Fire + Ice

Started by D. Davis, August 06, 2012, 07:25:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D. Davis

Heard rumors of an album seeing the light of day this year...?! Anybody seen Ian Read on any of these recent shows that he's been playing? Looking for the word.

Stridulum

I saw him a couple times last year, while he was supporting Death in June on their (his) 30th anniversary tour. Very good shows, the both of 'em, very calm and short but also very emotional. He mentioned there was a new album in the works, so yes, I suppose it's going to be released soon. There's also a vinyl repress of "Rûna" happening soon, early september if I'm not mistaken.

Bondage Culture

"Rûna", Ian Read's Master-Work of Lore for the Rune-Gild will be reissued for the first time on vinyl, by the French label Autre Que.
For this major and unique album in Fire+Ice's discography, a bespoke piece of art has been specially painted by the talented Czech artist Jan Fibiger.

Release date: 3rd September 2012
300 copies on heavy black vinyl
Price: 15€ (+ shipping)

More information: www.autreque.fr

Goat93

Great, do you take already Pre Orders?

Zeno Marx

I hope any reissues of this band get better USA distribution than Birdking.   Took me a while to like the vocals, but now I'm a fan (same with Andrew King).

some live recordings I've picked up along the way:
1998-11-28.aud.master.Bucha.flac
1999-05-23.aud.master.Leipzig.flac
2009-05-29.aud.Leipzig.flac
"the overindulgent machines were their children"
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

Stridulum

To me, Birdking is one of the very best "neofolk" albums ever. I had never been a huge fan of F+I's music before that, liked it but not THAT much, but Birdking totally floored me when it came out. The vinyl version looks very nice too.

tiny_tove

I think Birdking was their second best after the amazing debut record - Gilded by the sun, a real milestone in the genre, not one ugly song, and some total classics like "Lord lanking" , "Ljósálfar" and "Blood of the snow".
the sound itself is very very different than most acoustic projects back then, much darker, with a heavy atmosphere, somehow unsettling.

Birdking anyway featured some masperpieces' like Leviathan's "The Lady of the Vanir", which is definitely one of my favourite acoustic tracks ever.
This is possibly one of the last records in the so-called neo-folk realm that I consider perfect.

CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

emboscado

'Birdking' far surpasses -in the musical aspect, at least- 'Gilded by the sun' for me. Not a surprise since half of the album is composed by the Cashmore genius and the rest are colaborations with the other big ones in darkfolk genre.

Texts are however equal important on both releases...
e m b o s c a d o

Black_Angkar

Gilded by the sun is probably my fav neofolk record. The basilisk abode being one of the greatest 80's tracks overall. I also only enjoyed Sol invictus on the tracks where Ian was singing. I am always captivated by any works of this superb singer.

tiny_tove

"Black Easter" is possibly another of those 10 versions...

Also the cover released on the SOL tribute was impressive.
CALIGULA031 - WERTHAM - FORESTA DI FERRO
instagram: @ANTICITIZEN
http://elettronicaradicale.bandcamp.com
telegram for updated list: https://t.me/+03nSMe2c6AFmMTk0

Zeno Marx

How's the new live album?  Specifically, how's the recording quality?  Live folk recordings can be stunning.  Hoping that's the case here.
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

burdizzo

What new live one? I presume you mean the Portuguese LP? If so, yes, the quality is excellent - though it is a few years old now.

Actually, I had Read over w/ Andrew King to do a folk set here in Ireland in the summer. It went down very well, although we had a small enough crowd. All traditional stuff - King in particular accomplished himself excellently.

Zeno Marx

Quote from: burdizzo on December 13, 2017, 12:48:07 AM
What new live one? I presume you mean the Portuguese LP? If so, yes, the quality is excellent - though it is a few years old now.

Actually, I had Read over w/ Andrew King to do a folk set here in Ireland in the summer. It went down very well, although we had a small enough crowd. All traditional stuff - King in particular accomplished himself excellently.
Thanks.  You're correct.  I didn't realize it was already three years old.

Read + King sounds like a great situation.  I'd like to hear that.

While we're talking folk, this guy/people have really upped their game.  They seemed like they had a lot of potential at the beginning, and now it appears they're realizing it.  They do some interesting special editions as well, though my opinion on these things goes back and forth.

https://sangredemuerdago.bandcamp.com/album/os-segredos-da-raposa-vermella-ep
I only buy vinyl, d00ds.

burdizzo

I actually do have a video recording of it, which I've sent to Andrew. The sound ain't of 'release quality', so it's for him to do as he will with it.

Thanks for the Sangre de Muerdago tip - nice. Don't know them, but a bit like Arnica, only more organic, no?

Urban Noise

Not really, Arnica is more raw and primitive than Sangre de Muerdago. Sangre is very melodic and soft folk.
New Approach Records
www.nghproductions.limitedrun.com
www.newapproachrecords.wordpress.com
www.nekrogoatheresyproductions.wordpress.com