GUITAR NOISE

Started by FreakAnimalFinland, March 18, 2010, 09:57:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ConcreteMascara

Masahiko Ohno / SOLMANIA my vote for king(s) of guitar noise with Jojo Hiroshige being the only other real choice.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Duncan

Bloated Slutbag

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on June 09, 2020, 06:23:05 PM
Masahiko Ohno / SOLMANIA my vote for king(s) of guitar noise with Jojo Hiroshige being the only other real choice.

Was going to mention Solmania but best thought that should be left to SI's resident Solmaniac, above. Just waiting for Dear Leader to namecheck Diesel Gui- ooops!

Trying to remember who was supposed to have modified Hiroshige's guitar. Was it Ohno?
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

Baglady

Quote from: Duncan on June 09, 2020, 06:32:34 PM
Schakalens Bror

Unsung local guitar hero. I am very very biased, of course, but I dare say not too many are doing what he does nowadays. Improvised live gutter guitar mayhem. There are some releases where he has experimented with tape sounds and some overdubbing/layering, but most of them are pure guitar noise. His live shows are always excellent and intense, which is hard to match on tape/record. It sometimes works very well though. The LP on Förlag För Fri Musik is great, and I'm also very fond of this tape which I released a couple of years ago:

https://schakalensbror.bandcamp.com/album/overdrive

Neithan

I am huge fan of Thurston Moore, Kristof Hahn (what he does with his lapsteel is incredible), Glenn Branca (I think he was not mentioned earlier) and Keiji Haino.

ConcreteMascara

Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on June 10, 2020, 05:56:40 AM

Was going to mention Solmania but best thought that should be left to SI's resident Solmaniac, above. Just waiting for Dear Leader to namecheck Diesel Gui- ooops!

Trying to remember who was supposed to have modified Hiroshige's guitar. Was it Ohno?

Resident Solmaniac, little old me? Why thank you! I don't think I'll have earned that until I've got their logo tattooed on my arm.

This is such a broad topic and I guess most of us missed the mark because Balor's original question asked for new guitar noise... Did he mean new artists or new to him?

Maybe the important question is what kind of guitar noise do you want? Rock & Roll informed, droning, harsh obfuscation to the point of the guitar being lost, or clearly skronky guitar licks? It looks like the last page and a half of posts covered all of those. SILVUM as per usual shows of his extensive knowledge of Japanese noise and psych.

I didn't include Haino/Fushitsusha in my answer because Haino and Fushitsusha stand alone in my book, and encompass so many things. Probably best to check the PSF thread and playlist thread for more thoughtful recommendations in that psych/avant realm.

http://www.special-interests.net/forum/index.php?topic=2336.0

As Mr. Peterson showed me last year, you can basically trace all noise rock to Velvet Underground's "Sister Ray". So I guess there's noise rock guitar and noise (using guitar)... or maybe that's an oversimplification?

As for "new" I guess I don't know shit. All my money and recording hunting time is stuck in OOP Japanese stuff right now.
[death|trigger|impulse]

http://soundcloud.com/user-658220512

Balor/SS1535

Quote from: ConcreteMascara on June 10, 2020, 06:35:03 PM
Quote from: Bloated Slutbag on June 10, 2020, 05:56:40 AM

Resident Solmaniac, little old me? Why thank you! I don't think I'll have earned that until I've got their logo tattooed on my arm.

This is such a broad topic and I guess most of us missed the mark because Balor's original question asked for new guitar noise... Did he mean new artists or new to him?

Maybe the important question is what kind of guitar noise do you want? Rock & Roll informed, droning, harsh obfuscation to the point of the guitar being lost, or clearly skronky guitar licks? It looks like the last page and a half of posts covered all of those. SILVUM as per usual shows of his extensive knowledge of Japanese noise and psych.

I didn't include Haino/Fushitsusha in my answer because Haino and Fushitsusha stand alone in my book, and encompass so many things. Probably best to check the PSF thread and playlist thread for more thoughtful recommendations in that psych/avant realm.

http://www.special-interests.net/forum/index.php?topic=2336.0

As Mr. Peterson showed me last year, you can basically trace all noise rock to Velvet Underground's "Sister Ray". So I guess there's noise rock guitar and noise (using guitar)... or maybe that's an oversimplification?

As for "new" I guess I don't know shit. All my money and recording hunting time is stuck in OOP Japanese stuff right now.

New to me, new in general - both are great.  The posts above have given me a ton to look into!

