SPECIAL INTERESTS #8 (september 2012)

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, September 05, 2012, 10:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikerdeath

Walked 2 1/2 miles from work to Joe Crawl Unit's magazine shop in oakland to get this magazine.

My first impressions are mixed, but overall the arrangement, packaging, and content is professional. It fit in perfectly at the magazine boutique. I showed it to my roomate and he said the iphone scan thing on the cold spring add on the back cover was lame, I have to agree with him. But I want that Sleep Research Facility CD, talk about field recordings...

Michael Esposito did a show in the bay area recently, I don't remember. I saw it advertised and wanted to go but I just missed it. He's doing a collab set with Vertonen this month, that should be excellent. Just purchased his collaboration with Francisco Meirino, very much looking forward to "milking that for all its worth."

Since Rudolf Eb.er did the artwork for this issue, It would have been great to see him also write some lines in the "Field Recordings" article.

Loved some of the many sections of the Loke Rahbek article! Excellent stuff. "You don't put that much energy in things that you would put when living in a place where nobody would take care of you" Especially Influence Of Artists

"It is difficult because none of them nothing to do with the sound, but the atmosphere these men were creating during their time, you get a feeling of necessity and seriousness about their work that noise music is lacking too often"

US Bestial Forces compilation review, I really loved it and agreed with it even though it was hard to stomach at points. Im glad I was left out of it, although It would have been encouraging to be included in it I liked that it starts with a positive hook: "As document of scene, as document of 2010'ish movement in USA, where power electronics has had massive uprise, US Bestial Forces is excellent." and then turns negative and pretty much stays that way: "However it would be simply foolish to think that vast majority of these bands could pull out interesting album that could be lined up in level of cult classics, or even contemporary highlights of genre"
Ouch! But yeah.
I could go on with the criticisms that were spot on, but instead I feel like I could take this opportunity to state, for the record, that the Striations track came from excerpts of 2 separate live recordings. I added the intro sample and the outro piece was recorded separately in my garage, again with amplifiers and a tape player. Things are progressing beyond that. But if listening to so much of TAINT's work has taught me anything, its convinced me to "stop complaining and make due with what you have."
The "Newbie" bands on this comp that play live, regularly, are the ones to watch out for in the future. I took this review as an honest counterpart to the Heathen Harvest review, which I also enjoyed when it came out.
"Cunting Daughters who's noise and vocals sound piss weak after Nyodene D's heavily produced assault" I remember this moment too when I first listened. One of the major faults of this comp is, unfortunately, quality control.
"Slogun trademark vocal delivery simply instantly makes band stand out from everybody else" Best track of the comp. Imagine a new slogun b-card release.
"Heavy Breathing has perhaps slightly more interesting textures than many others" Heavy Breathing fucking rules. They have earned their spot in the last sentence of the "highlights."

"Is this really what I want to do and hear, or do I simply settle on substitute?" A constant problem for everyone no matter where you are from or how old you are. The final forms are all we have to judge the work by. But every individual is completely different and has a story to tell about why they are doing what they do, some of them set the conditions right, while others do not, and their work could reflect this.
The technology critique is a nice touch!
This is key:
"notice how you can get lured into bullshit if you don't constantly consciously challenge what you're doing!"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timbre

This magazine is obviously the product of some very thought out and developed work on all parties involved, as a fan of this music, I fucking appreciate their efforts.

FreakAnimalFinland

"It is difficult because none of them nothing to do with the sound, but the atmosphere these men were creating during their time, you get a feeling of necessity and seriousness about their work that noise music is lacking too often"

There is one very big mistake with this issue. Loke Rahbek interview file was actually OLD and uncorrected piece. Process was, that we did meet twice in Copenhagen. First made the basis of interview and next time I prepared additional questions. Both of these conversations was done as live recording.
Levas (Terror) did transcribing job and I edited interview text and mailed to Loke to be proofread by himself. Sentences he wishes to rephrase clearer or make adjustments. And he did. And added plenty more comments - about his work and art etc...

