Dead Body Love

Started by Peterson, July 12, 2012, 10:24:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peterson

What are some favorites? Mine are as follows:

Lo-Fi Power Carnage - Probably one of the best harsh noise albums in existence, forever. Just pure static crunch and pulse with lots of rhythmic sections. This should appeal to any harsh head.

Maximum Dose - Basically the same formula, but more layering and a little more variation in sound. Probably used different configurations of his setup for each track, whereas LFPC sounds like the same one every time. Long compositions of churning, scraping industrial noise. Relentless. I have never heard another release that matches the fury of this, except for "Chronicle of Serial Murder" by Slogun.

Audiocide '95 - Basically continuing the saga but with some more evolutions, high-pitched noises coming though 200% more, and more chaotic structure. Although it's not quite on the level of "cut up" style artists, there's some chaos as well as control. A whole lot of Incapacitants-type feedback seems to dominate every release I've heard from this one onward, but still with the rumble and explosiveness heard in older stuff. A classic!

Repugnance isn't too bad, either.

audiodissection

so many top-notch here...some of personal choices:

- Lo-fi Power Carnage
- Tumours (MSNP)
- Metal Induced Orgasm (Self Abuse)
- Horrors Of The Human Body (Less Than Zero)
- Puke On My Corpse (Bloodlust!)
- Annihilition Devices (LTZ)

a good start would be the CDr called "Retrocuts" he did a while ago. As title suggest a recollection of tracks from his best tapes.

tisbor

Gabriele is the greatest Italian noise artist!
All the stuff i listened to from his various projects is great.
Dead Body Love remains my favorite (classics apart i recommend his recent "Arabia Terra" CDr on Xerxes) but Discordance and Oleoresin Capsicum are top notch. The first is usually quite rare and maybe deserves some reissues, but the latter is easy to find.
I had the pleasure of doing various splits and collaborations with him: great guy to work with and a sincere noise maniac.

THE RITA HN

yes - one of, if not THE greatest as an influence for me personally.
I've talked about his work a lot, but again -
top 5 favorites:
LOW-FI POWER CARNAGE
EMETIC
TUMOURS
DESTRUCTION'S GEOMETRY
ANNIHILATION DEVICES

Worthless.

Check out his project Discordance, also some really great material!!!

Mikerdeath

Grace (12 Year's Old) B/W Child Stew
Classy.
Dead Body Love is perfection.
Quote from: tisbor on July 13, 2012, 12:17:12 AMa sincere noise maniac.

Bloated Slutbag

I remember how excited I was when DBL first assaulted the auditory passages (in my case via Metal-Induced Orgasm (1995)). In my excitement I may have gotten a bit carried away, pronouncing DBL heir apparent to the Merzbow throne; though, per the familiar narrative of such things, a similar title seems to have been retroactively bestowed – by The Rita anyway. It was less a sense of vision than one of crystallization. Much like The Rita's HNW, DBL represented a refining, or focusing, of a certain strain I enjoyed very much. A strain characterized by seemingly crowded surplus of sounds fighting against one another in a vain effort to be heard above the net flatulence. "Pure putrefying overbludgeon," or something to that effect, was one favored phrase. "Unrefined overkill" was another. Presented mainly against forces deemed hostile to what I knew and loved. What did I know and love? No more than something so devoid of any attempt at justification that even self-styled audiophiles in the experimental field hated the shit – the RAW FILTH – for its uncompromising lack of concession to higher-minded fidelity. DBL represented everything that not only People Who Don't Like Noise didn't like about Le Shit but what People Who Think They Like Noise But Actually Don't didn't. Or so I would like to have phantasized. One could go on to suggest that The Rita was a natural progression, a further refining and focusing, of the, um, overbludgered strain. And fortunately, one not quite so short-lived.

Much like a lot of their mid-90's contemporaries, DBL burnt themselves out in very short order. One could smell the beginnings of the ends in things like the Human/Machine collab with Thirdorgan – conceptually sound, but the worst I'd yet heard from either artist – and the higher-end but lower-impact Inhumanities (1997). If DBL were trying to re-fire their jets, it was with muted success. Sniffing another misfire, I gave Annihilation Devices Part 2  a miss... and then the project went on a fucking ten year hiatus. Before that happened, however, Horrors Of The Human Body came to pass.

Horrors Of The Human Body (1996) was the end of an era as far I'm concerned, the last truly great DBL released on Giuliani's own Less Than Zero. A denser, heavier DBL, less saturated but much more suffocating. Much more. As flatulence gives way to a smoother, nuanced, presentation, some of the irritated audiophile contingent might a last begin to grant DBL granules of grudging respect. But, in the dialect of my former excitement,  fuck 'em. Save the DBL for those who give a shit. Or should I say, Le Shit.

Giuliani also deserves credit for time served as Less Than Zero, issuing top work from around the noiseworld. I think I've got every single LTZ – except, ha!, Annihilation Devices Part 2 -  and they are all classics. Every single one. A particular favorite is the Original Soundtrack compilation, for which I'd like to wankerously quote my own review:

