutionary as it was back then. It just seems that he's run out of ideas and needed to churn out a new record in order to stay relevant, especially now that "old school Industrial" is a trend (see all the mainstream hype about TG/XTG).

Exactly. The same impressions. Probably, Mr. Boyd Rice is like a whore who looks for her old, youth shine. Unfortunately, Boyd Rice, as like members of TG, are whores in so called "industrial/noise".

FreakAnimalFinland

Hmm.. Suddenly it made me think who all did sort of comeback records in recent years? NON, Monte Cazazza, TG,.. more? Is it pure coincidence that it happens? Although I most definitely won't oppose the collective spirit. When you get inspired and motivated, it's foolish to think it's all inborn sparks. Certainly there would be difference of opportunism and simply be caught by power of inspiring moment. As a makers of sound, it is possible to hear talent build over years of experiments. Those who did 5, 10, 15, 20 years constant work as opposed to those who probably did 1 year worth spread over decades. NON appears to be most of all concept based, so I would be surprised if he spent a lot of time experimenting with musical elements.
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

ImpulsyStetoskopu

I would add yet: TEST DEPT, 23 SKIDOO or MINAMATA/LA NOMENKLATUR... What is strange, all of them prefer live shows which are better profitable, and here are NWW or LUSTMORD who suddenly changed their rules and want to do live shows. Anyway, there isn't problem (because this is subjective question) with NON, who makes (now) poor noise industrial, problem is question - WHY he decided to do it? And, why he plays TOTAL WAR (now), when he stated that this kind of work isn't on time in his life?

Brad

There was a Test Dept. comeback?

Clock DVA is doing live shows again, but no new record yet as far as I know.

Invisible War

Quote from: Brad on December 21, 2012, 05:53:19 AM
There was a Test Dept. comeback?

Clock DVA is doing live shows again, but no new record yet as far as I know.

Came back as Test Dept.:Redux, an EBM club version of the band.

http://testdept.org.uk/redux/

Test Dept: Redux is conceived as a club based EBM (Electronic Body Music) intense music & visual performance experience.

Titled 'UFoF:v2' the performance is a live re-mix and re-imagining by the two founder members of Test Dept - Paul Jamrozy and Graham Cunnington – the tracks performed are taken from Test Dept's own sound and visual archive from their classic agitprop 1986 album 'The Unacceptable Face of Freedom'* and earlier material.

Originally UFoF was an expression of the rage and frustration felt by a large section of society towards the brutal policies and consequences of the UK's Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher (1979>1990), which has now, once again, gained a powerful relevance to our current circumstances within the wider globalised economic and militaristic order in these recession hit times.

P-K

Quote from: Invisible War on December 21, 2012, 06:01:38 AM

est Dept: Redux is conceived as a club based EBM (Electronic Body Music) intense music & visual performance experience.

boring as f*   :-(

Goat93

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on December 19, 2012, 01:01:07 PM
Hmm.. Suddenly it made me think who all did sort of comeback records in recent years? NON, Monte Cazazza, TG,.. more? Is it pure coincidence that it happens? Although I most definitely won't oppose the collective spirit. When you get inspired and motivated, it's foolish to think it's all inborn sparks. Certainly there would be difference of opportunism and simply be caught by power of inspiring moment. As a makers of sound, it is possible to hear talent build over years of experiments. Those who did 5, 10, 15, 20 years constant work as opposed to those who probably did 1 year worth spread over decades. NON appears to be most of all concept based, so I would be surprised if he spent a lot of time experimenting with musical elements.

Would'nt say that Boyd Rice did a Comeback, he where always present in some kind of Way.
But your absolute right.

tisbor

I listened to "Back To Mono" and it just sounded like poorly made noise to me. I liked the titles though.
I guess at this point he should either stick to writing or record more "Boyd & Giddle" style stuff.

FreakAnimalFinland

Quote from: Goat93 on December 21, 2012, 12:39:20 PM
Would'nt say that Boyd Rice did a Comeback, he where always present in some kind of Way.
But your absolute right.

Well, it's up to debate of course. I guess most of these guys have been doing something and I guess most of them didn't loudly announce they quit? 
But if talking about NON, what released stuff pretty much non-stop from late 70's, at maximum of 1-3 years between each release, until... "Children of the Black Sun". Fast forward 10 years, and then this new album. Is it comeback of NON, or just regular activity? I don't think he ever announced that he quit, and he didn't, but gap of 10 years most certainly often interrupts the artists flow and it is some sort of "return", instead of natural progressive continuum.

At the same time, could be asked what do we know? All we know for fact is that time flies fast as fuck, and 10 years goes between recordings so quick that you didn't even notice when you were doing other creative things. If new NON was phenomenal recording, these doubts wouldn't cross anyones mind. Now it seems legit to wonder what did happen.

Invisible War

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on December 21, 2012, 05:29:07 PM
But your absolute right.

Well, it's up to debate of course. I guess most of these guys have been doing something and I guess most of them didn't loudly announce they quit? 
But if talking about NON, what released stuff pretty much non-stop from late 70's, at maximum of 1-3 years between each release, until... "Children of the Black Sun". Fast forward 10 years, and then this new album. Is it comeback of NON, or just regular activity? I don't think he ever announced that he quit, and he didn't, but gap of 10 years most certainly often interrupts the artists flow and it is some sort of "return", instead of natural progressive continuum.