Then when doing lay-out, I used file what appeared to be ready - but didn't realize there was the actual corrected file under other name (SI8-Loke-interview = wrong, "LRsi8-first-correction" = right)...  It's not the end of the world, but this version is result of transcribed talking. Certainly his corrected version would have been more coherent and also more extensive. I have toyed with idea of posting final version online as file, for those who want more. But version what is in magazine, in my personal opinion, is very good as it is...
E-mail: fanimal +a+ cfprod,com
MAGAZINE: http://www.special-interests.net
LABEL / DISTRIBUTION: FREAK ANIMAL http://www.nhfastore.net

Brad

Quote from: absurdexposition on October 03, 2012, 06:10:26 AM
damn. they were updating the PayPal API of Store Envy the other day and noted there may be some issues, if you try again now it should work. if it happens in the future just send and email and we'll do the transaction that way :)

It still doesn't work for me. 

absurdexposition

hm, shit, that's strange. we've had a couple orders this month since you noted the problem, might be an issue with prepaid cards... if you want to try and send $8.86 to screamandwrithe [at] gmail ]dot[ com we can see if it'll work that way

to contribute to the thread: issue is good. feels like less pages as noted by someone else, but aesthetically the binding adds a lot. Rudolf Eb Er art looks great on a harder stock cover. haven't had time to dig into much of the articles yet, though.
Primitive Isolation Tactics
Scream & Writhe distro and Absurd Exposition label
Montreal, QC
https://www.screamandwrithe.com

scumwalski

All in all, issue #8 was a nice read. Would certainly appreciate more pages (ie. more content).

The interview with Tommi Keranen was a highlight of the issue for me. Having had the pleasure of meeting him in person, reading about his thoughts on various issues was interesting.

Considering my personal taste in music, I'd love to see more harsh noise-related content, especially interviews.

Lazrs3

I have discovered Special interests in the last year and bought a few issues including this one, I really enjoy it and see how it has got better with each issue, I particularly enjoy the Essentials section as it gives me things to chase up and listen to.

Intothered

for US buyers who want to save on shipping, issues 7 & 8 can be found at www.unseenforcetapes.storenvy.com
unseen force label & distro
+++
www.ufmailorder.com
www.unseenforcenoise.bandcamp.com

online prowler

Bought issue 8 from Turgid distro a while ago. Professional execution. There seem to be a subtle shift in direction of the zine going on. Interesting. New section with influential books I see as natural progression. Informative and down to earth interviews. Interesting selection of artists and viewpoints. Overall a very good publication, but felt a bit "thin". An overall increase in pages would not hurt. I gladly pay a couple of Euros extra for that. Looking forward to the next issue.

Note: From here and onwards every single time I hear - or read something re Keränen, I will think only of him as the guy who have a 12" of Jean-Claude Eloy's "Gaku-no-Michi" (1979).    

FreakAnimalFinland

online prowler

Remember reading that. I think this is a good choice and probably natural as well. Did you enlarge the font size a bit in issue 8?

I think the feeling of issue 8 being "thin" is not only connected to the content is presented inside or number of pages, but it also connected to the the material used. I am thinking of the more harder/thicker outwards cover - which is an excellent choice - in conjuxtapostion to the interior pages. Looking at this visually the outer cover in conjunction to the inner pages makes the zine be perceived as thin. This is more of an observation from my part. A good zine should always leave one hungry for more. This is one of the qualites SPI still holds up.  

FreakAnimalFinland

In early issues of SI, font was tahoma 6. When page size became bigger, it was increased to 6,5 and 7, depending on case. I think 6 is quite small, but 7 works just fine.

In some cases, there was little bit more air on page. Lets say 4 or 5mm between colums, instead of 3mm. And was there interviews where is one extra row of blank after question, instead of this solid block of text all the time...

There is not really any other "direction" with SI, than hoping to create longer and deeper interviews. Early days short pieces are gone. I think upcoming issue, interviews tend to be 6-10 pages per interview...  What comes to musical styles, it's pure randomness. There is always bunch of planned interviews what do not happen, and each issue line-up eventually just becomes something which is not entirely planned.  Next issue will have quite wide scale. From lesser known harsh noise to experimental artists known even from release on Sony/Columbia, hah!

Soloman Tump

Any copies of this issue still for sale anywhere?