Toetag pictures

Started by Levas, July 04, 2012, 10:13:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Levas

To all those interested in gore - Toetag pictures on 4th of july is selling all normal editions of their movies for 7.76$

About them:

Toetag Pictures is an independent horror movie studio in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. It is known for its use of copious violence and gore that far exceeds that of more mainstream films.

In 2001, Fred Vogel directed "August Underground" with defunct production company Absu Films. Vogel self-released 200 copies of AU on VHS tape in 2002. Shortly thereafter, Vogel, Jerami Cruise, Michael Schneider, Christie Whiles, Shelby Jackson, and Killjoy begin production of the film's sequel, August Underground's Mordum. Schneider left the crew shortly after the wrap of production on Mordum. He released his own cut of the film, subtitled "The Maggot Cut", and the official cut of the film was released on DVD in 2003. Over time, Mordum gained considerable controversy and was listed as the Sickest Film Ever Made by Horror Brain of IGN.com[1]. The film was also banned in several countries due to the extremely graphic nature of the film. Despite, or possibly due to, the controversy over the film, it was met with considerable critical acclaim and press coverage, being featured in several international magazines and publication. Killjoy left the crew as well in 2003 to focus on his metal band Necrophagia, for which Vogel directed the music video for the band's song "Rue Morgue Disciple" and the band's documentary "Sickcess". After Mordum's release, Vogel and Cruise incorporate Toetag Pictures on April 1, 2004.

Now an officially incorporated film studio, Toetag Pictures provided special make-up effects and acting in Nick Palumbo's film, "Murder Set Pieces". Toetag also opened their first studio in Bellevue, PA around the same time. "August Underground" gets its first official release on DVD in 2005. En route to the 2005 Rue Morgue Festival of Fear horror convention in Toronto, Fred Vogel was stopped by Canadian customs officers for transporting merchandise across the border; the officers confiscated the contents of his van, including Toetag promotional materials as well as copies of Mordum and the original August Underground, and shortly thereafter Vogel was arrested for smuggling obscene materials into Canada. While the Toetag merchandise was undergoing "further inspection" in Ottawa, Vogel was held in a Canadian customs jail; after roughly ten hours, he was released and charges were dropped.

In a radical transitional effort, TTP released their third film, "The Redsin Tower" on DVD and sell out each premier screening. Where the first two AU films were in an unorthodox faux-snuff style, Redsin was done in a more traditional narrative style and was met with critical acclaim. After the film's release, Toetag closed their studio in Bellevue to relocate to Los Angeles, CA. This decision was reached after the completion of the third and final August Underground film, "August Underground's Penance". Toetag then decides to stay headquartered in Pittsburgh and moves to a large warehouse in the city's West End. The studio began the production of their 5th film in their new location, a new approach to the Mondo film entitled "Murder Collection V.1". TTP released the film's trailer without any prior press or announcement of the film's production, and released the film on DVD in April 2009. Shortly after the film's release, founding member Christie Whiles left the company in order to pursue her own endeavors. In 2009, Toetag began work on their newest effort "Mask Head," directed by Scott Swan, the co-author of Cigarette Burns. In October 2010, Toetag released its newest film "Sella Turcica."

Levas

I'm sure it's worth something. As for me personally - the 3rd part of the trilogy was the best. it was done best and the overall mood was not only filth and gore, but also with somewhat darker feeling. the gories and the harshest is the 2nd one and the first one is good to watch. as for Maskhead - quite disappointing but some nice sfx.

H.H*D.H

ToeTag is kind of meh for me. It was new and cool when I was a teenager and liked extreme gore but as I got older it just got boring. You can incorporate violence and sex and such into film and still have something more than gore for gores sake (Irreversible by Gaspar Noe comes to mind). This subgenre of horror (and horror as genre itself, pretty much) has been quite dead for me for a long time. It just cannot grab my interest. On the other hand films by Michael Todd Schneider are way more interesting than anything by Vogel just because the surreality of Todd's creations. Would rather recommend I Never Left the White Room by Todd and Maggot Films than anything by ToeTag Pictures and Vogel.

vomitgore

Quote from: Levas on July 04, 2012, 12:08:36 PM
I'm sure it's worth something. As for me personally - the 3rd part of the trilogy was the best. it was done best and the overall mood was not only filth and gore, but also with somewhat darker feeling. the gories and the harshest is the 2nd one and the first one is good to watch. as for Maskhead - quite disappointing but some nice sfx.

I was also REALLY disappointed by Maskhead. Too much (bad) plot and only a handful of good kill scenes, but the FX are great. But it's no miracle, as Fred Vogel is a graduate at Tom Savini's SFX school. Redsin Tower was horribly bad and Murder Compilation No. 1 was also really boring and dull. I liked Sella Turcica, but you can't compare it to AU, because it's sort of a drama/horror mix.

August Underground is quite cool. Apparently the director left dubbed VHS tapes of the first installment just lying around in various places, which is kinda awesome in my opinion. I liked "Snuff 102" a lot more than AU though, the experimental stuff and cut-ins do it for me, and I have never cared too much about the whole hand-held Blair Witch Project thing. But especially Mordum and Penance are worth checking out simply for the gore

online prowler

Quote from: vomitgore on July 17, 2012, 09:31:51 PM
Quote from: Levas on July 04, 2012, 12:08:36 PM

I was also REALLY disappointed by Maskhead. Too much (bad) plot and only a handful of good kill scenes, but the FX are great. But it's no miracle, as Fred Vogel is a graduate at Tom Savini's SFX school. Redsin Tower was horribly bad and Murder Compilation No. 1 was also really boring and dull. I liked Sella Turcica, but you can't compare it to AU, because it's sort of a drama/horror mix.

August Underground is quite cool. Apparently the director left dubbed VHS tapes of the first installment just lying around in various places, which is kinda awesome in my opinion. I liked "Snuff 102" a lot more than AU though, the experimental stuff and cut-ins do it for me, and I have never cared too much about the whole hand-held Blair Witch Project thing. But especially Mordum and Penance are worth checking out simply for the gore

Poor craftsmanship all the way. Sad and pathetic. Just watching the trailer for Maskhead detain me from experiencing all Toetag productions. A waste of time and life.