QuoteFor those BIG DUMMIES still confused about the differences between power electronics and noise, Less Than Zero have provided the ideal pedagogical case study. With enough Original Soundtracks going around, confusion will soon be a thing of the past. All budding musicologists should have one - a handy reference source perfect for category hounds in search of clarity. Finally. The dichotomy is made crystal clear over sixty minutes of scrupulously split sonics. Original Soundtrack divides into two distinct halves: Power Side and Ultra Side. Power Side is dominated by Americans and Italians. Five of the six Ultra Side contributors are Japanese. On one side we have bands like Murder Corporation, Atrax Morgue and Deathpile. On the other, bands like Thirdorgan, Building of Gel and Cock ESP. On one side, we have song titles like "Raped to Death", "Whore Trash" and "Blindfold". On the other, titles like "FGKYKFALHNGR", "Chris Masonobu and Nakamoto Cozy" and "I don't want to buy Samurai Bond." If you're still confused, I'm afraid you're a lost cause
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

tisbor

QuoteFor those BIG DUMMIES still confused about the differences between power electronics and noise, Less Than Zero have provided the ideal pedagogical case study. With enough Original Soundtracks going around, confusion will soon be a thing of the past. All budding musicologists should have one - a handy reference source perfect for category hounds in search of clarity. Finally. The dichotomy is made crystal clear over sixty minutes of scrupulously split sonics. Original Soundtrack divides into two distinct halves: Power Side and Ultra Side. Power Side is dominated by Americans and Italians. Five of the six Ultra Side contributors are Japanese. On one side we have bands like Murder Corporation, Atrax Morgue and Deathpile. On the other, bands like Thirdorgan, Building of Gel and Cock ESP. On one side, we have song titles like "Raped to Death", "Whore Trash" and "Blindfold". On the other, titles like "FGKYKFALHNGR", "Chris Masonobu and Nakamoto Cozy" and "I don't want to buy Samurai Bond." If you're still confused, I'm afraid you're a lost cause

that's a great review!

Bloated Slutbag

Thanks, though that was just the intro. Was too embarrassed to repost the the second half - which probably belongs in the "Noise and intoxication" thread - but, what the hey. I don't need much encouragement, so:

QuoteMark Solotroff has the Power first and executes a mostly powerless bumbling breather that bumps along a bubbling basin of brazen bass-tones. Murder Corporation opens up a few fluctuating frequencies, flittering freely from ski slop to razor glade in a way that could only be called "Deranged." Atrax Morgue consults the old classic, "How to Amuse Yourself in a Coffin," and spends the following few minutes - titled, appropriately enough, "Electrodeathexitement" - excitedly salivating all over his home away from home. Taint churns out a heavy mass of ruddy-cheeked, ironclad, trashcycle which seems somehow better-suited for Ultra Side. But that's OK. Noise-cum-PE can use a little ambiguity. Deathpile pokes about the "Killing Ground" for a while before succumbing to the usual urges and letting loose a few pelvically-preferential spewages in obsessively grim, oomph-laden, solidarity. Power outs with sniggering feedback-seething clunk-sputter courtesy of DBL PE alter-ego Discordance. Side Ultra explodes with the strategically-placed Pain Jerk, who promptly whips out his pinwheeling, rhythmic medley of blended contact thunkery, and sets about rendering the looped spaghetti-mess utterly incoherent. Building of Gel try their hand at spring-action disco bloop-squelch, as piles of hollowed-out tubular piping bounce unevenly along the perimeter. Cock ESP roughly rage at gawkily-diced Juntaro - that would be "Mr Masturbation" to you - and succeed in settling at least one score on who is and is not The Chef. Thirdorgan balances precariously between zippy fuzz-streak and smarmy suicide bombers smoking cigars in curbside vans. Kazumoto Endo appears to have temporarily confused himself with rustcovered Pain Jerk. Yes, there's plenty of scrap-metal to go around, but the two kings of arrhythmic waltz-crunch whirli will hear nothing of it: choked-back jackhammer-slam and yelping laser fight of shrill scree-burn. Incapacitants continue their pattern of riddling titles with stock tips. This isn't just noise. It's a capital gains bible. The noise? No self-respecting noiseperv would bother asking. Suffice to say, when Mikawa and pal say they don't want to buy Samurai Bond, they mean it. Noise doesn't get any more Ultra than that.

Apologies for that. No idea what I was smoking.
Someone weaker than you should beat you and brag
And take you for a drag

tisbor

Frankly i can't complain about the second part either

Half Aborted

Recently been making my way through Nechronology after being seriously impressed with Lo-Fi Power Carnage. More varied than I was expected but still displays an impressive command and control of crunchy noise textures. Would definitely pick up a second box of re-issues!

Half Aborted

I was after it for almost 2 years, keep an eye on Discogs, got mine new for 55 euros.

dogcw

DBL is in severe need of something like the Skin Crime "Case Studies" treatment. The Nechronology box just doesn't do the work justice in my opinion. I was stoked to get this box years ago, but for each original I track down and every reissue that has come out since then, it makes me realize how subpar the dubbing/mastering is on this box. Completely dull sounding and totally lacking the ripping crusty power of all his works. Desperate to hear the massive walls of "Annihilation Devices" in all their glory. Not to mention many other tapes not included in this box such as Unplugged, Metal Induced Orgasm and Panic System. Anyone else share my view on this box or is my copy a fluke, and anyone know the possibility of further reissues? Seems like Gabriele is still an easy contact.

New Forces

From what I can tell in conversations with other people that own that box, all the dubs are sadly pretty lo-fi. Mine certainly is. I bought Nechronology when it came out, and I've since acquired original versions of some of the tapes, and the originals sound WAY better.
New Forces
https://newforces.bigcartel.com

Kjostad
Breaking The Will
Form Hunter
Cryocene

ligature impression

Quote from: dogcw on April 10, 2018, 09:55:10 PM
DBL is in severe need of something like the Skin Crime "Case Studies" treatment. ... Desperate to hear the massive walls of "Annihilation Devices" in all their glory. Not to mention many other tapes not included in this box such as Unplugged, Metal Induced Orgasm and Panic System. Anyone else share my view on this box or is my copy a fluke, and anyone know the possibility of further reissues? Seems like Gabriele is still an easy contact.
Was just talking to someone about this. Would love to get masters-quality reissues solo or in a box, and Metal Induced Orgasm would be a necessity!