THE VOMIT ARSONIST - Go Without CD

Started by andy vomit, August 06, 2012, 05:24:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad

Malignant either hasn't added it yet, or sold out of it immediately while I wasn't looking.

tiny_tove

I sm so looking forward to this.
samples sounds excellent.
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

assemblyofhatred

Malignant Records already in stock now !!! Get it NOW !!!

andy vomit

thevomitarsonist.wordpress.com
danversstaterecordings.blogspot.com

andy vomit

review from plague haus
http://www.plaguehaus.com/home/2012/10/08/the-vomit-arsonist-go-without/

More and more my reviews seem to begin with reasons why I rarely write them anymore, so I'll continue that trend. As public outlets become more readily available to anyone who chooses to call themselves an artists, it becomes a Herculean task to separate the wheat from the chaff. After awhile it all runs together, this weeks favorite takes it's place at the bottom of the pile, possibly never to be heard again or recycled through some secondary emporium. The Industrial/Noise/PE genres are as guilty as most, possibly tying Metal for sheer per week volume of release. For me, one that continues to rise above the din is The Vomit Arsonist, choosing the path of quality over quantity.

It's been roughly three years since the last full length, with a handful of splits and EP's in between. While never having been accused of being a ray of sunshine, "Go Without" is more dark and oppressive than most of the previous output, and I mean that in the best possible way. According to the man behind the curtain, Andrew Grant (who also runs the Danvers State Recordings label as well as being half of the PE duo Bereft), the album was influenced by the play and recently a film written by Cormac McCarthy, "The Sunset Limited". I rented the film myself on Grant's advice and was completely blown away. The entire thing is basically Mr. Black, played by Samuel L. Jackson, debating Mr. White, played by Tommy Lee Jones, on the existence of God, human suffering and why Mr. White should continue living after Mr. Black intercedes on his suicide attempt. It's extremely powerful and I definitely feel the connection in this work. The track "The Futility Of Life" even includes a sample of the film. I will let the listener take a wild guess on which side of the line the album sits.

One of the things I appreciate most about Mr. Grant's work is his ability to blend melody within the typical harsh, Power Electronics song structure. Beneath the metallic rhythms, strains of feedback and shouted vocals is an eerie beauty. He's like the Doom Metal equivalent to PE. This doesn't apply to all of the tracks, there are some that are more akin to in your face aggression, but still maintain that simmering just below the surface quality I've come to know and love from VA. Let's face it, virtually anyone can thump a bunch of effects pedals and scream, but it takes a bit of thought to construct a song.

In my mind there are a handful of American acts that continue to blur the lines between Death Industrial and Power Electronics as well as push the boundaries of both: Bereft, Steel Hook Prostheses (member John Stillings mastered this release), Navicon Torture Technologies/Theologian.  The Vomit Arsonist of course fits snugly into this group. It's one of the few projects I look forward to hearing from and will continue to follow. Listen and judge for yourself.

andy vomit

i believe the 3" CD-R version is currently en route to the label.  it would have been out much sooner, but the original package got lost in the mail, apparently.  no actual release date yet..

andy vomit

heathen harvest review
http://heathenharvest.org/2012/10/15/the-vomit-arsonist-go-without/

This release by Andy Grant's noise project The Vomit Arsonist is very thoughtfully composed and presented, representing the most focused and singular assault of Industrial noise from TVA to date. This release in particular is a pro-CD put out by the Assembly Of Hatred label from China... rare to see Power Electronics releases coming from that particular country. Assembly Of Hatred is the label of long-time Chinese Power Electronics artist Crow, who is behind the project Hatred In Eyes. The Assembly Of Hatred label has been around for quite some time, and I remember being quite surprised at its existence because I had just read an article about the Chinese government torturing people to death (and harvesting their organs) for having pictures of the Dalai Llama... However, the work of Hatred In Eyes in particular is more of a conservative angle, he screams in his work about being pissed off about immigration and so forth, and so I suppose this is not as much of a threat to the government as a photograph of an elderly smiling bald man might be. Anyway, the AOH label has presented work in the past by Xenophobic Ejaculation and some other power electronics luminaries, and The Vomit Arsonist is a good next choice for a full-length cd release.