At the same time, could be asked what do we know? All we know for fact is that time flies fast as fuck, and 10 years goes between recordings so quick that you didn't even notice when you were doing other creative things. If new NON was phenomenal recording, these doubts wouldn't cross anyones mind. Now it seems legit to wonder what did happen.

It's worth noting that he and Mute promoted the release as a "return to Boyd Rice's noise roots", so hence why I mention it along with the other retro Industrial announcements.

I find it amusing to mainstream publications like the Pitchfork, Financial Times, editors from GQ, and others fawning over many of these releases, as if the past 30 years of Industrial/Noise didn't happen and the forefathers came back to the rescue!

Goat93

Quote from: FreakAnimalFinland on December 21, 2012, 05:29:07 PM
But your absolute right.

There were some Releases like Live in Osaka DVD, the Ambient Reworks, the Iconoclast Movie, Baptism by Fire Live DVD with old Material or the Alarm Agent with Death in June. Since he works all the Time on some Stuff i see no Comeback, only cause he releases a New Album with one Project he did :-)

Invisible War
QuoteI find it amusing to mainstream publications like the Pitchfork, Financial Times, editors from GQ, and others fawning over many of these releases, as if the past 30 years of Industrial/Noise didn't happen and the forefathers came back to the rescue!

Its always the same with that Shit. Yesterday i listen to some Radio Shows and someone claim that a fucking boring German Commercial Wannabee Punk band would be the First in Germany who use to play X Mas Songs in Metal/Rock Variation. Funnily some people beliefe it. Its too hard to type some Letters in Google and read for yourself, you know :/

FreakAnimalFinland

But none of those you listed is not "new recordings", but date back to just about time of mentioned Children of Black Sun (or earlier). You know, "live osaka" from 80's, ambient collection dating from 70's onwards, how is that new activity? Baptism in fire was 1999 and 2002/2003. Same as Alarm Agents. Even if some of them were released later.
Of course most of Back To Mono is mostly 2009-2010 recordings, not 2012. But still in terms of when was last NON or Boyd Rice real "noise" recordings? Collaboration with Z'ev, but otherwise quite long break? But again, seems irrelevant, when questions rises only when trying to think of reasons why his old works kills and these don't... One explanation would include having break in making material and therefore not having totally perspective on quality of works? I have yet to hear full album, but simply material what I have heard, has not given reason to purchase it.

burdizzo

Just reading back over this topic, and I agree w/ a lot of what has been said. However, I did go and see NON in Frankfurt last weekend in what will probably prove to be his last performance in Europe, and I must say, I really, really enjoyed it. Now, it wasn't perfect by any means - could have been a bit louder, could have been a bit longer, and in one or two places it came close to being a bit hackneyed (though, in fairness, if any ideas were being over-done, they were his own) - but he had a stage presence, a good delivery, and he put on a good show. Like I say, I really enjoyed it. He's living off past glories, for sure, but I thought it would be a case of just going through the motions. Not so. Another point - he was headlining at a primarily neo-folk night: I wonder how he would have fared at something like UFoI, or a Tesco festival, for example? Did it seem good just because it contrasted to the stuff beforehand (which I also enjoyed), or would it have stood alongside the Genocide Organs of this world? I think the former, myself. Nevertheless, it was a good mix of bands, and it worked well.

So, having been huge fan 25 years ago, it was good to finally get to see him live, and to meet him. As has been mentioned, he's definitely a nice guy - possibly bordering on being a bit washed up at this stage, though less so than some of his contemporaries, it has to be said. He has a new single on OEC which is OK - nothing amazing - and apparently Mute are due to release one of some drones he's done.  I didn't listen to "Back To Mono" a lot, though it's not at all bad. I listen to the VOD box more. Sort of sums it up.

absurdexposition

Agreed with Mikko's prior comments about Z'ev collab not being that interesting. I still haven't checked out Back to Mono.

To me it just seems like he's a bit full of himself, or at least sharing too much personal information on social media, and it was kind of getting to a ridiculous point several years ago (around the time of this thread starting, I suppose), especially when there was the open online falling out between him and Douglas Pearce. Unfollowing him on social media has enabled me to once again appreciate his work without his incessant apparent egotism getting in the way.

Was thinking of him earlier today (nice coincidence that this thread was revived) in that I'd like to read his Twilight Man book again. Lent it to a "friend" years ago and now it's gone (and fetching high prices online). I remember it being a good, funny, read. Recently read his interview in the Industrial Culture Handbook, and copped the VOD box set which was enjoyable. Due for a re-read of Standing in Two Circles and a re-watch of Iconoclast, I suppose. Also listened to the Bob Larsen radio show with Boyd and Michael Moynihan the other day. Moynihan was such a little shit there (Bob: Any last words, Michael? Moynihan: Hail Victory, Bob.)
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

GEWALTMONOPOL

Quote from: burdizzo on May 09, 2017, 11:47:57 PMI wonder how he would have fared at something like UFoI

For representing exactly the kind of past it nostalgia act I despise I can confirm that UFoI wouldn't touch him with a bargepole. He'd be welcome to buy a ticket but he wouldn't have a hope getting on the bill.
Först när du blottar strupen ska du få nåd, ditt as...