Haus Arafna

Started by ConcreteMascara, March 31, 2010, 10:09:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ConcreteMascara

So I'm new to this group and I was curious for any recommendations. I've heard a couple of tracks off of their first album which I really liked, especially Swastika Kommando and He Colored Me Blind. Any releases I should look for in particular/stay away from?
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

bogskaggmannen

I think they have consistently followed a red line through their "carreer". From the first album "Blut" more traditional german power electronics to the last one, was it "Butterfly"? That one was more minimal synth to me. Too bad many of the Galakthorrö-groups sounds very much the same these days. There were a bit more diversion in the earlier years with Nightmarish and Karl Runau's works.

Ritual

They haven't done that many releases so far. Three albums and a few singles, which are collected on the singles collection. In my opinion all releases are good. There is nothing to avoid. However, the third album, Butterfly, is a bit softer and more melodic than the earlier material. In some ways Butterfly resembles the first album of side project November Növelet. I think Butterfly is a great album, but if you're after the more aggressive sound of the first album it may not be to your liking.

I think the weakest Haus Arafna material so far has been the tracks on the Kosmoloko compilation.

I'd recommend getting the second album "Children of God" as soon as possible! It's the best album, in my opinion, and makes for a good combination of the early PE sound and the more typical Galakthorrö minimal synth/industrial sound.

P-K

Quote from: bogskaggmannen on March 31, 2010, 10:43:17 AMToo bad many of the Galakthorrö-groups sounds very much the same these days. There were a bit more diversion in the earlier years with Nightmarish and Karl Runau's works.

wel, the Hermann Kopp was a nice surprise imho :-)

Ritual

Quote from: P-K on March 31, 2010, 10:49:55 AM
Quote from: bogskaggmannen on March 31, 2010, 10:43:17 AMToo bad many of the Galakthorrö-groups sounds very much the same these days. There were a bit more diversion in the earlier years with Nightmarish and Karl Runau's works.

wel, the Hermann Kopp was a nice surprise imho :-)
Yeah, and Subliminal also sticks out a bit, I think.

ConcreteMascara

Thanks for the suggestions.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

tiny_tove

I actually met mr Kopp in Barcelona last year, really nice guy.

Big fan of almost everything Galakto released, including Butterfly, especially the first three tracks. But Children of God is still the highest quality production soundwise and as design.
Something that has always really impressed me was the contrast of digital editing with minimal/strong images. Texts are direct, yet never cheesy.
Definitely owning their own personality.

I also love November Novelet, the first CD was stuck in my cd player for months.
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

ONE

Forgive the resurrection, but this is the only thread on Haus Arafna the search option offered.

I came to Arafna very late - I've only been aware of them for five or six years.  I was put onto them after starting a thread on a dead forum asking for PE/noise tips w/ - for want of a better phrase - meaningful vocals.  I may be considered a traditionalist in this respect, but I've little time for any vox that are either trite or unintelligible/buried under layers of mud etc.. or, more commonly excessive FX.  It wasn't always the case, I suspect I've listened to as much Brutal Truth as the next freak; but sitting here now in my mid-forties, I'm glad I've found the desire to demand more from lyrical content.

Haus Arana never once disappointed me in this respect.  I got great mileage from the early/traditional PE outings and thought all maintained a high aesthetic, upto and including Butterfly.

To contradict the poster who aired dissatisfaction at the first Kosmoloko compilation, I always found After All These Years simple and thrilling.

For me the band came into their own when Mr Arafna eased back on the rage-fits and actually started to sing.  I find his regular singing voice rather beautiful.  There are exceptions, Colony Collapse from You, w/ it's old school delivery brings me close to ecstacy.

I thought You enormously consistent - and greatly enjoyed the last album Rhapsody In New York.  I'm glad Mrs Arafna now has a greater crack of the whip re: vocal duties.

I'm very much attracted to those that change their style over time; and much prefer the more EBM orientated material - as I think it suits their sound better.

And yes, I also agree that time listening to November Növelet is time well spent. 

Does anyone else have time for their (Haus Arafna's) later material?  I imagine there are few takers here.

resist the things you can find everywhere

shearling

This is excellent, I am new to the group as well

BlackHole

All of their material is outstanding. "You" and "Children Of God" are probably my favorite albums.