DARK AMBIENT

Started by bogskaggmannen, March 29, 2010, 10:53:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eyestrain

Quote from: Andrew McIntosh on November 26, 2014, 05:11:58 PM
Quote from: pentd on January 06, 2014, 03:31:45 AM
i wonder if harry bertoia's music counts as dark ambient..... its not really "happy" either, and it has loong vibrations and pulses.  it hasnt got any hobbitt connection either. still i find it spiritual, too! recommended!

Important Records are going to re-release his material next year in a box set (not sure what format). Good old Ubuweb has had Bertoia's material available online as mp3 for a couple of years but I've got to confess I'm getting this thing when it comes out even if it is only on vinyl. The promo video is exciting enough.

Very excited for this box too...whatever the format, agreed!

I live about ten minutes from Harry's barn. Always wanted to visit, but $100 a person....

Zeno Marx

I hope that Bertoia is a CD box.  It seems Important has been successful with the other CD boxes, so I hope that pushes them in that direction.  An 11-15xLP box is just silly at this point.
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

acsenger

I think the text with the Youtube trailer says the Bertoia box will be an 11 CD box with what sounded like a massive book.

Andrew McIntosh

Price wise, it would probably be the only option for that many releases. I think it's fantastic music/sound and would want to get such a release in whatever format but yea, I also hope they'll stick to cd at least and imagine that due to cost, they will.

Quote from: eyestrain on November 26, 2014, 08:10:00 PM
I live about ten minutes from Harry's barn. Always wanted to visit, but $100 a person....

Yea, and I understand the vinyl albums they sell are something like fourty dollars each? Something ridiculous. I know a small operation has to make enough money to keep going, but still.

Apparently his widow, Val, is also doing sound sculptures?
Shikata ga nai.

Zeno Marx

The new Yen Pox is very good.  It's better than New Dark Age by a long shot, but isn't quite as pure, though.  It's busier; dare say even bordering on death industrial.  I'm liking the additional elements a lot.

https://malignantrecs.bandcamp.com/album/between-the-horizon-and-the-abyss
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: Zeno Marx on May 28, 2015, 11:30:49 PM
The new Yen Pox is very good.  It's better than New Dark Age by a long shot, but isn't quite as pure, though.  It's busier; dare say even bordering on death industrial.  I'm liking the additional elements a lot.

https://malignantrecs.bandcamp.com/album/between-the-horizon-and-the-abyss

i'm in love with the cover art
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

anomalie

Yen Pox. Yes.

I'm surprised by the darkness of the latest Sphäre Sechs album.
Really dig that one too.

https://malignantrecs.bandcamp.com/album/enceladus

Artwork done by the same artist as latest Yen Pox.

jadderly

Quote from: anomalie on May 30, 2015, 02:10:44 AM
I'm surprised by the darkness of the latest Sphäre Sechs album.
Really dig that one too.

https://malignantrecs.bandcamp.com/album/enceladus

I got this in my last Malignant order. Well done for the most part, but lacking in any sort of personality or distinguishing elements to make it really stand out. I picked up False Mirror's "Derelict World" in the same order and it's a much more satisfying release IMHO. Word is there is a new FM album in the pipeline.

AMRadioWaveMessage

I never see Sigilum S mentioned in dark ambient circles, which is a shame, because I cannot think of a better example of the genre.

ProzacPatrol

One current obsession in Dark Ambient/Power Electronics is the new Skander Ruin tape. Im surprised there has been little to no discussion.

jadderly

Quote from: AMRadioWaveMessage on March 21, 2016, 02:19:51 AM
I never see Sigilum S mentioned in dark ambient circles, which is a shame, because I cannot think of a better example of the genre.

What are their best releases in your opinion? I have several on deck to listen to, but haven't gotten around to them.

Bleak Existence

was never into dark ambient but liked some work from Inade and other similar german

totalabuse

my DRIFT collection ...

Zeno Marx

Can anyone give insight into Phelios and that crew?  I like that he uses big tribal drums, but I don't think he uses them nearly enough.  Also think he has a good sense of timing and movement, but his tones aren't as dark, or maybe as deep or complex, as I'd like.  There's a thinness, or plasticity, to them that is more new age than dark ambient, and this stuff is clearly not new age.  For me, it's a hurdle.  I like what he's doing, but I could very easily love it with a tweak that way or this way.  He's so close.  Almost dark ambient.  Feel the same about Sphäre Sechs.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.