Bruitiste

Matthew Bower of Skullflower

WCN

HAARE / SAVAGE GOSPEL!!!
Harsh Noise label and EU based distro of American Imports
https://whitecentipedenoise.com/

Zeno Marx

No AMM thread.  Could be in the Free Jazz thread.  Unfortunate and sad news.  I was unaware he had Parkinson's.

Keith Rowe - Absence 2021
https://erstwhilerecords.bandcamp.com/album/absence

"November 2015 marked the end of the first year of living with Parkinson's. During that year the right hand tremor was becoming more and more uncontrollable, to the point I could not conceive of how in the future I could manage solo performances. During that year I had experimented with different anti-shaking set-ups, in attempts to work around the tremor caused by stress and anxiety of performing solos.

Retirement, or stepping away, is difficult and painful. It requires a
recognition of certain realities, that you are not important, that the
world does not care that you have stopped performing solos, actually the world does not notice that you have stopped, life outside your bubble continues, get used to it, you are not at the centre of anything. A part of the reality is to try not to leave a big mess for others to tidy up after you have left the departure lounge, retirement is an opportunity where you are able to discard all the junk you've accumulated.

I want to share with you a recording of that 33 mins solo from Bern before it too departs for the dustbin. An important moment in the solo is at 12:10 thru 12:21 where the Parkinson's tremor frequency (around 300bpm) can be heard, and it's around this moment I decide not to solo again.
"
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Andrew McIntosh

Quote from: Zeno Marx on July 12, 2021, 07:45:40 PM
No AMM thread.  Could be in the Free Jazz thread.  Unfortunate and sad news.  I was unaware he had Parkinson's.

Keith Rowe - Absence 2021
https://erstwhilerecords.bandcamp.com/album/absence

"November 2015 marked the end of the first year of living with Parkinson's. During that year the right hand tremor was becoming more and more uncontrollable, to the point I could not conceive of how in the future I could manage solo performances. During that year I had experimented with different anti-shaking set-ups, in attempts to work around the tremor caused by stress and anxiety of performing solos.

Retirement, or stepping away, is difficult and painful. It requires a
recognition of certain realities, that you are not important, that the
world does not care that you have stopped performing solos, actually the world does not notice that you have stopped, life outside your bubble continues, get used to it, you are not at the centre of anything. A part of the reality is to try not to leave a big mess for others to tidy up after you have left the departure lounge, retirement is an opportunity where you are able to discard all the junk you've accumulated.

I want to share with you a recording of that 33 mins solo from Bern before it too departs for the dustbin. An important moment in the solo is at 12:10 thru 12:21 where the Parkinson's tremor frequency (around 300bpm) can be heard, and it's around this moment I decide not to solo again.
"

Going off the topic here, but I can't help mention I am a very big fan of his "Duos for Doris" recording with John Tilbury. A great pity about his illness - Life shows no mercy.
Shikata ga nai.

Fistfuck Masonanie

I wouldn't consider this album a guitar noise album per say, but Fitte by Golden Serenades has a lot of obvious guitar based sounds. It's excellent and recently reissued by Phage Tapes. Dense and sharp and cuts in all the right ways. Very very good noise and a great example of how to use a guitar to shred in a noise-based scenario. Do their other albums have the same focus on guitar sounds?

Need to dig through their back catalogue a bit, looks like it's difficult to find a US based copy of the Testicle Hazard split currently but if anyone is selling, let me know!

Baglady

Quote from: Fistfuck Masonanie on December 24, 2021, 02:01:52 AM
I wouldn't consider this album a guitar noise album per say, but Fitte by Golden Serenades has a lot of obvious guitar based sounds. It's excellent and recently reissued by Phage Tapes. Dense and sharp and cuts in all the right ways. Very very good noise and a great example of how to use a guitar to shred in a noise-based scenario. Do their other albums have the same focus on guitar sounds?

I'm positive they involved guitars in pretty much all their recordings, but it's more in focus on a few of them. The Swan cassette (Abisko, 2005) is a good example, if memory serves, as is the Hammond Pops (+3b Records, 2009) disc. The latter obviously has the hammond organ as the main ingredient, but guitars play an important part on it as well. Amazing band, Golden Serenades. Every release is great.

Speaking of Norway, Lasse Marhaugs two sibling works, The Great Silence (Troniks/Pacrec, 2007) and The Quiet North (Second Layer, 2010), both rely alot on guitars. One album majestic, the other seriously harsh. Superb discs as well, but you all know that.
Marhaug has used guitar since he started out, so these are just two fine examples off the top of my head. There's alot of great, more or less pure, guitar noise scattered throughout his discography.