Rather than the more womb-like and synthesizer/feedback based older material, on this release Andy fleshes out the ambience very nicely with an assortment of moods and textures, mostly of a harsh Industrial angle. In fact, more so than on previous releases I think I detect somewhat of a concentrated influence from the Texas Industrial group Steel Hook Prosthesis... in this case it is a welcome flavor to the overall Vomit Arsonist palette because he definitely does his own thing with is. There is a lot of rhythmic percussive sounds with a strong tribal feel, sounds of steam releasing and factory hisses rounding things out. The whole release has an incredibly stark and cold feel to it that will strongly appeal to fans of European Industrial/PE sort of sounds. I have caught The Vomit Arsonist live a few times, and as the years have gone on his sets have become more involved and intricately composed, and this release reflects a good direction for future material from this project. As a whole, the presentation is extremely well thought-out and coherent, with very nice depressive photography by Desiree Delorge of an abandoned (and now destroyed) mental institution.

The main theme of the release is very personal, and seems to be based around the idea of mental processes and the use of psychiatric drugs. Although bleak and tortured in its presentation, the driving message behind the release is leaving behind a dependence on outside things and curing yourself using the power within yourself... a theme of personal responsibility and self-awareness that is quite commendable. The vocals sound very upfront but are still perfectly mixed with the sounds, a nice balanced sound. There is a strong feeling of darkness and decay on this release, but it is flavored with a drive for survival against insanity and self-deception that many listeners can relate to. This is a release that will definitely come as a pleasant listen for those folks looking for some good Cold Meat Industry-style Industrial coming from this hard-core Yankee noiseman. If all of this sounds appealing to you, you could do much worse than picking up a copy of this one. Limited to 500 copies, nice professional CD in a trim case with a small three page booklet... looks good and the sound mastering is top notch. Worth a listen for Industrial and PE fans, a little darker and more subtle sounds from Vomit Arsonist here.

Rating: 4.5/5

andy vomit

existence establishment review: http://existest.org/ee_v3/?p=5876

This marks The Vomit Arsonist' second proper CD release but with a slew of other impressive releases the project is building quite a portfolio. Go Without is presented in a classy digipak with very dark artwork mostly in black and white. Photos include abandoned industrial places, and possibly an MRI scan on the front? Not sure what the significance of the cover art is but it at least is quite intriguing.

What you can find within is the most completely hopeless and bleak death industrial atmospheres with many tracks featuring power electronic vocals layered on top or depressing spoken samples. The music is generally a mix of distorted synth drones and industrial clangs and bangs.

The weird thing about Go Without – as with most of The Vomit Arsonist's material – is that the production leans toward the quiet side while still being very heavy and aggressive. The reason is because there is so much low-end here that the other frequencies tend to have less impact as a result. I can say with confidence that this is intended though, because when you listen to this record on a system with a subwoofer it opens up a whole new realm of detail.

The most effective tracks here are "Drown" with its plodding industrial rhythm, and of course the title track with a pummelling barrage of explosive bass attacks coupled with a thick core of bassy distortion and seething vocals. Making a great closer is "When There Is No One Left To Blame, I Must Blame Myself" which has a great ending. For the first time the oppressive distortion dies down to only offer seething dark ambience with the last of the vocals echoing into emptiness. Industrial shifting still lights the way until we are finally left in total darkness.

Overall Go Without is a valiant effort by one of America's premiere death industrial acts. The Vomit Arsonist continues to spread his unwaveringly nihilistic vision and aesthetic in this plodding return.

andy vomit

limited edition version available now, includes an extra 3" CD-R and an embroidered patch.  limited to 100 copies.

$20ppd US // $22ppd WORLD
paypal: thevomitarsonist (AT) gmail (DOT) com

andy vomit

musique machine review

"Suitably gritty, coarse and harsh, verging on the painful when necessary and on the profound and reflective when called for, the material exudes a kind of compositional evidence that is the mark of the greats and has made the band a household name in the US scene. Add to that a convincing vocal delivery and what you're left with is a serious contender for anyone's end-of-year, top-ten death-industrial listing."

full review here:  http://www.musiquemachine.com/reviews/reviews_template.php?id=4144

andy vomit

zero tolerance (uk) review:

"This is the kind of record that makes you worry for the artist's mental state. Imagining the toll upon the person who has created something as truly fucking bleak as "Go Without" is enough to ruin your week. Taking its core ideals from a source as negative/terrifyingly self-aware as Cormac Mccarthy's "The Sunset Limited" was never going to be an easy ride. This suicide-note-heavy combination of industrial noise and death-infected soundscapes is about as pleasurable as nihilism is ever going to get. [4]"